More Global Unrest

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
American representatives added, “The US Embassy will continue to make tea in the proper way — by microwaving it.” 😳

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I just make tea with salty sea water. The bio organisms make my gut strong and the salt overwhelms the taste of the tea.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, be angry. It’s a disgrace!

(Actually, I thought the US Embassy treated this with a great sense of humour 😅)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Being perhaps a little more serious, it sounds like they’re getting at mitigating bitterness, which comes up in coffee from time to time.

most of the points raised in this video are relevant for tea, as well.

Thats exactly what the logic is. The issue though, if you're using it for a purpose other than just the taste/caffeine, the bitterness is actually important. Same for coffee.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Step one for making better tea in the US would be to purchase a kettle. I don’t think most people have one.
I'm a kettle person. I'm probably strange but boiled kettle water doesn't seem the same as microwaved hot water. The taste seems to be different. I guess one can say that it's like how microwaved food doesn't taste the same as food on the stove.

Cooking water vs Heating water? Water heated in metal vs water heated in ceramics. I'm not sure what it is but it seems like there's a big difference. Maybe it's just me?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Step one for making better tea in the US would be to purchase a kettle. I don’t think most people have one.
I'd be curious what the numbers are on that. Most people that I've talked with about the topic have a kettle, but I'd imagine that's not representative of the US as a whole.

I also think it'd be different in the different regions

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'd be curious what the numbers are on that. Most people that I've talked with about the topic have a kettle, but I'd imagine that's not representative of the US as a whole.

I also think it'd be different in the different regions
Im curious too. I’d be shocked if it’s over 20% of US households, though. Higher in Canada.

I have one that I use for coffee and occasionally for tea.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thats exactly what the logic is. The issue though, if you're using it for a purpose other than just the taste/caffeine, the bitterness is actually important. Same for coffee.
Why would you drink coffee or tea for other than taste or caffeine? I don’t get it. I feel silly, but if you’re not drinking it for taste and you’re not interested in a pick me up, what else is there?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have a kettle, I have about 3 actually, and they are for tea... not coffee.... I have other things for coffee...not for tea......
I’m not surprised. You’re a big tea drinker, if I remember correctly.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keeping this simple because I'm not an expert, and also not at my laptop to provide any specific references:
Why would you drink coffee or tea for other than taste or caffeine? I don’t get it. I feel silly, but if you’re not drinking it for taste and you’re not interested in a pick me up, what else is there?

For health reasons. I can't speak to coffee as much, but certain teas can be great for supporting different health things. And bitters help with some issues, so a bitter taste in your tea can be part of that. For instance, I'm not a fan of the taste of green tea, but I'll still drink it because it's helpful.

With coffee, what comes to mind is people drinking to help with hangovers. I'm not a coffee drinker, but bitters help settle your stomach a bit, due mostly to the taste and how your body reacts to that, so they can help with hangovers.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Keeping this simple because I'm not an expert, and also not at my laptop to provide any specific references:

For health reasons. I can't speak to coffee as much, but certain teas can be great for supporting different health things. And bitters help with some issues, so a bitter taste in your tea can be part of that. For instance, I'm not a fan of the taste of green tea, but I'll still drink it because it's helpful.

With coffee, what comes to mind is people drinking to help with hangovers. I'm not a coffee drinker, but bitters help settle your stomach a bit, due mostly to the taste and how your body reacts to that, so they can help with hangovers.
I’m very curious. I am not a scientist, but I know a lot more about coffee than most people. So it’s pretty uncommon for something like this to be totally unfamiliar to me. But I have never heard anything like an association with bitterness and health. If you can find any link to get me started, I am super curious.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m very curious. I am not a scientist, but I know a lot more about coffee than most people. So it’s pretty uncommon for something like this to be totally unfamiliar to me. But I have never heard anything like an association with bitterness and health. If you can find any link to get me started, I am super curious.
If I haven't by sunday send me a reminder. Probably not going to tonight, and I might forget in the morning. It's really interesting cause it didn't make sense to me when a doc first explained it to me, but the research seems to be there if you know what to look for.

Latest Discussions