Relative merit of distance learning...

Martial Arts v.s. Self Defense...

Endless political debate...

Lutefisk or Nukes
Valhalla or Heaven
Valkyries or Angels
Viking Berzerk or Other inferior arts

My background is with BJJ, so I only know what goes on in that arena:

Whether BJJ black belt should be have a tournament background.
Whether BJJ folks should be required to teach as part of a belt requirement - such as purples having to teach white belts.
If personal character should be considered when awarding belts.
If your jiu jitsu knowledge is "complete" if you have never trained self-defense.
If everyone should be required to train self-defense.
If you should be able to tap out most people at your belt level before you can progress to the next level.
If belts should only reflect skill.

what other (common?) martial art-related debates are there?
- Internal vs. external,
- Principle vs. technique,
- Combat vs. health,
- Keep style pure vs. cross training,
- Train maximum weight vs. train comfortable weight,
- Body unification vs. muscle group isolation,
- Judo gi vs. wrestling no-gi,
- Haymaker vs. jab/cross,
- WC stance vs. double legs,
- WC right Bon Shou vs. right punch,
- Bridging vs. no bridging,
- Bagua cross legs vs. foot sweep,
- Taiji slow training vs. praying mantis fast training,
- Form training vs. drills training,
- Vertical punch vs. horizontal punch,
- Arm bar vs. leg biting,

Last edited:
Should children be awarded black belts?

Well at my dojo one of the requirements for a black belt is that you have to be able to take a hit like a full grown man, so there is really no debate over whether a child should be awarded a black belt or not, at least not at my dojo.

Well at my dojo one of the requirements for a black belt is that you have to be able to take a hit like a full grown man, so there is really no debate over whether a child should be awarded a black belt or not, at least not at my dojo.

edit: read that wrong.

How do you test this?

I might flunk that test ;)

Black belt candidates have to "be able to take a hit like a full grown man"? You mean they have to be able to hit the ground writhing in pain and/or get knocked out? I'm pretty sure kids can do that. I know I've seen my share of adults do it.

Pax,

Chris

What I seen so far on this forum is how long does it take to be consider a black belt or what skills is needed to be a black belt.

With so many different arts and so many orgs there will be too many different ways of thought on the martial arts.

I Usually stuff like where a technique came from or how it used/can be used(or can't) in some way that's a question with more answers than imaginable there's a lot of situations and variations that are debatable, good question.

Should you build your foundation to be perfect before you can test your skill, or should you test your skill even if your foundation is not perfect yet?

Back