Martial Spirit

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the idea of "Martial Spirit" is really not the words most of us should be using. The word "martial" implies military and warfare. Even if your primary focus is training for self defense, it's neither of those. But enough of semantics!

For me, I'd have to say it's the "never say die" attitude. The intestinal fortitude to get back up and dust yourself off after being knocked down.

Jeff

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the idea of "Martial Spirit" is really not the words most of us should be using. The word "martial" implies military and warfare. Even if your primary focus is training for self defense, it's neither of those. But enough of semantics!

For me, I'd have to say it's the "never say die" attitude. The intestinal fortitude to get back up and dust yourself off after being knocked down.

Jeff

I would have to agree with Jeff

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The book "Living the Martial Way" I believe has a chapter dedicated to that. It gives some good info about Martial spirit.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I For me, I'd have to say it's the "never say die" attitude. The intestinal fortitude to get back up and dust yourself off after being knocked down.

That and thinking of new angles of attack and defense AS you're getting back up and dusting yourself off...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The UKF deals a lot with this concept. Its more about taking personal responsibility for the dangers that exists and to be willing to "go there" when need be.
Sean

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its more about taking personal responsibility for the dangers that exists and to be willing to "go there" when need be

Bravo,well said..Cops ,Firefighters, First Responders, EMT's and our Armed Forces ALL must have Martial Spirit....

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Question: What does "Martial Spirit" mean?

And yes I appear to be the one in a philosophical mood today.
Fearless, eager to protect those in need, unwavering, unrelenting. One who seeks battle, trains dilligently for it, and lives to fight. One who constantly looks for the advantageous place to be, is consistently aware of their surroundings and environment, while remaining focused on preservation and victory. It is to be a warrior. Not to desire to be, simply to be, with the sum whole of one's being.

That's what I reckon.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well... too use a quote:

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Joker, why did you join my beloved Corps!
Private Joker: Sir, to kill, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: So you're a killer!
Private Joker: Sir, yes sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Then let me see your war face!
Private Joker: [nervously] Sir?
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You got a war face! ARRRRRRRRRGH! That's a war face, let me see your war face!
Private Joker: Ahhhh!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: ********, you didn't convince me, let me see your REAL war face!
Private Joker: Ahhhhhh!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You still don't scare me! Work on it!
Private Joker: Sir, yes sir!

or a little more "traditional" (http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1905portarthur.html)

Yes, we were all ready for death when leaving Japan. Men going to battle of course cannot expect to come back alive. But in this particular battle to be ready for death was not enough; what was required of us was a determination not to fail to die. Indeed, we were "sure-death" men, and this new appellation gave us a great stimulus. Also a telegram that had come from the Minister of War in Tokyo, was read by the aide-de-camp, which said, "I pray for your success." This increased the exaltation of our spirits.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The book "Living the Martial Way" I believe has a chapter dedicated to that. It gives some good info about Martial spirit.

I like this book alot. Definately a good book to read and it is easy to understand as well.
icon10.gif

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To be strong when it is needed yet humble in life And understanding try to help others when you can and that your actions demonstrate who you are

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To live as though death is imminent. To give your full measure in everything you do. To live fully and completely and when the time comes, toss life aside like a well-worn garment that has served you well.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses; you have given me a lot to think about.

And I have to say I pretty much agree with what has been posted so far.

For some reason that question hit me out of the blue this morning, I have been stuck in this philosophical loop lately.

Please keep the responses coming.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Strength, loyalty, self sacrifice, willingness to do the neccecary thing, self control, humbleness, to be defined by your actions, stoicism.

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To live as though death is imminent. To give your full measure in everything you do. To live fully and completely and when the time comes, toss life aside like a well-worn garment that has served you well.

Outstanding post, pstarr!!! The "live fully and completely" part is extremely important to remember. I wouldn't think that most people would know when, or if, they're not going to get to see their loved ones again or if they'll have the chance to do that one important thing they've been meaning to do. I guess the most important things are to ensure, everyday, that the ones who should know you love them know it and that you are living in a way that you don't regret.

That way, when it's time for you to checkout, you can do so with no regrets and without fear of death preventing you from protecting your loved ones and whatever it is that you believe is worth dying for.

Again, pstarr, great post!!

Respects,

Fu Bag :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I agree with Fu_Bag..Excellent post...

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Control. Being able to push yourself self as far as you need to go, or to be able to just walk away. The martial spirit is not a list of traits or things you;re able to do though, its about YOU being the one making the decisions. You're in control. You're acting not reacting, no matter what it is you do, its YOU doing it, and doing it by your choice.

Latest Discussions