Walt Disney,
Pope Paul VI,
Gerald Ford,
George H W Bush,
...several others

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've met a lot of famous people for a second or two, but these are people I've actually spoken to beyond a "fake smile and handshake"...

Being a Div 1 basketball athletic trainer, I've met a ton of famous coaches - Bobby Knight, Bruce Pearl, and Gary Williams stand out for some reason.

Smush Parker (NBA) and John Skelton (Arizona Cardinals starting QB for a season or two) were my athletes when I was at Fordham.

Our team orthopedist at one of the schools I worked at was a hot shot doctor who had a ton of celebrities for patients. I saw a few celebrities here and there when I brought athletes to the doc's office. One day the doctor's PA asked me to show someone how to tape an ankle. I was the guy everyone went to to get taped in most training rooms I worked in. I walked into the room and Angelina Jolie is on the exam table. It took me a second to get my bearings straight. I taped her ankle while explaining what I was doing to her handler (I really have no clue who he was; probably an on-set medic or something). She was very appreciative and liked the way I taped her.

I walked out thinking "did that really just happen?" I wasn't star struck or anything, but I totally wasn't expecting to see her. Funny thing is, she's not nearly as good looking in person as she is on screen. It wasn't a hair and makeup thing, as she looked like herself. Honestly, I've met many prettier everyday women. In retrospect it was kind of a letdown in that regard.

Bill Walton was a guest speaker one year at a preseason fundraiser banquet for a basketball team I was working with. Somehow he ended up sitting at my table. I was sitting with my wife and a bunch of the players. He wanted to sit with the guys rather than some honorary head table. He was a great guy. Lots of talk about Grateful Dead concerts and his UCLA days with John Wooden.

I've met Mike Tyson several times. He's a friend of a friend.

Last one - Henry Winkler. We were at a hotel in Amherst, MA for a game vs UMass. There was a Sci-Fi convention going on. Winkler was at the hotel bar with a few friends, but he had nothing to do with the convention. A few of the convention goers saw him and started acting like idiots - doing Fonzie and Adam Sandler Waterboy impressions. He gave them a polite smile, talked to them for a few minutes and took a few pictures, but you could tell he wasn't as thrilled as they were. The coaches and I drank a few beers with him afterwards and had a few good natured laughs about what happened. He was a nice guy.

Ok, last last one... My wife and I used to shop at the same grocery store as Gene Wilder in Greenwich, CT. We saw him there several times. One day a woman asked him if he minded if she introduced her son to him as Willy Wonka. He was great about it, so I asked if our daughter could meet him too (my wife and daughter were in another isle). He said "absolutely" with a smile. My daughter was only 2, and kind of looked at him like Willy Wonka's not that old. A few years later after he died, I saw an interview where he said Willy Wonka was his most satisfying role because he loved the look on kids' faces when parents introduced him as Willy Wonka. I guess it was a regular thing.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't know where to start, having worked in the entertainment industry for years. But a couple memories stand out. Ringo Starr literally bumped into me as he walked out of an office door while I was walking down the corridor. We talked for a few minutes and then we walked to the elevator and rode it down together. In all my years working in the business I only asked for a few autographs. His was one of em. Absolutely great guy!
Paul Newman was one of the first people I met in my career. I was a 20 year old newbie, and I rode a BMX bike around the studio lot ( it was common to ride bikes because the lot was so big) and being a hot dog on a bike, I unexpectedly caught his attention, and we talked for quite a while about cars and dirt bikes. He had a great sense of humor. His dressing room ( a 30 foot motor home) didn't have his name on the door as is customary. His said Linda Lovelace. He also did a lot of cooking in that motor home. And he loved his beer, another thing we had in common, lol.
upload_2017-6-2_23-50-24.png

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not Dr Who Cons as such, just general Cons. But Dr Who is he show everyone in the family is into, so we tend to concentrate on those guests.
Hey no arguments from me I love doctor who have since Peter Davison days. Loving Peter capaldi he's awesome (tonight's episode looks awesome)

Damm just showed what a nerd I am lol

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've met tons of big time celebrities. Unfortunately, most of them were at work, so HIPPA laws don't allow me to talk about it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMG_20170527_202912.jpg
I was a bodyguard to brad pitts door. And Johnny Depps trailer.

I got yelled at by jimmy Barnes once because I wasn't going going to let his wife on stage.

Recently met james blundel. Got a photo.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That reminds me I have meant a lot of famous news people.... and then asked them to leave....back in my state security days....... But they were only famous locally

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, well my wife & I, because she's a freakin' magnet, have met the band members of Nickelback, Buckcherry, Hinder, Puddle of Mudd and a few more at music festivals and the like. I met Warren Moon at a Houston nightclub, with my wife of course who recognized him first. Big guy. Really nice guy. Met Marcus Allen in the entrance to The Mirage in Las Vegas, again with my lady. Met some other professional sports guys for the Rockets, Astros and Texans because of the things we do.

Sheesh this is becoming a theme....

Oh! I met Chuck Norris in person and spoke briefly to him BEFORE I met her, so there. Also, Charles Barkely during his playing days witht he Suns at a bar called Crush Bar in Houston.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
have met and been honored to
spend time with: Bill "SUPERFOOT" Wallace

Have seen (in concert) (save your country music
jokes & generalizations.. :) )
Garth Brooks
George Strait
Randy Travis

Reactions: JP3

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice. How did you meet JFK and Mantle?
Kennedy made a speech at the New Orleans City Hall in 1962 that my father was invited to attend. My family was able to meet him and my father got a picture with him.

Attended the 1964 World's Fair in New York City. My father had been a semi-pro ball player so while there we attended a Yankees ball game. Stayed afterwards and got a pennant signed by him.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interacted, spent time with (including as a kid), trained under, protected, worked out with or hung out - Ted Williams, Whitey Ford, Roger Marris, Joe Pepitone, Rocky Marciano, Wayne Gretsky, Janet Jones, Bill Russell, Sam Jones, Shaq, Carl Yaztremski, Bill Spaceman Lee, William Clayton Moore, Joe Torre, Sinbad, Emmanual Lewis, (I really like Manny) Ron Howard, Carrie Fisher (smartest person in the room. Any room), Michael Biehn, Sharon Stone, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Bryce Courtenay, Mitch Albom, Dave Barry, Gary Marshall, Penny Marshall, Alan Greenspan, Janet Yellen, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hearns, Carlos Palamino, Gene Simmons, Queen Latifah (class act), Jean Claude Van Dammme, Pierce Brosnan, Boom Boom Mancini, Rickson Gracie, Relson Gracie, Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, Ed Parker, Wally Jay, Tadashi Yamashita, Henry Cho, J Park, Billy Blanks, George Mattson, Steve Armstrong, Nick Cerio, Fred Villari, Aaron Banks, Franco Harris, Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Andre Tippet, Stanley Morgan, Joe Nameth, Derreck Sanderson, Bobby Orr, Liv Tyler, Steven Tyler, Larry Bird, Jack Lemmon, George Carlin, Hal Holbrook, Yul Brenner, Paula Abdul, Killer Kawolski, Ivan Putski, Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant.....and more crooked American politicians than I care to admit to.

Other than notoriety, they're not any more, or less, crazy, than any of us lunatics here.

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last one - Henry Winkler. We were at a hotel in Amherst, MA for a game vs UMass. There was a Sci-Fi convention going on. Winkler was at the hotel bar with a few friends, but he had nothing to do with the convention. A few of the convention goers saw him and started acting like idiots - doing Fonzie and Adam Sandler Waterboy impressions. He gave them a polite smile, talked to them for a few minutes and took a few pictures, but you could tell he wasn't as thrilled as they were. The coaches and I drank a few beers with him afterwards and had a few good natured laughs about what happened. He was a nice guy.
I met Henry Winkler too. I met him at a convention and he was quite cool. I've heard people say stuff about him that he's not a nice person but he was nice when I met him. I also met Corey Feldman who has a bit of a bad reputation but he was quite cool too when I met him.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't know where to start, having worked in the entertainment industry for years. But a couple memories stand out. Ringo Starr literally bumped into me as he walked out of an office door while I was walking down the corridor. We talked for a few minutes and then we walked to the elevator and rode it down together. In all my years working in the business I only asked for a few autographs. His was one of em. Absolutely great guy!
You met Ringo, wow! He is one of the only two Beatles still alive and he also seems to be the one that gets the least attention. It would be really interesting to meet him. I would really like to meet Paul McCartney but I don't see that as a possibility. The closest I've come to meeting Paul is I've met people who've met him.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I, well my wife & I, because she's a freakin' magnet, have met the band members of Nickelback, Buckcherry, Hinder, Puddle of Mudd and a few more at music festivals and the like. I met Warren Moon at a Houston nightclub, with my wife of course who recognized him first. Big guy. Really nice guy. Met Marcus Allen in the entrance to The Mirage in Las Vegas, again with my lady. Met some other professional sports guys for the Rockets, Astros and Texans because of the things we do.

Sheesh this is becoming a theme....

Oh! I met Chuck Norris in person and spoke briefly to him BEFORE I met her, so there. Also, Charles Barkely during his playing days witht he Suns at a bar called Crush Bar in Houston.
When I was selling furniture to put myself through college, i sold a bunch of stuff to warren moon's designer. :) he's a local hero and I still listen to him for all the Seahawks games, even if I'm watching the tv.

Reactions: JP3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Douglas Bader, (not a nice man but a hero all the same) the Queen, the Princess Royal, Zara Phillips, Ian Fleming, Christopher Lee, Churchill, Montgomery of Alamein, Lt.Col Jack Churchill ( look him up if you don't know who he is) and Viscount Slim ( look him up too) Claude Auchinleck. I've met various 'celebrities' but in my circles they aren't really that interesting.
The best for me were when I started my RAF career, many of the senior officers were some of 'The Few', after that celebrities seemed pale by comparison.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Douglas Bader, (not a nice man but a hero all the same) the Queen, the Princess Royal, Zara Phillips, Ian Fleming, Christopher Lee, Churchill, Montgomery of Alamein, Lt.Col Jack Churchill ( look him up if you don't know who he is) and Viscount Slim ( look him up too) Claude Auchinleck. I've met various 'celebrities' but in my circles they aren't really that interesting.
The best for me were when I started my RAF career, many of the senior officers were some of 'The Few', after that celebrities seemed pale by comparison.

So you met the Queen, you must mean Queen Elizabeth II. Wow! She is amazing! 91 years old and still going strong. Prince Philip too. He's 95. Maybe she will be 100 and still be queen.

Latest Discussions