Medical Implications of Karate Blows...

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my judo/jujutsu instructor had this book in class tonight...It's under some other titles too...i guess it was written by a student of ed parker as a black belt thesis and it got published as a book..

wondering if anyone has a copy and can tell me if it's worth buying....although it's only like 8 bucks on amazon.com...so i may just pick it up anyways...

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had damage (not irreversable) from TKD breaking and sparring so I would be interested too. But is the book written by a M.D.? Or some kind of medical practicioner? Or if it was written by a master or higher dan that would give it some creedence. TW

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it goes pretty indepth...about the damage that can be done by the different strikes...not sure his qualification...but i'm assuming he has a medical background..

C

Chicago Green Dragon

I have a copy of it. If i remember correctly it was made for a 5th deg bb thesis. The copy i have is in mint condition and I think its a great book to have in your library.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thanks for the input

i think i'm gonna have to pick it up...besides...how wrong can you go for $8

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian Adams...

no...the other one...not the singer...

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob Broad, you out there? Someone told me you had a pretty good kenpo library...

R

rmcrobertson

It's an OK book, and one of the earliest in English on the topic--but some of the anatomy and physiology is a bit flaky.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thanks for the input...it was only 8 bucks from amazon.com...so i bought it...i should get it tomorrow or thursday....can't go too wrong for only $8

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you get it, could you post a short review? Thanks!

- Ceicei

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i'll see what i can do...but you realize you're asking me for a book report...

nick doesn't like book reports

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
bignick said:
nick doesn't like book reports
Get over it. You have a responsibility to the raging masses. You must satiate their thirst for knowledge.

By the way, I hope you used the Amazon link at the bottom of the page when you ordered this book.......

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
actually...i didn't...was just browsing for it, checking my account, etc.....and i decided to order....sorry...if i ever order anything else from there i'll most definitely use the link first...

P

Patrick Skerry

Do you mean those blows received by the fist in the course of training? Those received in the dojo by light contact? Or those blows received as the result of a full-forced punch or kick given in a self-defense situation?

M

M.C. Busman

Brian Adams book, "The Medical Implication of Martial Arts Blows" was originally published in the late 1960's by Barnes. Adams was an early Ed Parker student. I believe he started in 1960 or 1961.

A warning on editions...the new edition and the old, original edition are VERY different! Wherever possible, obtain the old edition with the original photographs of Adams. The new paperback issue sold by Unique Publications uses models who...don't compare. Not that I'm into meticulously judging male models :rolleyes: ...the original shows Adams in white gi w/ the newer (for that time) temple tiger, dragon motif patch. New editions also leave out introductions by Ed Parker and I think, a medical Dr? I haven;t got mine w/ me right now--sorry.

Sometimes it's nice to know.

Take Care,

M.C. Busman

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you are correct...the new editions does not have an introduction by Ed Parker

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just checked both Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Amazon has only the paperback available (Biggie's $8 bargain!), as does B&N. Barnes & Noble says there are used copies of the hardback available. Is it worth the hassle to chase one down?

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but the book is a good one. However, when reading it, I think you need to understand the effects he describes come from a powerful blow delivered correctly, and on target. Otherwise I strongly recommend this book to anyone interested in martial arts.

Latest Discussions