Martial arts magazines?

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do any of you subscribe to any? if so, which do you find that the best reading material?

I'm a TKD practicioner if that matters, but I love all martial arts.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Journal of Asian Martial Arts and Classical Fighting Arts are the tops. Both can often be found at Borders.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Arnisador be me to them. They are easily the best researched magazines out there.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I stopped reading them when the advertisements became greater than the stories and articles.
I hate the fact that if someone buys enough ad space they seem to get articles printed in a favorable manner to them all the time

Hyper_Shadow

Green Belt
Reaction score
I hate the fact that if someone buys enough ad space they seem to get articles printed in a favorable manner to them all the time

It's a sad fact that pretty much the mainstream martial arts world now runs in such a manner. I've stopped reading the magazines because there simply isn't enough actual martial arts in them. I've seen loads of mags do these lengthy and pointless interviews of individuals that don't actually touch on any tangible martial subject other than the next big seminar the person is doing.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I still read and subscribe to BlackBelt, although the advertizing does seem to have taken over...

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
I read Black Belt magazine not only because i liked it but partly because i found a picture of my shihan in the 2008 April issue (pg. 76) demonstrating the escrima stick. :ultracool

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Balck Belt Mag. Some of the trade journals such as, MA Success and Ma Professional have some interesting articles, but like mentioned above-too much advertising. I realize ads help pay the bills, but come on!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I subscribe to Black Belt. I agree with Drac...there is alot of advertising, but there is also alot of good material in there as well. TKD Times is found in most bookstores, so that may be of interest. I also pick up some of the MMA magazines as well.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those suggesting The Journal of Asian Martial Arts are right on the money - consistently contains articles that are well researched by respected figures in the martial arts. They provide sources and notes, which can lead to further research on your own initiative.

As for the more commercialized publications, I'd say don't entirely dismiss them out of hand. It is not that the defects others have pointed out are nonexistent. Despite those flaws, sometimes an article of interest does sneak in.

I generally visit the magazine section a few times a month, and I check out the MA and the general exercise sections. Sometimes a fine article will show up in a magazine that's not even devoted to that art. You really need to look through what's there and decide for yourself. When in doubt about an article or author, post it here and if the author's a fake you'll have a pretty good thread going.

Another worthwhile trip can be to your town's used bookstore(s). Reading what was published in the 70's on forward can be a real eye opener.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stopped reading them when the advertisements became greater than the stories and articles.
Wait... you mean that when you buy a magazine, you don't think it should have more pages and column inches of advertising than articles? Black Belt crossed that line years ago, unfortunately. Add in plenty of "articles" that might as well be ads for somebody's school or video tapes, and I just can't justify a subscription. I enjoy Dave Lowry's column, and I'll buy the magazine once in a while either to kill time in an airport or because of the occasional good article... but that's about it.

Same thing with most of the others. And Journal of Asian Martial Arts just comes across as pretentious to me often... Sometimes, a punch is just a punch.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Until a few years ago I had a standing subscription to "Black Belt". I found it gave me information on what was happening in the world of martial arts and a whose who up to date.
This was the only magazine that survived my interests as several others had ceased publication fairly quickly.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to read martial arts magazines regularly, but now I think most of them are a waste of time. Black Belt seems to have become the unofficial mouthpiece for MMA, and Tae Kwon Do Times long ago gave itself over to those who pay to get published, whether or not they have anything interesting to say. In the end, the articles are just fluff hype for instructors and their organizations, most of them junk.
Journal of Asian Martial Arts is boring with a capital B, and tends to stick with Japanese and Chinese styles. Is rarely of interest to me.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do agree that the other mags. occasionally have good stuff and nearly always have at least some "news that you can use" in them. I bought a recent copy of Black Belt for an article. Frankly, even the ads have some value--I occasionally learn about a seminar or book of interest to me.

For knife enthusiasts, there are several knife mags. (e.g. Blade) that I find it worthwhile to flip through every month at the bookstore. Learning about new products is valuable. It's rare that I buy one though.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Journal of Asian Martial Arts is boring with a capital B, and tends to stick with Japanese and Chinese styles. Is rarely of interest to me.

Well, I would say that Journal of Asian Martial Arts is detailed rather than boring, but I know what you mean. It does cover a variety of arts but there is indeed an emphasis on Sino-Japanese arts, I suppose.

What do people want in a martial arts magazine, then?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do people want in a martial arts magazine, then?

hot chicks! 12 secrets of combat the government doesn't want you to know! never be afraid of any black belt again! moar chicks! mma news! the three deadliest moves from any martial art! immediately disable 7 armed attackers! xyience products! the latest on tito & jenna!

jf

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not geared towards TKD, but since you're interested in all martial arts, I have to suggest Filipino Martial Arts Digest. It's a great FMA web 'zine with very little advertising.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
hot chicks! 12 secrets of combat the government doesn't want you to know! never be afraid of any black belt again! moar chicks! mma news! the three deadliest moves from any martial art! immediately disable 7 armed attackers! xyience products! the latest on tito & jenna!

jf

You just described the typical issue of Black Belt! Used to be Bruce Lee was on every other cover. Now whatever rising MMA fighter is usually featured. On the bright side, Black Belt saves me a lot of money because I have no need to buy it.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i never buy black belt any more. if mma is your thing, there are tons of mma news & technique websites out there, you don't have to wait a month to get fight results. i'm casting my vote for journal of asian martial arts.

jf