MMA bashing on Kung Fu

Topdots

White Belt
Reaction score
So people say Wing Chun is ********. Well here is an old clip from the British Colony of China. Video taken in Hong Kong. Like you know how there are good football players and bad football players. I think Kung Fu is the same. There are bad Wing Chun and good Wing Chun fighters. You can find bad and good skills in all areas of life. There good politicians and then there are bad politicians you know. Enjoy the video. In the first video you witness good Wing Chun fighter vs Muay Thai.

So there are channels like Fight Commentary. And yeah there are many bad kung Fu fighters out there. But as i mentioned above. There are good fighters and bad fighters. Just training Wing Chun alone does not make you into Bruce Lee. You also need fights experiments. Also because there are so many bad Kung Fu fighters in China. MMA is bashing on Kung Fu guys. I mean training Wing Chun alone without fight experience. Does not make you into a fighter.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everyone bashes on everyone. I've even been in arguments on r/Taekwondo where the Taekwondoists there have no respect for Taekwondo. You can rage over it, or you can ignore the opinions of others.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are a lot of things that play into how effective a fighter you will be:
  • Experience
  • Quality of instruction
  • Dedication to practice
  • Natural talent
  • Quality of training partners
  • Fit with the martial art
  • Physical traits, such as height, weight, reach, stamina, strength, flexibility
  • Creativity, adaptability, improvisation skills
If you take an amateur MMA fighter who is not in great shape, and put him against someone who is 6'4", 300 lb of pure muscle, who has been in several fights for his life and come out unscathed, but whose martial arts base is Ameri-do-te and Rex Kwon Do, the guy training the silly arts will come out on top.

In the case of the 2nd video - the Wing Chun guy wasn't quick enough to get his hands up in front of the punch, which (from my very limited understanding of Wing Chun) is kind of the point.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. People can say what they want it doesn't matter to me I just keep doing what I do and forget about the rest. Strangers on the internet have 0 effect on my beliefs and opinions on systems. Just train that's all that matters

OP
T

Topdots

White Belt
Reaction score
  • Experience
  • Physical traits, such as height, weight, reach, stamina, strength, flexibility
In the case of the 2nd video - the Wing Chun guy wasn't quick enough to get his hands up in front of the punch, which (from my very limited understanding of Wing Chun) is kind of the point.

Well I agree with these. Because if you compare these two videos. The guy fighting Muay Thai has experience, strong muscles and is used to being hit in the face. There are so many Kung Fu amateurs out there. These people never had a fight in their life and call them self kung fu masters. That is big problem for Kung Fu these days. Look at this Wing Chun guy. He is so skinny and never got hit in his life. And he is crazy enough to Challenge MMA fighter that has at least fought 20 MMA matches. If you got zero fight experience. You should not go and challenge people with fight experience. In China this happens and it makes Kung Fu look so bad.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I agree with these. Because if you compare these two videos. The guy fighting Muay Thai has experience, strong muscles and is used to being hit in the face. There are so many Kung Fu amateurs out there. These people never had a fight in their life and call them self kung fu masters. That is big problem for Kung Fu these days. Look at this Wing Chun guy. He is so skinny and never got hit in his life. And he is crazy enough to Challenge MMA fighter that has at least fought 20 MMA matches. If you got zero fight experience. You should not go and challenge people with fight experience. In China this happens and it makes Kung Fu look so bad.

And in any other country there is no shortage of places to get that experience.

Get a few cheeky C class fights in before you go straight in to challenge matches.

The challenge match used to be the armour that protected the black belt ego. If you wanted to spar it would be their best guy for sheep stations. And so nobody did it.

And then suddenly with MMA martial artists started getting together without ego and sparred and worked out and not only didn't it matter if super sensai got manhandled by some skinny wrestler from nowhere. It was applauded as a victory for the school that they attracted in that kind of talent.

And guys got better fast.

And the kung fu schools that do it also get better fast.

And so if your aim is to be fulfilled rather than happy. To be exceptional rather than comfortable that is the experiences you need to chase. And don't let those who strive for mediocrity convince you otherwise.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't let it bother you. It's only a hand full of MMA guys that actually care about stuff like that. All of the other MMA guys are usually training and focusing on their goals which doesn't include trying to show that "Wing Chun sucks. "

Most of that noise come from MMA fans and not the fighters themselves.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So people say Wing Chun is ********. Well here is an old clip from the British Colony of China. Video taken in Hong Kong. Like you know how there are good football players and bad football players. I think Kung Fu is the same. There are bad Wing Chun and good Wing Chun fighters. You can find bad and good skills in all areas of life. There good politicians and then there are bad politicians you know. Enjoy the video. In the first video you witness good Wing Chun fighter vs Muay Thai.

So there are channels like Fight Commentary. And yeah there are many bad kung Fu fighters out there. But as i mentioned above. There are good fighters and bad fighters. Just training Wing Chun alone does not make you into Bruce Lee. You also need fights experiments. Also because there are so many bad Kung Fu fighters in China. MMA is bashing on Kung Fu guys. I mean training Wing Chun alone without fight experience. Does not make you into a fighter.

As a long time WC guy, I learned my lesson well before YouTube existed, unfortunately. Maybe I'll tell you about it sometime.

Athleticism is quite important, but technique is always a real factor, and not all systems are created equal.

As such,It is possible to be successful with classical wing chun, just very unlikely.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you take an amateur MMA fighter who is not in great shape, and put him against someone who is 6'4", 300 lb of pure muscle, who has been in several fights for his life and come out unscathed, but whose martial arts base is Ameri-do-te and Rex Kwon Do, the guy training the silly arts will come out on top.

My issue is this does not happen by accident. Your fast, fit and properly conditioned fighter doesn't just occur by magic. And if it is physicality is a deciding factor in winning a fight then Mabye dedicate some time towards gaining some.

Training takes care of that.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My issue is this does not happen by accident. Your fast, fit and properly conditioned fighter doesn't just occur by magic. And if it is physicality is a deciding factor in winning a fight then Mabye dedicate some time towards gaining some.

Most of it doesnt happen by accident. But im pretty sure i can guarantee you, no matter how hard i train i wont become anywhere close to 6'4", and no amount of bulking up theough muscle will make me 300 pounds-that would only happen if i got out of shape and put on a lot of fat.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Fitness and technique are two different things. So are knowledge and experience.

We have some students at my dojang with horribly sloppy forms, who can't remember half the steps, who are amazing sparrers. We have others who have beautiful techniques, but absolutely suck when there's another person (even if it's just a drill).

I've seen professional dancers with amazing body control who can't understand the difference between a side kick and a roundhouse kick. I've sparred old guys who look like they can barely move when they're alone, but I can't touch them when I spar them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most of it doesnt happen by accident. But im pretty sure i can guarantee you, no matter how hard i train i wont become anywhere close to 6'4", and no amount of bulking up theough muscle will make me 300 pounds-that would only happen if i got out of shape and put on a lot of fat.

You will only fight a 6'4" guy in the ring if you are a gigantic fatty though as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fitness and technique are two different things. So are knowledge and experience.

We have some students at my dojang with horribly sloppy forms, who can't remember half the steps, who are amazing sparrers. We have others who have beautiful techniques, but absolutely suck when there's another person (even if it's just a drill).

I've seen professional dancers with amazing body control who can't understand the difference between a side kick and a roundhouse kick. I've sparred old guys who look like they can barely move when they're alone, but I can't touch them when I spar them.

So you have a school full of people just developing randomly?

Because that kind of shouldn't happen.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you have a school full of people just developing randomly?

Because that kind of shouldn't happen.

We have a school full of individuals, who have different parts of the curriculum they connect more to, who have different natural talents.

Even in MMA, you have people who are strikers and grapplers. You have people that pick up fighting and in a few years are pros, and others who have been taking martial arts their whole lives and can't seem to win a match.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You will only fight a 6'4" guy in the ring if you are a gigantic fatty though as well.
Depends on the people scheduling the fight/the organization. I believe that certain full contact karate tournaments have open weight classes, and in a "challenge match" i doubt they're focusing on weight class.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have a school full of individuals, who have different parts of the curriculum they connect more to, who have different natural talents.

Even in MMA, you have people who are strikers and grapplers. You have people that pick up fighting and in a few years are pros, and others who have been taking martial arts their whole lives and can't seem to win a match.

Yeah but people who train get better.

So they will get fitter, stronger and get better technique. This is because the training has an effect on these attributes.

People who train at grappling become grapplers. People who train at striking become strikers.

It is not a group of people advancing randomly. There is a method.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on the people scheduling the fight/the organization. I believe that certain full contact karate tournaments have open weight classes, and in a "challenge match" i doubt they're focusing on weight class.

Regardless it is kind of semantics.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah but people who train get better.

So they will get fitter, stronger and get better technique. This is because the training has an effect on these attributes.

People who train at grappling become grapplers. People who train at striking become strikers.

It is not a group of people advancing randomly. There is a method.

And some people who train at grappling suck at grappling, and switch to striking and pick it up right away. People are individuals.

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. People can say what they want it doesn't matter to me I just keep doing what I do and forget about the rest. Strangers on the internet have 0 effect on my beliefs and opinions on systems. Just train that's all that matters

agreed...I'm the queen of getting bashed. I ignore it all. I think I was called a "cup cake" once on a reddit forum but my response was more like FU! Whatever. There a lot of those people out there who think they are the gift to MA or MMA. But like someone said here, there are GOOD martial artist, then those that are bad. You see these YouTubers only focus on showing the bad against MMA guy. Of course they are going to loose. Hey, anything to get the likes and subscribe I guess. Opinions are plenty by those who are delusional.

Latest Discussions