Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

P

pakua

I don't know how many times I've started this book in the last 15 years and still can't get past about page 10.

Please tell me if it's really worth perservering.........

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the Management classes at my alum makes the students read it. I have found people fall in two categories, love it or hate it, with little to no middle ground. I would say if the book holds no interest to you, it isn't worth plodding through it no matter what someone else says cause you won't enjoy it.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked it...

But as stated, some people like that sort of thing, others don't.

Definately an interesting book though

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I liked it it took a bit to work thru- actually liked the follow up (Lila) a little betterTodd

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I, like you, have not yet made it past the first dozen or so pages, though I have been told time and again that if you can make it past the slow beginning it makes for an interesting read.

I think those of the martial arts mindset would probably see some value in it.

Enjoy!

OP
P

pakua

Ping898 said:
One of the Management classes at my alum makes the students read it.

Funnily enough it was a fellow student at Business School who gave it to me- he bought a bunch of copies to give to his mates.

Thanks for the responses- I'll give it one more bash.....

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I read ZATAOMM (wow, I like that anagram) years ago in high-school. I remember it was pretty heady to get through (but like I said, high-school), but I did very much enjoy the ideas the author presents. I would definitely recommend it, but be prepared to have to read sentences/paragraphs/chapters over again.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It took me a good fifty or so pages to get into it. Once it got going I found it extremely good and thought provoking. I've re read it a few times since I first read it some 15 or so years ago.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Robert M. Pirsig's book is an important 'mandatory' reading for any martial artist, probably more important than The Martial Way, or technical book on fighting techniques.

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's a bold statement but I agree... it should be required reading.

It also took me a while to get through. It took two attempts but it was worth it. I still remember parts of it. The plains are beautiful not because of what is there but what is not there.

I haven't read Lila yet but it's on my list.

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
pakua said:
I don't know how many times I've started this book in the last 15 years and still can't get past about page 10.

Please tell me if it's really worth perservering.........
I had the same problem, except I got a little farther. I tried to get through this book and quit about halfway two different times. The third time I tried, I stuck through it and read the whole thing.

To me, the last 150 pages made it one of the best books I've ever read. But that's just me.

OP
C

Crom

I'd recommend it to everyone, except those who need to mend their motorcycles :)

Really struck a chord with me.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I liked it it took a bit to work thru- actually liked the follow up (Lila) a little betterTodd
I agree, though it requires Zen to understand Lila. Both books are excellent books for those who are willing to invest the time to read them. I've read both several times. It won't be until well in to Zen before it actually clicks what the point is.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You could probably read Lile with out reading ZAAMM, but Lila was also a counterpoint to Zenans the artof

Latest Discussions