Martial Arts Experience

OP
T

thaiboxer

Originally posted by Icepick

I was just wondering how many arts are represented on this board. Could everyone check in and let us know what you've studied?

I'll start:
Modern Arnis 6 yrs.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 9 mos.
Balintawak, Wing Chun, American Kenpo, Boxing, Bando, JKD less than 6 months each

Thinking about picking up some Judo, if my ribs ever heal.:karate:

MT - 9 months
Aiki tae jutsu - little exposure
TKD - as above
Boxing - grown up with it.

OP
H

hand2handCombat

Muay Thai 15 years
BJJ 2 years
Modern Arnis 3 years

shotman

White Belt
Reaction score
I've studied
Shotokan
Judo
Jujitsu
Wado-Ryu
Kickboxing
Dragon Kenpo
Combat Karate
IKCA Chinese Kenpo

So much to do and so little time!!!!!!

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Paul, welcome to martial talk. I think you'll like it here.
--Dave

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Ryukyu Karate/ Ryukyu Kobudo (Ryukyu Kempo now know as RyuTe Renmei®)
Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu
Pai De Lung Kung Fu (Daniel K. Pai style taught in North America)
Kickboxing
Judo
Aikido
Taichi
wrestling

OP
J

Jeff Cook

Judo
Aikido
White Dragon kung fu
Taekwondo
Wado Ryu karate
Shinto Yoshin jujitsu
Shuri Ryu karate
US jujitsu
Cane (CaneMasters)
Brazilian jiujitsu

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

OP
T

TkdWarrior

hmm
TKD, MT and TC(just started) from last 6 yrs...
i remember i added my Bio :D today in some thread forgot which for it...
-TkdWarrior-

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dragon Kung Fu - 7 years
JKD - 4 years
Wah Lum - 1 year
PM Kung Fu - 3 years (currently studying)

OP
M

Master of Blades

Im only 15 and have been doing Martial Arts for 4 years but heres what I have been up to in that time,

Kali - I have been doing this activly for 4 years now studying under my father/teacher.

Heres some of the others Ive tried out,

TKD
Hapkido
Wing Chun
Jeet Kune Do
Karate
Judo
BJJ
Boxing
Muay Tai
White Crane Kung Fu (Only two lessons!)

Most of the second list were only for a certain amount of months except for Karate and Judo which I did for two years on and off when I was about 7. Lol not doing too badly seeing as Ive still got my whole life ahead of me! :asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

Seig, thats very interesting. How on earth did you manage to get black belt in 3 styles of TKD? And what set of patterns starts with Chonji as the first pattern after the white belt fundamental movements?

Rcastillo, why did Goldenone jump all over you? haha

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
Damian,
The man I studied under was ranked in in Chong Ji and tae Geuk forms when he started studying under Hi Il Cho upons ihis return from Korea. Master Cho made him learn the third system and pass it along to us. The feeling was that once we learned all three systems, we were "real' Black Belts that would be accepted anywhere in the world, "knowing the whole system".Chong Ji is the "High White" form, the actual first pattern is Ki Cho. The others were Korean names that I don't remember as I have not done them in about 12 years now. But the english translation was Tae Geuk One and Pal Gae One, two, etc...There are forms in the Chong Ji system known as Tae Geuk and Pal Gae, it is usually at this point when they are introduced that the other form systems are alluded to if not taught. We were required to do each system all the way through and then start the next one. Another example of other forms is that in a lot of American schools, Koreo is taught as a Second Black form, it is actually a Tae Geuk form for first Black.
Ricardo,
I don't think Mr C would yell at me for passing along information.....

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Seig

Damian,
The man I studied under was ranked in in Chong Ji and tae Geuk forms when he started studying under Hi Il Cho upons ihis return from Korea. Master Cho made him learn the third system and pass it along to us. The feeling was that once we learned all three systems, we were "real' Black Belts that would be accepted anywhere in the world, "knowing the whole system".Chong Ji is the "High White" form, the actual first pattern is Ki Cho. The others were Korean names that I don't remember as I have not done them in about 12 years now. But the english translation was Tae Geuk One and Pal Gae One, two, etc...There are forms in the Chong Ji system known as Tae Geuk and Pal Gae, it is usually at this point when they are introduced that the other form systems are alluded to if not taught. We were required to do each system all the way through and then start the next one. Another example of other forms is that in a lot of American schools, Koreo is taught as a Second Black form, it is actually a Tae Geuk form for first Black.
Ricardo,
I don't think Mr C would yell at me for passing along information.....

Well, at me he yells, But I think it's cause he's not as good looking as I am. He's anti TKD:eek:

BTW, I'm very impressed with your knowledge of TKD! No wonder Tess is just crazy about you! You da man!:D

OP
J

J-kid

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARTIAL ARTS i know~

Judo

Jujutsu

Boxing

Wrestling

Mauy Thia kickboxing

Choung Nhu

JKD

AJW (American Jacket Wrestling)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Best of luck in all your training.

OP
A

Angus

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say the "Martial arts I study/train" rather than "Martial arts I know"? It implies something different.

As for me:

American Karate: 93/94 to 2000. They moved to a different state! Still practice everything but the katas (only because I forgot them because we stopped after purple belt). I still like it, and want to go back to a Karate, but I think I will do Kyokushin if I can find it.

Muay Thai: 99 to present. Training everyday. 5 times a week + 3 times a week privately.

Pankration: Very little when I began Muay Thai, but am now studying again in private lessons.

BJJ: June 02 to present.

Kali/JKD/Penjack Silat/Shootwrestling: May 02 to present.

I've been informally training with a TKDist friend twice a week for the last year, so there's that too. Unbelted, but still learning.

For me, I need a strong striking style (Muay Thai), a more traditional system (hopefully Kyokushin and a korean martial art called Jungyae Moosul, which I hope to begin soon), and a grappling style, which is both Pankration and BJJ at the moment.

OP
A

Abbax8

Judo, started in 1967. Still with it.

Peace
Dennis

OP
K

kenposcum

Kenpo 8 years this February.
Boxing 6 years as an adjunct to Kenpo.
Took Tae Kwon Do when I was a little guy for four years.
Lifetime student of mayhem.
:asian:

OP
S

SifuAbel

Sung family longfist
Northern Shaolin
Pek kwar
tai chi
chi gung

20 years under the same teacher for above styles

:yinyang:

OP
A

Angus

Originally posted by arnisador

That's some stick-to-it attitude.

Given your name, is that a pun? :D

I hope to find 1 art to stick with that long. I don't think I can do it with Muay Thai, and I want something more traditional to continue for the rest of my life. Kudos to you, Abbax.

OP
J

jakmak52

I've been practicing TKD (ITF) for 11 years and currently training for the Pan American Internationals coming up in November in Miami:)

Latest Discussions