Mma class

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So im in the Channel Islands for a couple weeks and looked around for a gym and found a Gracie barra place I've done bjj in but never tried the Mma. The guy who runs the Mma is a black belt in taekwondo and bjj. The gyms had fights in Mma and kickboxing and has had some success. The most notable is former bellator light heavyweight champ Liam mcgeary trained there at the start of his career and had his early pro fights out of there before relocating.

Looking at videos and photos on their page they seem to do a good mix of sparring and technical work.

I'm going to check it out Monday. Haven't done an Mma class in over 20 years should be fun

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun. I've only recently started really doing much MA tourism - I want to do more. It really gets me out of my comfort zone.

Let us know how it goes.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like fun. I've only recently started really doing much MA tourism - I want to do more. It really gets me out of my comfort zone.

Let us know how it goes.
Yes it does. As a younger man I did quite a lot of travel for work. I lost count around 200 for the different schools/gyms I have worked out at. I think it takes the right mindset and a willingness to learn without any ego or pre-conceived notions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it does. As a younger man I did quite a lot of travel for work. I lost count around 200 for the different schools/gyms I have worked out at. I think it takes the right mindset and a willingness to learn without any ego or pre-conceived notions.
When I was traveling a ton for work, I didn’t really have an opportunity to train in the evening. We ate together and did our planning then. I wish I’d made an effort to free up some time every now and then.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I was traveling a ton for work, I didn’t really have an opportunity to train in the evening. We ate together and did our planning then. I wish I’d made an effort to free up some time every now and then.
I was/is quite shocking how many more MA schools there are up north and out west.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Lucky man. Good on you, bro. So awesome you took advantage of the opportunities. I did as well, at least some off the time, and I had more opportunities than most could ever dream about. But somehow I couldn't find the time for other opportunities that were right there in front of me, I mean right F'n there.

I was such an incredibly stupid young man.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So im in the Channel Islands for a couple weeks and looked around for a gym and found a Gracie barra place I've done bjj in but never tried the Mma. The guy who runs the Mma is a black belt in taekwondo and bjj. The gyms had fights in Mma and kickboxing and has had some success. The most notable is former bellator light heavyweight champ Liam mcgeary trained there at the start of his career and had his early pro fights out of there before relocating.

Looking at videos and photos on their page they seem to do a good mix of sparring and technical work.

I'm going to check it out Monday. Haven't done an Mma class in over 20 years should be fun
Welcome to the dark side. ;)

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So had it.

IT was okay. Can't say to mich of the quality because the usual coach was off sick so it was a open sparring class mainly. Which was fine but would've like to have seen the drills they did but it is what it is.

Started with 3 rounds boxing then 3 rounds boxing with leg kicks then full kickboxing then no gi bjj but wearing gloves then finished with full Mma sparring.

It was good enough nothing amazing but as I said I didn't get to see what a regular class would be like

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So had it.

IT was okay. Can't say to mich of the quality because the usual coach was off sick so it was a open sparring class mainly. Which was fine but would've like to have seen the drills they did but it is what it is.

Started with 3 rounds boxing then 3 rounds boxing with leg kicks then full kickboxing then no gi bjj but wearing gloves then finished with full Mma sparring.

It was good enough nothing amazing but as I said I didn't get to see what a regular class would be like
12 rounds would be a pretty serious workout for me nowadays. Sounds like a good day.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm not in shape for 12 rounds right now. I'd feel that the next day.
I feel fine tbh. I was shocked at how bad some of the others cardio was though. One kid about 21 maybe he's a blue belt in jiu jitsu and in jiu jitsu he beats me easily but in the sparring he was gassed and his striking was awful he was so slow because he wa gassed. Everytime he threw a punch I kicked his leg or body just because I didn't want to hit him in the head he seemed so exhausted.

Then in the grappling rounds I arm barred him fairly quick. Which never would usually happen. That shows the importance of cardio and disproves some of the traditional guys who say fitness isn't important as long as you have technique

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel fine tbh. I was shocked at how bad some of the others cardio was though. One kid about 21 maybe he's a blue belt in jiu jitsu and in jiu jitsu he beats me easily but in the sparring he was gassed and his striking was awful he was so slow because he wa gassed. Everytime he threw a punch I kicked his leg or body just because I didn't want to hit him in the head he seemed so exhausted.

Then in the grappling rounds I arm barred him fairly quick. Which never would usually happen. That shows the importance of cardio and disproves some of the traditional guys who say fitness isn't important as long as you have technique
I think any of us who've paid attention to ourselves know technique starts to degrade quickly when you run out of gas, and you slow down, and you have worse balance, and you telegraph more. All pretty important stuff.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ahh, the technique argument. Technique to end a match/fight definitely has the advantage in the early rounds. What a lot of people do not understand is that good, efficient technique will keep you fresh in the later rounds as well. Good conditioning in the ring comes with learning/practicing good technique. Circle of life on/in the mat/ring.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh, the technique argument. Technique to end a match/fight definitely has the advantage in the early rounds. What a lot of people do not understand is that good, efficient technique will keep you fresh in the later rounds as well. Good conditioning in the ring comes with learning/practicing good technique. Circle of life on/in the mat/ring.
There’s a feedback effect as well. The more conditioned you are, the more rounds you can spar consistently, which leads to better technique.

Right now I know that conditioning is my biggest weakness. Compared to my peer group of asthmatic, arthritic 55 year olds with desk jobs, I’m in fantastic shape. Compared to some of the young competitive fighters I train with, I’m in abysmal shape. I have made some significant improvement this year, but I have a long way to go.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There’s a feedback effect as well. The more conditioned you are, the more rounds you can spar consistently, which leads to better technique.

Right now I know that conditioning is my biggest weakness. Compared to my peer group of asthmatic, arthritic 55 year olds with desk jobs, I’m in fantastic shape. Compared to some of the young competitive fighters I train with, I’m in abysmal shape. I have made some significant improvement this year, but I have a long way to go.
Man, do I ever resemble that remark.