Anyone got a complete list of all styles Bruce Lee trained?

Bruce Lee 1127

White Belt
Reaction score
Bonus question: JKD is both a philosophy and "style". I do MMA and Wing Chun, is combining them basically JKD?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Combining them is..tricky...eye opening..and often humbling.

But JKD? Probably not.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No because he didn't really train many. Most he just used a few techniques from books and the odd move he got from his students like chuck Norris, Joe Lewis, gene lebel etc. heck he didn't even have a full understanding of wing chun

D

Deleted member 39746

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh. I think its a grey zone. Given there is a style now and a philosophy and last i know the philosophy is basically taking what works for you. There is a set methodology to do so though, or at least i believe. Also only Bruce Lee would know what he considered JKD as me made it after all.

OP
B

Bruce Lee 1127

White Belt
Reaction score
That's impressive at 77. I know a few people training at that age, and they're all beasts in one way or another. How long have you been training?

I'm not 77. November 27 1940 (1127) is Bruce Lee's birthday. I'm in my 20s. I did 1 year MMA and 1 year WC.

OP
B

Bruce Lee 1127

White Belt
Reaction score
No, it's too long, and it's a written list. It would take forever to type it. But I do have it.

Maybe you can take a photo or tell me where you got it? How long can the list be? Let's say he did 10 styles, that takes like 1 minute to type out.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe you can take a photo or tell me where you got it? How long can the list be? Let's say he did 10 styles, that takes like 1 minute to type out.
I am not a very good typist. It took me over 20 minutes to type this response to you. It would LITERALLY take me FOREVER to type out a list of his martial arts styles. Also, the list includes all 753 styles of martial arts in which Bruce Lee trained. Before you ask, no, he was not a black belt in all of them. That would be just ridiculous.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not a very good typist. It took me over 20 minutes to type this response to you. It would LITERALLY take me FOREVER to type out a list of his martial arts styles. Also, the list includes all 753 styles of martial arts in which Bruce Lee trained. Before you ask, no, he was not a black belt in all of them. That would be just ridiculous.
[emoji1787]

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
He wasn't even a white belt in any of them

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if this was intended to be a joke. Any such list containing 753 styles would definitely be bogus. It's possible that Lee might have come across the names of that many styles, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I can't find my copy of Paul Vunak's book on JKD. If I recall correctly, he lists 17 different styles that Lee drew upon for JKD. I think only a few of them were ones where he had any actual official training in the sense of having taken classes in the art. For others he might have exchanged information with friends who studied the arts in question. For others he just read books or watched video and stole an idea or two.

Latest Discussions