Martial Arts Experience

OP
B

bscastro

Sorry, don't know him (or I might have met him and forgot). It has been a couple years since training with the Pekiti Tersia guys (although I hope to get back with them for occassional refreshers soon). Also, I didn't really get into the "larger Pekiti Tersia world" so I just know some of the local guys here in Buffalo/Rochester area.

Bryan

OP
B

bscastro

Checked out website after my last post...no, don't know him. I only know a couple local guys in Buffalo/Rochester area.

Bryan

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Icepick
Martial arts has never gotten old for me. Everytime I start to think I know something, I see a technique that opens my eyes and makes me say WOW!

This has very much been my experience. I'm continually amazed by the variety of techniques and approaches out there. I continue to discover new interpretations of old kata (thanks especially to Ryukyu Kempo seminars on Okinawan grappling techniques). Filipino styles held surprises for me, capoeira and BJJ (neither of which I have practiced, only watched) were eye-opening, and now after all these years I've started Tai Chi and it has its surprises for me. I love this aspect of the martial arts. It feeds an intellectual hunger and an aesthetic hunger in addition to everything else the martial arts provide, and it helps keep me motivated and enthused.

After my children and I practiced Tai Chi last night I reminded them that I have learned much in the martial arts by the simple method of Shutting Up and Listening. I've learned things from beginners who knew much less about the arts than I but who knew different things than I did. There's so much more to know out there.

OP
P

paulk

Quote from Arnisador

'I've learned things from beginners who knew much less about the arts than I but who knew different things than I did. There's so much more to know out there.'

Once you stop and think and start to analyse the techniques you teach as you teach them to new students, you find there is knowledge that the student has and has learnt, and that there is knowledge that the student gives you that the student does'nt know they've got.

Just going back to basics no matter how many times, opens up new trains of thought and gives rise to new ideas.

So folks, don't ignore the beginners, they may not have real knowledge but will certainly have useful information if you can find it.

OP
B

bscastro

As an instructor once told his class: "We are all students...we are all teachers." Sometimes, I try to have the questioning eye of a child when learning a new technique or when reviewing an old one. This often helps me to learn more about the technique as well.

OP
I

IFAJKD

hi guys. Sorry I'm late but here is my history and what I am currently obsessed with.

Judo at 9 years old for only 1 year
Shotokan 2 years
Tae Kwon Do to Black Belt
Jeet Kune Do still going and teaching now
Filipino Kali, Escrima,(mixed Inosanto system) Kino Mutai, dumog, panajakman, panatuken,Silat (maphalindo)
Muay Thai
Western Boxing
BJJ

Currently I teach JKD/FMA/MT under Paul Vunak.....within JKD we work from 26 different systems...
Still awake....?????
If interested check out the Paul Vunak Interview I posted in the JKD area. Very good info
See Ya
train hard
J

OP
A

Aoshi

It's amazing how many of you have so versatile MA experience. But anyway here's mine:

Goju-ryu karate 8yrs
Muay Thai 3yrs
Tae Kwon Do 2yrs
Aikido 1yr
Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu 2yrs (actively training)

OP
W

wongfeihung

Great thread! I see I've found some good company to keep, lots of interesting experience here.

American Karate (eclectic art combining Isshin-Ryu katas with kickboxing and a lot of Kenpo SD) 1976-present with a 2 year hiatus in 1986-1988. Current rank of San-dan. Currently training under my Father and Sensei, J. R. Roy -- his Instructor was Sensei Steven McCabe from Sensei Bruce Ferrini's (sp?) school. I have been teaching group and private classes for children and adults since 1995.

Northern Shaolin Kung Fu 1982-1984. Trained under Dr. Liang Kay Chi, head disciple of Liu Yeun Chiao. Staff, broadsword, spear, praying mantis. I still practice some of the forms and drills, though much is lost.

Northern Shaolin Kung Fu 1982-1985. Trained under Sifu Ray Hayward, co-successor of Master T.T. Liang. Eagle claw, tiger paw and praying mantis. The forms are lost but the experience was unforgettable! Check out Sifu Hayward's site which features many outstanding articles by him, Paul Abdella and T.T. liang.
www.tctaichi.com

Modern Arnis 1988-present. Trained under the late Professor Remy A. Presas and J. R. Roy. Achieved rank of Lakan in 1994, mostly inactive since 1998. I incoporate a lot of the Professor's teachings into my Karate instruction and I still practice many things in my own personal practice.

Yang style T'ai Chi Ch'uan for the past 4 months. Currently training under J. R. Roy who trained under Paul Gallagher and is currently training under Sifu Ray Hayward. I have a familiarity with many of the concepts and two person drills from my Sensei's use of the principles in general practice.

Many thanks to my teachers, students and peers. Sad to reflect back and think how much material has been lost to incativity; but, it only strengthens my resolve to correct past mistakes.

Travis
www.jrroy.com

OP
K

Kenpo Professor

My last count was I'm old after so many years LOL.

1976-started Shotokan Karate with Jerry Francis from Zodiac Karated in Ohio, but moved to Texas where I was. 4 years and only a green belt, he was definitely a hard ***.

1980- Joined USAF and studied with numerous instructors at different bases and achieved minimal rank but lots of knowledge.

1986- Came to California and met up with Vic Leroux (American Kenpo now with IKCA) to Brown Belt.

1990- Still training in Kenpo and earned a 1st Black in Aikido under Manny Rivera Sensei.

1990- Found and stayed with at the time 8th Dan Larry Tatum and have been with him since. I Have earned a 6th Black under his tutelage at this point in time.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Shotokan Karate - 2 years
Tae Kwon Do - 2 years
Hapkido - 1 year
Judo - 1 year
Sanuces JuJitsu - 1 year
*Zujitsu - 7 years

Zujitsu is an eclectic martial art that incorporates techniques and strategies from several disciplines. The system's founder, Soke Chaka Zulu holds black belt ranks in Sanuces Jujitsu, Judo, Tae Kwon Do, and Nisei Goju Karate. He was also a Recon Marine.

It is always a pleasure to train in the various dojos within our federation because I always learn a lot. I've trained with other zujitsuka who have background in Capoiera, Pikiti Tersia, Brazilian JuJitsu, Aikido and the list goes on and on. This is really helping me become a more complete martial artist.

Soke Chaka Zulu does not want clones of himself but unique individual martial artists. He encourages all of his students to cross-train and seek out new information in order to acquire the best martial education possible. Sort of how Bruce Lee encouraged people to absorb what is useful and leave the rest. Master Zulu does in fact have a lot to offer but does not for a second think that he knows it all. He is always learning more and sets a great example for his students. How cool is that? ;)

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Okay, here goes...

Collegiate Wrestling - 6 years, Junior HS and HS (hey, it counts...)
Shaolin Kung-Fu - about 3-4 months back in 1994
Some Japanese JuJutsu, about 3 months, in 1997
Muay Thai/JKD/Kali (Inosanto Blend) - it'll be one year come Jan.
Brazilian JiuJitsu - 3 months now

I'm currently studying MT/JKD/Kali/BJJ under Frank Cucci out in Virginia. The wife and I started together at the beginning of the year, and we love it. I've been interested in the MA since I can remember and have read lots of books, most of which have been lost in my last couple of moves....

OP
M

Ms J

1974 – 1979

Street awareness and realty based self-deffense, street based knife defense and tactics.

1977 to 1980

JKD- gun safety, Range training, Self defense, hand to hand training/Assault training,realty scenario training ” though the Los Angeles police academy

1983 to 87

Filipino marital arts- Castro Combat Eskrima:

1988 to 1993

Military hand-to-hand, awarness, and anti terrorist training

1998 to present

JKD-Inosanto kali- Illistrisimo kali -modern arnis-Doce pares eskrima-Judo- Saber “Fencing”-Silat-Ki-aikido concepts -Military and police training in Gun and Knife tactics-Weapons training and Defense, Victims self defense and awareness, handicapped self defense- de-escalation training. realty scenario training and concepts. Self Defense, Woman’s self defense.

1-2000 to present

F.A.T.E. Organization Founder-CEO:
Founder- Co Developer: F.A.T.E. " Filipino Martial Arts"
Founder- Co Developer: " The Art of Self-Defense & Awareness"

Ok so what does that all mean?

It means i am using my " Licenses to learn "

Ms. J.......
The old, blind, and dyslexic women.....
Who never had the safety of living in
the shoe........

:asian:

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"We are all students...we are all teachers."

So true. There's a concept in Budo called shoshin. It means "Beginner's mind". It's the idea that no matter rank, title or length training in an art, you should approach everything you hear and see as though you were a beginner.

Unfortunately, this is often thrown in the trash in the west :D

Takamatsu sensei said, "To teach is to learn twice"

OP
B

BWright

Kempo for a little less than 10 months (money got short) in 1980.

Modern Arnis for the last year.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay Bell
There's a concept in Budo called shoshin. It means "Beginner's mind". It's the idea that no matter rank, title or length training in an art, you should approach everything you hear and see as though you were a beginner.

Great advice. Part of this approach I'm sure is the humbleness of a beginner.

Takamatsu sensei said, "To teach is to learn twice"

I agree. You don't fully understand it until you're asked to explain it. I think this is an important point: Teaching is part of the learning process. A good instructor will have you help teach new students when you're ready, where ready referes to the stage of your training more than your technical abilities.

Scientists have a saying: "Anyone who can't explain their work to an eleven year old is a fraud." If you truly understand it, you can make it understandable. But this takes time and practice too.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to agree... of course, it does take time to learn how to teach :) but I find that in the process of figuring out how to get the info across to the other person, that if forces me to examine it from many angles, thereby increasing my own understanding of it. I learn by teaching. (of course, the regular tripple checking with the qualified folks helps too...its bad when ya master something the wrong way.) :D

OP
M

Ms J

Its really easy for me to always stay in this frame of mind, and learning constently, see i dont ever want to master anything until i die, you lock yourself into non growth and stagnation once you mastered something or even are titled master in something..

for me its this way, another reason..... wow... its because i have been hugly lucky and gifted over the years to be able to train with some of the best teachers and instructors i could have ever asked for.. training with any of them to this day is a totaly humbling experance for me as well..

god sort of took care of me this way over my life and i give every bit of credit i can to these people.. espicaly for putting up with my old sorry self......:)

ok what do i want it to say when i die on my epatat?
for fun, would be nice to say Weapons Master, but you have to make a note that i did not get promoted to this until made sure i had no breath left........

ok so lets say i had my choice, and for the legal reasons for ranking or teaching would be changed to just instructorship, no belts or titles just levels of instructorship..

hey thats sort of how i did my ranking system........:)

Ms. J........

OP
H

happyguy

All total I've studied about 25 years. Kempo karate , a little wing chun , northern shaolin , pakua chang , and taijiquan . Taijiquan is my area of greatest expertise .

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Primary Training
Modern Arnis since 1982: 6th Degree
Arnis Sikaran: 1st Degree
Balintawak: a little over a year

Secondary training
Bando: 5 years