music in ma

A

andurilking2

does anyone listen to music to get pumped for ma and if u so what kind?

OP
P

progressivetactics

its got to be fast, loud and heavy.
Slipknot, MudVayne, Megadeth, Mettalica, Metal Church, Even oldies like Ted Nugent can foot the bill, if you throw in Wango Tango!

OP
P

paihequan

I am one of the more "interesting" schools out there as I awalys play music when teaching, usually Japanese Shakahachi Flute or Taiko Drums

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate it when my instructors play music... I find it incredibly distracting...course, that's probably because we're not into the same kind of music. If it were something instrumentall, I probably wouldn't mind as much. They don't do it often, so it isn't a huge issue.

-N-

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me the music should be subliminal. You can't spar and really listen to music. But "in the background" the beat can be beneficial.
:asian:

OP
P

progressivetactics

when I replied i was refering to before fighting, or on the way to class. Not during. I don't want speed metal while I'm trying to teach...although we should be trying to teach our students about not being distracted, while distracting them...right!!

I have occasionally played african instrumentals, and tai chi music in the back ground during class very low. I think there is a difference between listening to music, and having it on.

OP
T

tonbo

During class, we usually have one of the modern stations on the radio....very low, so it is not quite noticeable. However, we do turn music up for sparring, as it helps to get some of us to relax a bit more.....and get more "in the groove"......

If I am using music for my own purposes, like just working out or psyching myself up for class/sparring, etc, I tend to like more the techno bent. If I am working on flow or meditation, or just want to zone out a bit more, I will put on shakuhachi flute or something similar.

Music does have a pretty good way of influencing moods, I can say that for sure.....

Peace--

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My old kenpo instructor used to play salsa during the warm-up to give us a little rythm (sp). He was a Puerto Rican guy and used to give us all a hard time "cause white guys got no rythm." The school started going down hill when he started playing disco:shrug:

OP
G

gman

During lessons from one instructor we have Indonesian music playing thru the lesson. After having lessons without any music it was distracting at first but after a few minutes you don't even relize it's playing.

OP
P

progressivetactics

Disco started to make a slight come back....maybe the school will rebound now!

who knows...maybe it will open up at the

YMCA

sorry....had to be done.

OP
A

andurilking2

i listen to metal before ma but during martial arts i turn everything off.