Martial Arts Experience

OP
B

Bushido

I began 17 years ago an eclectic form of karate (based on JKD concepts). Three or four years ago, I added ground fighting/submission to it. I alson practiced taichi, aikido, muay thai, weapons.

-Bushido

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yiliquan: since 1985, Senior Level 2 Instructor
Shuri-te Ha Karate-do: three months, Japan
Modern Arnis (under John CS Lehmann): 10 months (has it been that long already???)
Aikido: two months, KSU, Manhattan, KS

:samurai: :tank:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It looks very cool. And not surprisingly, I noticed that it seems to have similarites to EPAK.
:cool:

OP
L

lungshihpo

I've studied shaolin kung fu for 13 yrs,the first 5yrs heavy
ninjutsu - 1yr (mainly the grappling)
BJJ - 1yr
trained in weapons for over 2yrs now,(sword,bo,escrima,naginata,knife)
less than 6 months training in dim mak and chin na.

thanks,train hard!

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1

How do you mean "not surprisingly?"

Matt,

I hope you did not take offense. When I looked at your description you mentioned some stuff in there that sounded like it could have come straight from Mr. Parker. Such as:

"The footwork and strategic methods of Yili are its hallmark. These methods of movement, coupled with body actions that specifically focus on the conscious generation of power through coordinated movements, produce tremendous power."

Since I'm in American Kenpo, and I believe it so great, it is "not surprising" that I homed in on those aspects and noticed them and also thought to myself "Cool, it looks good because it has something in common with my stuff."

That is what I meant, that since there was some stuff there that looked similar, I picked up on it. That is all.
:asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by arnisador

Could you expand on what makes these systems different and how you're identifying them (here or in the TKD forum)?
Sorry I didn't answer sooner, didn't see your post. It's really very simple. There are three main form systems in TKD. The chung-ji forms( I know that in english there are different ways to spell these), the first form in this system is Ki-Cho. Then you have Tae-geuk(aka the hidden forms) which some describe as an extension of the Chung-ji forms. This is not necessarily true, there are subtle differences, such as the stances being shorter. Then there are the Pal-Gae forms, they were developed in what is now North Korea and do not have wide spread useage. Those forms are still very similiar but the stances are even closer(shorter) yet.
It's basically like syaing I have ranks in ITF vs WTF or the different Kwans.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Seig

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, didn't see your post. It's really very simple. There are three main form systems in TKD. The chung-ji forms( I know that in english there are different ways to spell these), the first form in this system is Ki-Cho. Then you have Tae-geuk(aka the hidden forms) which some describe as an extension of the Chung-ji forms. This is not necessarily true, there are subtle differences, such as the stances being shorter. Then there are the Pal-Gae forms, they were developed in what is now North Korea and do not have wide spread useage. Those forms are still very similiar but the stances are even closer(shorter) yet.
It's basically like syaing I have ranks in ITF vs WTF or the different Kwans.

Be careful. The last time I talked about TKD forms, the Golden One jumped all over me!

But then again, whose gonna stop him?:soapbox:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seig, thats very interesting. How on earth did you manage to get black belt in 3 styles of TKD? And what set of patterns starts with Chonji as the first pattern after the white belt fundamental movements?

Rcastillo, why did Goldenone jump all over you? haha

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

Seig, thats very interesting. How on earth did you manage to get black belt in 3 styles of TKD? And what set of patterns starts with Chonji as the first pattern after the white belt fundamental movements?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

The Golden One is not fond of TKD. (I think)I was also talking about TKD with another person in the Kenpo area.:soapbox:

It's kinda like a Biker Bar, Hells Angels on one side, The Bandidos on the other. Both eye balling the devil out of each other.:eek:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Klondike93

That would have been me ;)

But hey, I grew up in TKD.

:asian:

Well, It's hard me to give it up. I'd rather not. Too much work, time invested!:eek:

OP
C

chufeng

Does being the younger brother to a very harsh older brother count for anything?

OK...

Wrestling..................1 year
Boxing.......................3 years
Judo..........................5 years
TaeKwonDo..............6 months (too long in my estimation)
YiLiQuan Kung Fu.....20 years
Aikido.......................1 year
Fut Ga Kun...............~ 1 year

It has been a tremendous jouney...and I still can't see the end of the road...

chufeng

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I'll ring in
High school and varsity wrestling 5 years
Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu 5 years
An independent school of Ninpo 3 years
I am the co founder of the Rengo Shinobi Shakai, for independent Ninjutsu practitioners.
Would like to take some JKD, none in my icynorth.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
Damian,
At the time I was studying TKD ( I stopped when I took up Kenpo) my then instructor was bug on us knowing everything within a belt level. He spent several years in Korea and found the three systems, he learned and was graded in them all. He then made us learn and grade in them all as well/ The Chonji system as he taught us started out with Ki-Cho, Chung-ji, Tae-Geuk(which then branches off to the Tae-Geuk forms), Do-Sab, Won-Yo, etc....Each set of forms at some point contains a form from another set and cross references.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whoa thats very strange, I recognise some of my patterns in there but they are spelled completely differently and in a different order. Nifty.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions