Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At that height and weight I have to ask how wide you are, or whether you were laying down for the measurement...
If you check out a BMI calculator (bogus I know, but good for overall comparison, his weight is actually considered healthy

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
At that height and weight I have to ask how wide you are, or whether you were laying down for the measurement...

? I'm 6' tall and when i get on the scale it says I'm 160-165. How wide? I'm a lean type build. Not wide.

My BMI is 22-23 and it says it should be between 18-25.

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng lists some great books. And I agree with Findinghisownway that you have to find what works for you best.
I will add to that also though. You have to find a happy medium and what makes you happy. What do you feel comfortable walking around looking like and feeling. Do you feel healthy with muscle mass? Do you feel healthy being lean? That should probably be part of your deciding process.

Lifting heavy with low reps as in traditional weight training tends to put on mass with a diet that supports it. Usually you end up sacrifice stamina. It's hard to move that mass around and keep it up for a while. You can do lighter weights and higher reps. Working on fast twitch muscles like someone else suggested. Which is my preference and body shape I wish to keep.

For martial arts and what I personally like to look like. I prefer large movement work outs... vs. isolated. And using more body weight.
I like doing kettle bells... or rope ring workouts. I feel like the explosiveness benefits my martial arts... while also giving me strength. Additionally when it's a exercise that uses multiple muscles in one movement... it also helps supporting muscles and stabilizing muscles to grow. Betters my cordination and balance.

Cardio.... I love running... but I find a rower... Concept 2 kicks my butt. But it gives me a total body work out. Burpees is another thing. Burpess only concerns me with older people in doing them with correct form. You can cause lower back issues if you get sloppy. We don't want injuries.

Latest Discussions