• 3 - average

• 2 - below average

• 1 - poor

Results are only viewable after voting.

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
So one has to be in complete physical fitmess for defense?
I guess I am talking more about the philosophy of training. If one is training in martial arts, and they are working to be a better person, then awareness of physical fitness would surface. Take training to heart and realize ALL that can be achieved. Physical fitness seems to go hand in hand with this philosophy - to me anyway.

Hope that clarifies my thoughts a little.

Farang - Larry

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:
upnorthkyosa: "Do you think that Martial Arts and Physical Fitness should go hand in hand or do you think one can be a Martial Artist without being physically fit? Why?"

I believe that one can be a martial artist without being physically fit, but I also believe that one can be a better martial artist by being physically fit.

It all depends on your teachers standards. For my teacher, there is absolutely no way you can meet the requirements at the dan level without being in good physical shape.

This does not mean that I, or my teacher, are unwilling to accomodate. For conditions a student can nothing change, I will gladly move the bar to a more appropriate level for some skills. For instance, one of my students only has one leg and she wears a prosthesis to class. Can she do some of our kicks? No, but she can grapple. So that is where we focus.

A good teacher of the martial arts should challenge their students in every way...mentally, emotionally, and physically.

upnorthkyosa

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Do you think that Martial Arts and Physical Fitness should go hand in hand or do you think one can be a Martial Artist without being physically fit? Why?
My thoughts are, anyone no matter how fat or skinny can practice and even excell in martial arts. But, if your fitness doesn't improve you simply aren't practicing a martial art properly.

For me, not using self discipline in my lifestyle and my eating patterns would be ignoring my Tang Soo Do. If I always practice TSD both in and out of the do jang, I will by default improve my health and lose more weight.

When I started, I was so big I had to find a size 10 uniform and have it taylored for my height. 5'9" 300 lbs. My yellow belt was special ordered size 9. My orange, a size 8. Will my green be a 7? I hope so. Then I can get into a normal uniform!

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chobaja said:
My thoughts are, anyone no matter how fat or skinny can practice and even excell in martial arts. But, if your fitness doesn't improve you simply aren't practicing a martial art properly.

For me, not using self discipline in my lifestyle and my eating patterns would be ignoring my Tang Soo Do. If I always practice TSD both in and out of the do jang, I will by default improve my health and lose more weight.

When I started, I was so big I had to find a size 10 uniform and have it taylored for my height. 5'9" 300 lbs. My yellow belt was special ordered size 9. My orange, a size 8. Will my green be a 7? I hope so. Then I can get into a normal uniform!
This is quite true in general terms. What needs to be understood is that this result will differ from art to art, even in sporting ones. Look at the difference between a heavy weight boxer and that of a sumotori. Both would study their sport/art as seriously as the other, but the individual requirements will require a different type of sport specific fitness. This makes a one size fits all model of a martial artist difficult to define.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Colin_Linz said:
[/size][/font]This is quite true in general terms. What needs to be understood is that this result will differ from art to art, even in sporting ones. Look at the difference between a heavy weight boxer and that of a sumotori. Both would study their sport/art as seriously as the other, but the individual requirements will require a different type of sport specific fitness. This makes a one size fits all model of a martial artist difficult to define.
I bet there are even sumotori who think "I just can't eat another 5 pounds of buckwheat noodles" and then resume eating as required.

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chobaja said:
I bet there are even sumotori who think "I just can't eat another 5 pounds of buckwheat noodles" and then resume eating as required.
Yes, it is necessary to push our boundaries when training.
smile.gif

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Colin_Linz said:
[/size][/font]This is quite true in general terms. What needs to be understood is that this result will differ from art to art, even in sporting ones. Look at the difference between a heavy weight boxer and that of a sumotori. Both would study their sport/art as seriously as the other, but the individual requirements will require a different type of sport specific fitness. This makes a one size fits all model of a martial artist difficult to define.
Very well put and solidifies the statement on why so many different ones are needed

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
I think it depends on the type of art, too. Obviously, someone with the same skills/training who is also in better shape (cardio, etc) will probably be able to perform better than another.

But I think it's a bit different if you are talking internal MA vs. external MA. I know some fabulous internal-style guys who are not traditionally "in shape", but there's no way I'd want to take a punch from them.
How true. I know this round-belly, 68 year old Chinese man that move efficiently and takes the wind out of me.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
I think this is exactly right. The reason I say that is because I have a friend that goes to the gym and works out constantly. He does cardio, weight training, etc. I have done some weight training in the gym my self, but my point is, he and I like to box on occasion, and even though he is in much better "gym" shape than me, he has no wind, and it really shows when he takes a good hit.

As far as MA movements not being "natural movements", they are not. That's why we train to the point where the movements become "muscle memory". All in all, if you are a good martial artist, AND in peak physical condition, it sure doesn't hurt any.
Remember to that Martial Arts Builds you body different that weight training. Areas that would not normally build do. Areas that would not normally cut down do... I have a friend that is a compitition Lifter from Batavia NY. His name is Glen Huges, and he has a 6 pack and a half.. Now I am Biger in Bulk But I can take a full punch that would flatten him. He has no strngth in his abs just defenition and cuts. He can out lift me with the upper body but I waste him in the leg machine.. I throw kicks everyday and my legs are all of my power. Plus My Students work with ropes for wind and endurance. A Lot of Gym Lifters don't do these type of exercizes.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
Remember to that Martial Arts Builds you body different that weight training. Areas that would not normally build do. Areas that would not normally cut down do... I have a friend that is a compitition Lifter from Batavia NY. His name is Glen Huges, and he has a 6 pack and a half.. Now I am Biger in Bulk But I can take a full punch that would flatten him. He has no strngth in his abs just defenition and cuts. He can out lift me with the upper body but I waste him in the leg machine.. I throw kicks everyday and my legs are all of my power. Plus My Students work with ropes for wind and endurance. A Lot of Gym Lifters don't do these type of exercizes.
The proto type karate (striking type body) IMHO Strong legs/hips (ability to use power). strong, narrow waistline (punching and kicking are rotation excercises, the narrow the rotation point (axle) the more snap in your strikes). wide shoulders. Genetically we have different strenghts
If someone has a 6 pack with all the bells and whistles they probably have the strenght (esp since the abs are a prime stabilizer for the upperbody). they need to be conditioned to take a shot
Kicks don't necessarily creat a ton of strenght in the legs
Jumping rope is more for co-ordination and footwork, there is not a lot of cardio involved

C

chris...

You can run a marathon and be grossly overweight, general fitness is not required for martial arts but it surely does help, having said that i ride my bike to and from training unless it raining.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
chris... said:
You can run a marathon and be grossly overweight, general fitness is not required for martial arts but it surely does help, having said that i ride my bike to and from training unless it raining.
Martial arts is a blend of skill sets blended with fitness. Do you have to be flexible, NO. Strong, NO, have some staminia, again NO. But it sure does help. If Martial arts are a way of life should you not be watching your diet, getting a little sweat on everyday, and staying limber?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Martial arts is a blend of skill sets blended with fitness. Do you have to be flexible, NO. Strong, NO, have some staminia, again NO. But it sure does help. If Martial arts are a way of life should you not be watching your diet, getting a little sweat on everyday, and staying limber?
But does the way of life have to state that it has to be a Charles Atlas?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
But does the way of life have to state that it has to be a Charles Atlas?
No not really. As we get older though it will be harder and harder to keep fit and trim. It all depends upon the individual to do what they can to stay in shape.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
No not really. As we get older though it will be harder and harder to keep fit and trim. It all depends upon the individual to do what they can to stay in shape.
But given that, there are a lot of "old timers" who do not look like bow-flex people.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The people from the bow flex commercial train for certian results. Ma training entails more then that. My point if MA is a way of life, would'nt that include doing things to increase that way of life, diet, exercise.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Ma training entails more then that. My point if MA is a way of life, would'nt that include doing things to increase that way of life, diet, exercise.
You got it.
:partyon:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
But given that, there are a lot of "old timers" who do not look like bow-flex people.
I have a hard time believing that the people in the bow flex infomercial completely work out on the bow flex.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
1) Remember to that Martial Arts Builds you body different that weight training. Areas that would not normally build do.

2) Areas that would not normally cut down do...

3) I have a friend that is a compitition Lifter from Batavia NY. His name is Glen Huges, and he has a 6 pack and a half.. Now I am Biger in Bulk But I can take a full punch that would flatten him. He has no strngth in his abs just defenition and cuts. He can out lift me with the upper body but I waste him in the leg machine..

4) I throw kicks everyday and my legs are all of my power. Plus My Students work with ropes for wind and endurance. A Lot of Gym Lifters don't do these type of exercizes.

1)[font=&quot] [/font]Uh..yeah that’s kinda obvious. That’s like saying baskeyball is not the same as weight lifting….

2)[font=&quot] [/font]Spot reduction is a common myth….there is no such thing.

3)[font=&quot] [/font]If he has a 6 pack then he must have more definition than you and obviously less body fat.

4)[font=&quot] [/font]Hmmmm…usually when people do leg work it involves cardiovascular type work and if done in decent amounts tends to slim people up pretty nicely

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I have a hard time believing that the people in the bow flex infomercial completely work out on the bow flex.
[font=&quot]Well there is 1 thing you and I agree on. [/font]

Latest Discussions