Matt Hughes Vs. Royce Gracie

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tournament two of MartialTalk tournaments officially starts! If anyone is confused about the way it works, here is the link explaining the boxing tournament, the rules are the same just a different sport.

Martial Talk Boxing Tournament With Poll/Bracket

The only change will be (excluding this one) each friday I will post the new matchup, and each wednesday I will announce the winner.

This is the bracket listing, for anyone curious MartialTalk MMA Tournament - Challonge

The match is Matt Hughes Vs. Royce Gracie
Have your say: Matt Hughes Vs. Royce Gracie

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
As per the other thread..this happened in real life, with both men in their prime.

It was a mauling, not competitive, and completely one sided.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As per the other thread..this happened in real life, with both men in their prime.

I have not verified it yet (at work, quickly skimmed through), but this should be the full fight if anyone is interested. IIRC, Royce said it was a result of overtraining on his part.Streamable - free video publishing
Although I wouldn't say they were both in their primer. Pretty sure Royce was in his 40s and hughes was barely 30. If anyone wants to factcheck/correct that, feel free.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
if it is now i choose royce, he fights better now than when he was young, and hughes just recovered from coma.
if both at their prime, hughes has great advantage in strength.
if hughes can recover to 100%, hope bellator will host the match.
love old van guard fight once in a while.

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was an issue with the first poll!!! If you have already voted, vote again!

Edit: For those wondering what the issue was, the initial poll did not have a block on multiple voting. There were 8 votes with only 5 'views'. I checked the timeline and geographical location options (gives general cities), and saw on the timeline, one minute with 5 votes in that minute, and multiple votes from the same city. I added a security measure to prevent multiple voting from the same computer, but in the future if I forget, please do not vote multiple times.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Although I wouldn't say they were both in their primer. Pretty sure Royce was in his 40s and hughes was barely 30. If anyone wants to factcheck/correct that, feel free.
Hughes was 37, Gracie was 44. Bit of an age advantage to Hughes, but even in his prime Royce was never close to Hughes in athletic attributes.

I don't know whether Royce overtrained or if that was just an excuse. Either way, I don't think it would have made a difference. Hughes has more fight experience, with a better record against better opponents, has greater physical attributes, and is a more well rounded fighter.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was hoping for Royce to make it for, but unfortunately I think he got the one match to screw him right at the beginning of the tournament.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have not verified it yet (at work, quickly skimmed through), but this should be the full fight if anyone is interested. IIRC, Royce said it was a result of overtraining on his part.Streamable - free video publishing
Lol typical gracie excuses for losing. He didn't overtrain he just simply wasnt good enough and hadn't evolved

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Um what...gracie was in nowhere near his prime

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hughes was 37, Gracie was 44. Bit of an age advantage to Hughes, but even in his prime Royce was never close to Hughes in athletic attributes.

I don't know whether Royce overtrained or if that was just an excuse. Either way, I don't think it would have made a difference. Hughes has more fight experience, with a better record against better opponents, has greater physical attributes, and is a more well rounded fighter.
Overtraining had no bearing on that fight. If anything he didn't train enough...got taken down easily and had no answer to get off his back and was throwing kicks against a wrestler. Fact is the Gracie's are great in jiu jitsu but not so much in Mma they're to arrogant to really train other styles that's why none of the Gracie's have had huge success in modern Mma at a high level. Heck Renzo got finished on his feet by matt Hughes and getting out struck by matt Hughes....that shows your striking is very poor

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Wow, thought the difference was more. In my mind, Hughes was like 31 or 32 at the time

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hughes was 33 at the time not 37

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
They were 33 and 40. If 40 is over the hill Dan Henderson, Randy Couture and Yoel Romero would like to have a word...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Romero who just flattened Rockhold a couple weeks ago, is juiced? Did USADA forget to test him?
Yes he is juicing everyone knows it and yes actually he has failed it before yet they used the tainted supplement excuse. That guy is a total cheat in multiple ways

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes he is juicing everyone knows it and yes actually he has failed it before yet they used the tainted supplement excuse. That guy is a total cheat in multiple ways
I bet USADA pays well. With your drug sniffing abilities, you could be a real asset to them. They wouldn't need all those pesky and apparently useless tests they use now anymore either. Have you considered filling out an application?

Latest Discussions