Martial Arts Experience

OP
M

Ms J

Hi Renagade, what kind of Fencing are you doing up there in Bufflo" ie what style and what weapon?

Ms. J. Bows deeply........

:asian:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ms. J
I do SCA style fencing. We use:
Foil
Epee
"Schlager" (Heavy Rapiers)

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
Scientists have a saying: "Anyone who can't explain their work to an eleven year old is a fraud." If you truly understand it, you can make it understandable. But this takes time and practice too.

One of my physics professors used to ask us how we would explain various concepts to children. In this way, he could gauge whether or not we understood the material.

My instructor always told us that if we couldn't teach it, then we didn't truly know it. In the Okinawa-te system as he taught it, yellow belts get their first experience teaching by giving basic instruction to the white belts. Of course, this instruction was supervised by the actual instructor. This was done to: 1) ensure the student was adequately learning the techniques by teaching them, and 2) prepare the student for instructor duties in the future.

The Okinawa-te ranking system is a bit different from other, more popular traditional systems. There really isn't an 'assistant' or 'apprentice' instructor. Part of the requirement to earn your black belt is the desire to teach. Therefore, once you earn a black belt in Okinawa-te, you are an instructor.

This also makes the time required to earn a black belt in OT a bit longer than many other systems. Five years is seen as a very short amount of time in which to earn an OT black belt (compared to the minimum requirement of 3 years in JKA karate). The usual amount of time is probably around 8 to 10 years. Consequently, there aren't many OT black belts. The style has been taught in the U.S. since the early sixties, and at my last count, there were only a little over 40 OT black belts worldwide. I think the length of training time required to earn a black belt causes problems with student retention. Also, since there are not many OT black belts, there aren't as many OT instructors to train more black belts.

An upside to the early introduction to teaching and the length of time spent on basics is that I've seen OT purple and blue belts with better form and technique then some black belts from other systems. Man, that was one very long sentence.

Cthulhu
rambling because I just got home from work.

OP
D

DWright

In 1981 I started my Karate training, which led me to police self defense instructing. While training Police Officers around the Country I also continued my training. Street combat, knife fighting, and police baton, and PR-24. The baton training took my training into Arnis, which I am still teaching and learning.

OP
W

WuTang

Mitose Kenpo 7yrs
Tai-Chi & Chi-Gong 7yrs
Torite Jutsu (pressure points) 4yrs
Goju-Shorei (cane and knife) 4yrs

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by WuTang
Torite Jutsu (pressure points) 4yrs
Goju-Shorei (cane and knife) 4yrs

Can you tell us a bit more about these systems (possibly in one of the other fora, if appropriate)?

OP
J

Jim M

Tracy's Kenpo - 1 yr
Parker's Kenpo - 1 yr

A little Arnis and a couple seminars from Joe Lewis and Benny Urquidez. Benny give a heck of a seminar.

Jim

OP
I

Icepick

Jim -

Who do you do the arnis with? Are you one of Joe Parker's guys? My knowledge of NJ geography is limited.

OP
J

Jim M

No, unfortunately I've been out of it all for quite some time now. Trying to get back but that probably will not happen for a few months now (at least). Anyway, I studied a little Arnis in PA, outside of Phila. The instructor attended one of Remy Presas' week long camps and he taught some of it. I'd really like to get back into Kenpo but the nearest school seems to be about an hour away. I may be relocating to Poughkeepsie, NY in a month or so and I don't really want to make any definite commitments until I get that straightened out. It's amazing the excuses I make!

:(

OP
F

fist of fury

Okinawa Te 1 year
TKD 2 years
Wing Chun 6 months- currently studying
Kali 1 month-currently studying

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim M
I may be relocating to Poughkeepsie, NY in a month or so and I don't really want to make any definite commitments until I get that straightened out.

You can definitely find FMA there.

OP
K

Kirk

Okinawa-te since '91.

Dabbled with Wing Chun, but nothing serious.

Some form of kempo (which I think was bogus) for about a year.

Been researching and studying about the martial arts fairly continuously since '81. Still pi$$ed that I can't find the majority of my library after I moved.

Informal training in TKD for about a year.

Several years wishing I had a certified JKD instructor.

Cthulhu

Couple questions Cthulhu:

1. Could you tell me in general a bit about Okinawa-te?
I have a friend that's moving to Okinawa soon, and she's
interested in studying an M.A. with her daughter while
she's there. How would you describe the style to someone
that's never studied a style?

2. Did someone steal your library during your move? What's
the deal there, was it the movers, or a parent, or spouse?

3. Have you now started studying JKD? Or are there still none
in your area? Are you studying it informally?

Just curious,

Kirk

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

Couple questions Cthulhu:

1. Could you tell me in general a bit about Okinawa-te?
I have a friend that's moving to Okinawa soon, and she's
interested in studying an M.A. with her daughter while
she's there. How would you describe the style to someone
that's never studied a style?

Well, the Okinawa-te I studied was that introduced by Gordon Doversola in the 60's. It's not the same Okinawa te most people refer to when speaking of ancient Okinawan martial arts.

Your friend will probably see a lot of Goju, Uechi, and possibly Isshin Ryu while in Okinawa, all of them good systems in their own right. If she's going to be near a U.S. base (particularly Kadena AB) then she should be able to find a school that is used to teaching American servicemen/women. Bear in mind that it's been about 15 years since I was last in Okinawa. Beautiful island. She may not want to leave :)

I think Okinawa-te (what I practice) can be described as in-between kung fu and traditional karate. Some of the movements resemble karate, some resemble kung fu, some resemble kenpo. Now that I've started FMA training, I'm finding lots of similarities there, but that could just be because I've been training for a while.

Her best bet would be to research Goju, Uechi, and/or Isshin Ryu before she goes to see if any would be suitable for her.

2. Did someone steal your library during your move? What's
the deal there, was it the movers, or a parent, or spouse?

No, the books weren't stolen. Some of them simply can't be found, and some were destroyed by water damage when a pipe on our washing machine blew. :(
Luckily, the books I most value have been found and were spared the water damage.

3. Have you now started studying JKD? Or are there still none
in your area? Are you studying it informally?

Unfortunately, as of yet, I've yet to find an instructor in my area. I'm still trying to get IFAJKD down here for a seminar :) If I do that, I hope to get a group together to study informally, bringing IFAJKD back down whenever we can.

Just curious,

Kirk

No problem. Aren't we all? :D

Cthulhu

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by Cthulhu

Some form of kempo (which I think was bogus) for about a year.

Cthulhu
I think many of of have ended up in some bogus M.A I was learning monkey Kung fu from some guy it was only a month but I think he was bogus also.:(

OP
I

IFAJKD

Cthulhu:
I,m leaving for Florida on Friday. See ya soon. I hope

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being old enough to be a fossile I have studied a few arts not that I have made an instuctors grade level in all
Sikaran
PaiLum
White Leopard(River RiverSociety)
Kenpo
Tkd
Mind Fist
Aikido
Judo
Northern White Dragon
Arnis

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chinese kenpo 2yrs.
Sang Moo Kwan T.K.D apprx.2mos.
American kenpo off/on since about "95"
Became an enthusist (spelling?) in about 19hunard an sebendee seben, man time shore dew fleye!!!! :D

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sikaran
No I ws not taught that it was a kicking art only.
Kicking has a larger part than in many styles but I was instructed in the use of the hands as well. The most noteable thing is most likely the areas of attack.
It was passed down to me as a war art not a sport.

Latest Discussions