Martial Arts for Longevity

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although it may be true that martial arts promotes longevity, it may also be a correlation without causation; for example, people who like to do martial arts as a life-long activity may also tend to take better care of themselves in other ways as well. In any case, I hope it promotes longevity and I don't plan to give it up.

I do find that very fortuitously for me, Isshinryu karate remains practical as I age. We're not big on high kicks or fancy techniques; we tend to do things that my body is still more or less capable of doing. Double kicks and dropping to one knee is hard on me, but we don't do that very much; most katas are still in my wheelhouse.

I would like to explore Tai Chi at some point. There is no place near enough to me at present, but you never know.

I did take a local community course in a type of dance called "NIA Movement" for awhile and I found it quite beneficial to my karate. It helped my flexibility and my balance. Perhaps I'll look into a Yoga course at some point.

And of course, if I get to the point where I require a cane, I'll be checking out the various weapons styles that incorporate the use of a cane.
I think I also derive something from the sense of community I get from meeting with my friends and practicing. It does wonders for my morale.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
how does Yoga compare to Qi Gong?
Depend on what kind of Qi Gong you are talking about. If you just sit there, or stand there, it won't do you much good.

hug_tree.jpg

I have always believed that:

- running is better than walking.
- walking is better than standing.
- standing is better than sitting.
- sitting is better than laying down.
- laying down is better than to be dead.

A new study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine suggests that running can lower your risk of early death from all causes by 27 percent. Weekly running resulted in a 30 percent lower risk of death from cardiovascular disease and a 23 percent lower risk of death from all types of cancer.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new wife has a Grayhound and I like running up the hill with him. It's about 50 yards at 12 degrees of incline. I'm giving it my all and he is still walking lol...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My new wife has a Grayhound and I like running up the hill with him. It's about 50 yards at 12 degrees of incline. I'm giving it my all and he is still walking lol...
Yesterday I ran down from the 800 feet elevation hiking trail so I could be on schedule to take my wife to dinner for our valentine date. My legs were shaking for the whole dinner. One day I may quite MA training. But I will never quite my 3 miles running. When I run, I feel I'm in my 40 again (I ran my 1st Marathon when I was 40).

my_marathon.jpg

Last edited:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think any martial art that works with how the body is "supposed" to move will help you stay healthy. I think it is more just DOING something that helps.

MA's can help with balance, flexibility and cardio. But, is there something inherently better about MA versus line dancing or yoda/pilates? I'm not so sure about that.

There are other factors as well if you eat like crap all the time or drink/smoke excessively etc.

This is also based on the assumption that there isn't physical issues that preclude them from doing something physical.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like running. But I want to protect my knees, so sometimes I replace it with fast walking. When I walk, I feel my upper body is not doing anything. I start to do punches. I like to do my triple hook punches - right low hook, right middle hook, right high hook (then the other arm). If I walk 3 mils, I may punch over 2000 times. That's a good easy full body workout for me. I believe I can still do this when I'm 100 years old - Make movement a habit.

I have about 40 of those 3 punches combos such as:

- jab, hook, uppercut.
- hook, back fist, overhand.
- jab, cross, hook.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you get old, your jumping ability will decrease. Would like to hear how other people may maintain this ability.

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When you get old, your jumping ability will decrease. Would like to hear how other people may maintain this ability.
This was definitely true for me. There is a karate kata called kusanku that involves a move resembling a jumping spinning crescent kick, landing in a spiderman-type crouch. As a 20-year-old I was able to get 5 feet body elevation (quite high for this move). As a 67-year-old I attempted this move and felt like I got pretty good height, but upon seeing a video of it, I was barely 3 feet off the ground. It was a wonder the technique was executed successfully. My perception of it was much greater than the reality. This led me to the question of whether self-perception of our physicality changes with age. Since senior citizens aren't supposed to be jumping (as Nature intended ;)) any successful jump is seen by us as being a good one.

It is said that some Shuri-te masters were legendary jumpers. I've seen video of shorinryu Master Shimabuku Eizo (looked like he was around 50) jumping side to side covering more distance than I would believe possible from an athlete half his age. He was no more than 5'4" tall weighing maybe 125 pounds, but still, his agility was truly amazing.

Personally, I don't see the need to do much jumping at over 70, or even 60. I can still do the jump kicks in my kata but don't work on this particular skill. My prowess in other areas is enough to make me feel good about my physical condition.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hooray for the old guys! Better cardio than me.
Boxing training is the real deal when it comes to strength and stamina. Most martial arts dojo's in which I've trained pale in comparison. This is one of the main reasons I continue attending boxing gyms alongside my MA training. Running circuits, working the bag and the pads, jumping rope, shadow-boxing and similar training protocols are not for the faint of heart. A lot of martial artists would have difficulty completing one full session in a boxing gym, and I am not sure they enjoy getting hit either. There is a great camaraderie in boxing clubs and no hierarchy or funny uniforms, belts or strange rituals. Just regular men and women training to become stronger, fitter, faster and more agile by the week 🥊

Last edited:

Wineguy

White Belt
Reaction score
This may have been discussed here before, a quick search didn't turn up much. If you had to recommend a martial art that emphasized practicality for older practitioners and one that could be done by a reasonably healthy senior citizen which would you pick? I know many of us are getting older and it's one thing to be doing the same art for 30 years and another to learn something new as an older person. I guess I'm just curious about your opinions.
Turned 74 in December past,started FMA/JKD,in November,after 50 years away from martial arts,twice a week classes,and training at home,every week I feel better,and flexibility is slowly coming back,I know it will never be like the past,but I enjoy the hard training and do enjoy the physical aspects

Wineguy

White Belt
Reaction score
Boxing training is the real deal when it comes to strength and stamina. Most martial arts dojo's in which I've trained pale in comparison. This is one of the main reasons I continue attending boxing gyms alongside my MA training. Running circuits, working the bag and the pads, jumping rope, shadow-boxing and similar training protocols are not for the faint of heart. A lot of martial artists would have difficulty completing one full session in a boxing gym, and I am not sure they enjoy getting hit either. There is a great camaraderie in boxing clubs and no hierarchy or funny uniforms, belts or strange rituals. Just regular men and women training to become stronger, fitter, faster and more agile by the week 🥊
Likewise at 74 starting in FMA/JKD,I enjoy the boxing and I do get banged around a lot,lol .stiff and sore today,but a yoga session will help with those issues

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
FMA are perfect for the older MAist. Promotes good balance, footwork and fluidity. I’m 68 and wouldn’t have it any other way. Nothing lasts forever, but barring something unforeseen, I don’t see things changing for a few years.

With that said, keep moving!!
I still play decent 3.5/4.0 singles tennis. There are a lot of 70 plus players out there. Most play doubles, but they are moving well.

Latest Discussions