Money you spent on Martial Arts.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Todays I was thinking how much money have I spent on martial arts in my 2 years of training.

How much do you think you spent on your martial arts.

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have spent at least 4 thousand with getting gear tournaments semianrs and class dues weapons uniforms and other stuff thats alot for 2 and a half years don't you think? but I Have over been to over 40 tournaments. So not that bad. What about you have you spent a small foturne?

:asian: :asian::asian:

M

Master of Blades

No more then £300, which is pretty good considering we have a load of swords sticks and training gear, our class is free, been to a few tournaments, and a few seminars. I'm pretty happy with that :D And about £40 for the Suit. Thats over 4 years :asian:

T

tkdcanada

Definitely in the thousands for the last year and a half - there are three of us, plus gear and tournaments. It's becoming less now that we've got all our gear, that was a big expense. It's a lot but when it's something you love to do, it's very much worth every cent.

T

tonbo

I can't put an exact dollar amount on my training.....but I can say that I could probably buy a fully-decked out, top of the line luxury car for what I've spent in the MA over the years.....

....or I could have sent a kid to college.....hehe.....

But I don't regret one single cent....

Peace--

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yikes!! It has to be a ton!! I have been in for 17 years and when I first started, it was $12.50 per month!! Nowadays, it costs me $30 per private lesson (which is currently all I can do since I live so far from my home studio and only make it up there once/month). My instructor is nice to me and charges nothing extra for the once/month class I also join into while I am up there.

However, before I moved away from the dojo, it had become a $38/month thing (with an hour total commute- so......add in some gas money there). Now let's add some sparring equiptment times about 3 sets.......plus a bunch of patches, uniforms.......oh.....and we can't forget the $20,000 knee surgery I had to pay after blowing my knee out on my 2nd brown test. And the $800 knee brace I must now wear to still train!! Did stick fighting for awhile.......so add some stick set fees and then there was the martial arts camps and tournaments and seminars I have gone to.......hmmmmmm..........Priceless!!

But alas.........even though I could also put my son thru college when he is old enough (only 16 months old right now) on what I have spent for martial arts.........I agree.........wouldn't give it up for anything- nor ask for the money back in exchange for the years of practice, fun, knowledge, friends, etc.

Still paying and loving it!! Do I have the martial arts money spent record?!! :asian: :karate:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thousands over the years just to work up to our BLACK Belt test.
It's been really a lot of cash over the years.

And, just to have the priviledge to test (the testing fee) for a 1st Dan TKD, WTF-Kukkiwon certified BLACK for me and my daughter, who's my long time training partner, the cost was almost $1K here in the States ... :(

P

progressivetactics

i should have stuck with TKD.. THink of all that money I could be getting now!

Maybe it could have paid for all the money I spent on tournaments, uniforms, weapons, instruction, clinics, trips...etc.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Between the Independent schools and my training in the Bujinkan. Without a doubt at least 10 grand. That is being conservative. But totally worth it.

P

progressivetactics

The only money I would want back is the $40 I paid for a sparring clinic with STeve Nasty Anderson, back in 1986. Even though he was the #1 fighter in the country, he wasn't worth the $40. I paid.

F

fissure

For the first 10 or 15 yrs alot! , since then...nothing.

And, just to have the priviledge to test (the testing fee) for a 1st Dan TKD, WTF-Kukkiwon certified BLACK for me and my daughter, who's my long time training partner, the cost was almost $1K here in the States ...
500 bucks a pop for 1st dan?!? Kukkiwon costs for a 1st dan certificate is around 100 dollars U.S., that's 400 dollars (give or take) in your Masters pocket for each of you. That brutal!:eek:

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
wow we sure have spent alot of money but as long as we love it who cares better then wasting it on stupid stuff

A

andurilking2

thousands of us dollars for tournaments but i ususally win all that back (roughly around 5,000 american dollars in the past year up front but i usually end up making money on tournaments.)

ive been through about 8 punching bags, (roughly 2 grand american dollars)

equipment (i own most of my equipment but i have spent around 1-200 dollars replacing tournament equip)

+ 3 uniforms (around 500 dollars american)

gym memberships (800 american dollars a year)

roughly 2500 on seminars
...ect you get the point its not cheap

T

tonbo

Ya know, MA may cost too damn much, but I have to say that I would consider it worth it.

When you think about how much money people waste on stupid stuff that goes away all too quickly, MA becomes an incredible value. You get plenty of benefits, both mental and physical (and spiritual, to some).......and, in most cases, you get what you pay for.

If I had to guess, I would say that I have easily spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $30,000 over the last 11 years. That includes payment for classes, uniforms, gear, tournaments, and everything else. Sick thing is, if someone offered to take back all of the MA stuff, including my training, and give me the money back, I would laugh at them.

I think it's a great investment. Painful in the wallet, sometimes, sure......but again, worth every cent (to me!).

I still laugh every time I either hear or say this during class: "I'm *paying* for this? I must be sick....".

Heh. Good times.

Peace--

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by tarabos
i don't think i want to think about how much i've spent....:(

Now that you mention it, I'd be afraid to tell my wife!:eek:

P

progressivetactics

money can't buy hapiness, but it can rent it in small hourly increments.

Latest Discussions