"Money buys Freedom but not always happiness?"

Discussion in 'The Locker Room Bar & Grill' started by Chrisinmd, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Chrisinmd

Chrisinmd Orange Belt

I had an interesting discussion with a family member that you could buy freedom but not always happiness. I guess my take would be that this is at least partially true. From my personal experience I can buy plenty of things that are fun. Great vacation or experience that I really enjoy and had a lot of fun doing. Or an item i really enjoy. Not sure once these experiences are over im happy though. Guess I have good fun / happy memories to remember and smile about. Guess the other question would be if you are having fun are you happy? Are they one in the same thing?

I would relate this to drinking by saying when I go to a great party I have fun in the moment.

I would agree 100 percent that money buys freedom. Ive been poor earlier in my life and now I would say im comfortably middle class. Its no fun to be living paycheck to paycheck and worrying how you can put food on the table and pay the bills. Stuck in a job you hate because you have really no choice because you need the money. Money gives you the freedom to not worry about a lot of different things and pursue your hobbies and passions that you truly enjoy. Cant do that if your working 60 hours a week to survive

So any thoughts on "Money buys Freedom but not always happiness?"

2. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

money doesn't buy freedom unless you've got enough to buy your own island.
    it does however give you options, there are things you can choose not to do and thinks you can choose to do, that aren't available to those that are living payday to payday.

there a connection between mental well being and poverty, but not between happiness and increasing amounts of money. you just want more and unnecessary things . that in themselves will not increase your happiness at all

drunken fun isn't happiness, unless your still happy the next day, that why people buy alcohol, its happiness in a bottle

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  3. Chrisinmd

Chrisinmd Orange Belt

Very well said. That was my point exactly. "Options" is probably the better term for it that you used then how I described it as freedom.

Your correct happiness dosent increase with more money after a certain point. I seen a study that says once you hit the $70,000 a year any money on top of that dosent make you much more happier. Of course 70,000 grand goes a lot farther in rural Kansas than it does in New York City so you have to take cost of living into account. So basically once you have your basic needs are meant and you are comfortable any additional money doesn't increase your happiness that much.

4. Martial D

Martial D Senior Master

I would disagree on both counts. It doesn't buy you either.

Some of the happiest people I know have nothing, while some of the most miserable c#nts are rich.

Freedom..yes and no. Generally those that have lots are slaves to it. Sure they have more options, but they don't always really as their lives are enslaved to getting more and keeping it.

5. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Money might not buy happiness, but it's one hell of a down payment. I can say that because I've spent most of my life happy without having the accompanying money

But, heck fire and golly gee, I'd much rather cry in a Bentley. I'd look the berries in a Bentley.

6. granfire

granfire Sr. Grandmaster

try being poor and see how free you are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

I raised this idea in another thread.

There is a difference between happiness and fulfillment.

And I think people confuse the two.