Reactional training help please

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Recently I have discovered that I have lost almost all instinctual reflex blocking that I developed during my time in sparring heavy Taekwondo. I now train in Nam Pai Chuan Shaolin Kung Fu and have better power, situational awareness and most other aspects of martial arts, but I no longer react instincually with a block. Last time a friend of mine pretended to backfist me to scare me I just blinked.

Any ideas on a kind of blocking training that I could do at home?

Thank you all in advance, I look foreward to your help.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You need to start positioning your self against your opponents or friends. Be where its hardest for them to hit you without an adjustment. Then just look for the adjustment. Make it a game.
Sean

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Block only when you must. Hit when you can. Blocking is to be used more for a nessasary tool. Training evolves and you will probably be blocking less. You learn to move by stepping by weaving by slipping. And learn to strike during an attack. To blink the eyes was a flinch that did not help you. We all change as we learn. perhaps think block to hit then your blocks will come back as needed.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
try useing multiple attackers that you trust. Have them attack whenever they want ( this goes for around the house also)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This is a long story shorten here: A boy went to learn swordmanship and was sent to a master in the mountains.

The boy was given chores and had to cook everyday. ....when he was not looking the master would hit him(attack w/ stick), in fields of crops,cooking,walking when the boy was not paying attention to anything.

Three years later while he(the boy) was cooking the master came behind and try to attack...the boy brush away the stick and kept on cooking. He stop the boy and give him a certicate.

When the boy went home his dad ask "what have you learn?" the boy answer " Nothing". His dad had a samurai school...so he took boy and had his students attack him.....NO ONE could get close....ONlY then did the Boy realize he had learn!!

Maybe have someone try to hit you unexpected...one day you too will be as good as the BOY! ..........Aloha

buyu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i find myself doing the same thing, except at training i automatically block the area or move away from the strike i think my problem is that i dont expect it so i dont react to it which is bad i guess but hey if some one wants to hit you they will, when your not ready for it thats why they will try to hit you, its what you do after wards that counts really, my mate has a saying its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. So pracctice blocking and all but you could prepare yourself by training as though youve already been hit and how am i going to deal with it now my head hurts or my eyes are watering (im not saying get a sock in the nose to try it out hehe) mentally prepare youself and hey at trainin dont always dodge or block the punch and go from there. Hey i know your probably thinkin your pretty vulnerable but as long as you dont make yourself look like victim your usually ok.
thanks

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Recently I have discovered that I have lost almost all instinctual reflex blocking that I developed during my time in sparring heavy Taekwondo. I now train in Nam Pai Chuan Shaolin Kung Fu and have better power, situational awareness and most other aspects of martial arts, but I no longer react instincually with a block. Last time a friend of mine pretended to backfist me to scare me I just blinked.

Whilst I do agree that the main goal should be to hit (not block), is there something about your current class that may be doing more harm than good? In other words, if you were still in TKD and your friend did that, would you have reacted (be it hit, block, evade, etc)?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you really feel your block are going south, then I would spend more time on getting back what you felt you are loosing. Myself I know when I neglectcertain are's they become weaker and need more time then the other area's

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
it's possible that your blocks are getting better, not worse.

it was mentioned earlier: did you feel your friend was actually going to hit you? your situational awareness may have improved to the point where you knew that incoming fist wasn't an actual threat.

as you train, you begin to pick up on intent as well as action. this is probably a good sign.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I understand about that style of Shaolin is that it focuses on striking over blocking. So would you rather blink, or knock the guy out? I have that problem. (as the crazy man starts to go off topic), when my friends pretend to hit me, I either blink or or counterstrike. And they don't fake hit after I counter attack. Even under serious control a solid strike from me feels unpleasant. And sometimes I blink in sparring.

Latest Discussions