Moo Do Kwan

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My buddy stared taking Moo Do Tae Kwon Do w/ his kids. He's a BB in TKD but doesn't know the history of the style. Can anyone help me?

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
My buddy stared taking Moo Do Tae Kwon Do w/ his kids. He's a BB in TKD but doesn't know the history of the style. Can anyone help me?
I'm no expert, but I've never heard of a kwan called "Moo Do". I believe the phrase "Mu Do" is a generic expression that equates to "fighting art", or "fighting way". My guess is that the "Moo Do Tae Kwon Do" is just a title for the school your friend is attending, and has no other meaning.

At the very least, the owner of the school should be well versed on the history (if any) of a "Moo Do Kwan"

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
can't tell you its history but it was my first art. Don't know how much it has changed in the last 30 years but it looked like any other TKD back then with a lot of kicks, little hands and no ground work. Still in all it was a good starting point

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. He says it seems like a good school. I just wondered about history.

Maybe Miles knows. Hey Miles!:)

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Could it have been Moo Duk Kwan instead?

I thought maybe I miss heard it, too. But its Moo Do Kwan TKD & they give Kukiwon rank.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Gemini! I noticed that Moo Do Kwan was founded by (Olympic Gold medalist) Jimmy Kim's father. That's certainly a good start to a lineage.

By buddy is in St. Louis. From what I can tell on a site from his school, there doesn't seem to be a connection to California & the Kims. But I may be wrong. John enjoys the classes & says they're really tough. He said, "The classes are taught by an American guy. But warm-ups are lead by this 'little old Korean master' that works us to death."

I'll see if I can find a connection.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my earlier post was inncorrect bedause i thought you had misspelle my first system wa Moo Duk Kwan . I miss spell so often i didn't think about it

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
so the system of Moo Do Tae Kwon Do was started on Beach Blvd. only about 15 years ago?

Or was it started befor the olimpics

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
so the system of Moo Do Tae Kwon Do was started on Beach Blvd. only about 15 years ago?

Or was it started befor the olimpics

Yeah, I wonder. The folks in St. Louis have a diferent history too. It appears that different groups just used the Korean word for MA when they started their schools. Both seem legit & solid, tho.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moo Duk Kwan - Was not founded by Grand Master Kim but in fact founded by Hwang Kee in 1945. He meet Grand Master Kim and study with him by some, he of course denies this. He Son Jimmy Kim teaches the Moo Duk Kwan way. I hope this helps.
Terry

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry:

Jimmy's dad's style is Moo DO Kwan (not Moo Duk Kwan) according to that article.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Terry:

Jimmy's dad's style is Moo DO Kwan (not Moo Duk Kwan) according to that article.

I understand the article but I have been told other storys just adding some other people views. I was not there, so I only know what some other have said. Who really knows the truth, something to think about.
Terry

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I understand the article but I have been told other storys just adding some other people views. I was not there, so I only know what some other have said. Who really knows the truth, something to think about.
Terry

Isn't it great?:) As a wise man once said here:), "God Bless America."

Latest Discussions