Minnesota Iaido Question

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a gentleman who teaches Iaido in the Twin Cities area that I've met a through times through my judo organization. His name is Karl Peterson, I believe, and he is a great guy. From what I can find the club is affliated with Midwest Kendo Federation and is Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido. I know nothing about various Iai styles and was wondering if anyone had experience with the style or Karl?

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Nick,
You've got two choices in the Twin Cities area for Japanese sword arts (other than kendo). Muso Shinden ryu is an older (koryu) style of iaido. The first few sets of kata, and so most of what you'll be practicing for a while, are performed out of seiza (kneeling). The practice is pretty much exclusively solo kata. It takes much concentration to learn, and can be quite a challenge to execute correctly. Fun stuff! I have never met Mr. Peterson personally, but I've heard a lot of good things about him. They don't have a web site, but you can find out more about MSR iaido here ... http://www.koryubooks.com/guide/musoshinden.html

The second choice is a newer style (relatively) called Toyama ryu. It does not have the large number of kata that MSR has, and the ones it has are all done from standing. It also has a series of kumitachi, two person forms, that are done with bokken. A very large emphasis in Toyama ryu is placed on tameshigiri, or test cutting, since this is what the ryu was originally formed for in the 1920's. After about six months or so on the basics, you'll be expected to begin regular cutting practice in class. Robert Steele is the instructor, and is a really good guy. They have a web site with information here ... http://www.geocities.com/toyama_ryu/TwinCitiesToyamaRyu.html

OK, it's not exactly what you asked for, but I hope it answers some of your questions! :)

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I am probably going to join an Aikido dojo, which happens to be the same dojo Peterson Sensei teaches out of....ah for fate. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Latest Discussions