Martial arts magazines?

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I subscribe to Black Belt Mag, Inside Kung Fu, and Kung Fu Tai Chi. Out of these three I like Inside Kung Fu the best. Black belt is now my least favorite. It covers way to much MMA and not enough TCM. It's also gotten really bad for all the advertisements. Half the mag is ads for this, that, and the other.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't subscribe but I go to Barnes and Noble alot and read Kung Fu Magazine :p Yeah I am cheap :p

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was given a subscription for black belt mag.. but found it mainly advertisements and a lot of articles about the UFC and other wise garbage. I am not a huge fan of the UFC and other prize fights so would not suggest it at all.. found that one article in say 6 months was worth anything at best!!!

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was given a subscription for black belt mag.. but found it mainly advertisements and a lot of articles about the UFC and other wise garbage. I am not a huge fan of the UFC and other prize fights so would not suggest it at all.. found that one article in say 6 months was worth anything at best!!!

I agree 100%. They'll have a good article every once in a blue moon but most are about UFC which I don't really care for or the article are completely useless. BBM should read what people say about them and change thier format.

ganglian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's a sad fact that pretty much the mainstream martial arts world now runs in such a manner. I've stopped reading the magazines because there simply isn't enough actual martial arts in them. I've seen loads of mags do these lengthy and pointless interviews of individuals that don't actually touch on any tangible martial subject other than the next big seminar the person is doing.

Nothing would make me happier than to have either a Bujinkan centric or silat centric magazine of quality, without the inevitable MMA hype soaking through. (no offense to MMA'ers).

ganglian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's not geared towards TKD, but since you're interested in all martial arts, I have to suggest Filipino Martial Arts Digest. It's a great FMA web 'zine with very little advertising.

You have to link to that Praytell? I might find that interesting.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here it is:
http://www.fmadigest.com/

If you subscribe they'll mail you a .pdf. It's good, and free.

Eskrima Digest is a mailing list, not a magazine, but it also has lots of wheat (and of course some chaff), but isn't in magazine format.

Latest Discussions