Marijuana and depression do not mix together

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting.... I've heard others claim that marijuana is "not addictive" and that it is "harmless". This study (the article is fairly superficial) appears to debunk the myths associated with marijuana. However, there needs to be more studies done to examine the effects of marijuana, so the jury is still out for the moment.

There is a a paragraph in this article that caught my attention:

Depressed teens are more than twice as likely as others to abuse or become dependent on marijuana, it said. And teenagers who use marijuana more than at least once a month are three times more likely to have suicidal thoughts than teenagers who do not use the drug, it said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/05/09/depression.marijuana/index.html

- Ceicei

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's unneccessarily specific. Depressed teens are more likely to use any drug, not just reefer.

I'm confused because pot tends to be a social drug and any self-respecting depressive person would decline to be in a positive (relatively) social situation.

I've seen more teens, personally seen that is, that become suicidal on prescription adhd, bipolar, etc meds. On the whole, I think we drug our kids far too quickly and severely.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The problem here, as always, is to figure out what the direction of cause-and-effect is... is marijuana use in these cases a factor, or a symptom, of the more dangerous edge of the depression spectrum.

This is a hard one to figure out, because you have two variables, one readily measurable (frequency of drug use) and one really, really hard to access (the degree and nature of the depression). Depression itself is a complex condition—there are emotional, cognitive and biochemical dimensions to it that we are far from being able to describe correctly, let alone understand fully. So a correlation like this is a real poser for people trying to work out either treatment regimes or drug regulation policies.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
According to scientific research that I have read, marijuana does not cause a CHEMICAL addiction. That is the body does not become dependant on the substance to function and removing that substance will cause withdrawls like alcohol, tobacco, caffiene etc.

But, ANY substance that "makes you feel good" is an addictive substance due to behavioral reasons and habits. I remember the old psych experiment that they hooked up a little electrode in the brain of a lab rat and when the rat pushed the bar it would stimulate that area. The rats were pushing the bar repeatedly nonstop until they starved themselves to death.

The pleasure/pain principle is one of the strongest we have. We will do almost anything to get "pleasure" and do almost anything to avoid "pain". But, also remember that pleasure/pain is how each individual perceives those stimuli.

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
the drugs they give you to treat depression... do not mix with depression either.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
According to scientific research that I have read, marijuana does not cause a CHEMICAL addiction. That is the body does not become dependant on the substance to function and removing that substance will cause withdrawls like alcohol, tobacco, caffiene etc.

But, ANY substance that "makes you feel good" is an addictive substance due to behavioral reasons and habits. I remember the old psych experiment that they hooked up a little electrode in the brain of a lab rat and when the rat pushed the bar it would stimulate that area. The rats were pushing the bar repeatedly nonstop until they starved themselves to death.

The pleasure/pain principle is one of the strongest we have. We will do almost anything to get "pleasure" and do almost anything to avoid "pain". But, also remember that pleasure/pain is how each individual perceives those stimuli.
Well for some pain is close to pleasure. Some folks go out of their way to be in pain. They could be described as depressive or manic depressive (now called bi-polar?).
Marijuana use for some is a form of therapy (self -prescribed) to get away from whatever ails them. Bad family/home life, jobs, living situations. Others use it as a substitute or a variant of alcohol like a social drug. Get a little buzz going on and the rest of the evening is okey-dokey.
Either way to say that it's not addictive is a misnomer, IMO.
Depression and ANY drug shouldn't be mixed period.
I agree that we too quickly medicate our children before analyzing the disease. It's easier that way. Physicians and Psychologists get paid per patient and the more they see in a given day the quicker they can get their mortgages paid off, so it's easier to hear a few symptoms and say "this drug" or "that drug" will do.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the drugs they give you to treat depression... do not mix with depression either.
Its all about keeping a positive mind set. The drugs aren't a cure. They change your mind set until your negatives creep back into your life. Then its time to change the psychoctive substance. With extensive therapy the drugs "can" aid in a recovery from depression. A poor medical plan means you are just adding fuel to the fire. Marijuana will help you avoid depression when you first try it; however, it will eventualy be dealt with by a negative mindset and eventually be part of the cause of your depression.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well for some pain is close to pleasure. Some folks go out of their way to be in pain. They could be described as depressive or manic depressive (now called bi-polar?).
Marijuana use for some is a form of therapy (self -prescribed) to get away from whatever ails them. Bad family/home life, jobs, living situations. Others use it as a substitute or a variant of alcohol like a social drug. Get a little buzz going on and the rest of the evening is okey-dokey.
Either way to say that it's not addictive is a misnomer, IMO.
I agree that we too quickly medicate our children before analyzing the disease. It's easier that way. Physicians and Psychologists get paid per patient and the more they see in a given day the quicker they can get their mortgages paid off, so it's easier to hear a few symptoms and say "this drug" or "that drug" will do.
Thats not true. Drugs can aid in a recovery.
Sean

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its all about keeping a positive mind set. The drugs aren't a cure. They change your mind set until your negatives creep back into your life. Then its time to change the psychoctive substance. With extensive therapy the drugs "can" aid in a recovery from depression. A poor medical plan means you are just adding fuel to the fire. Marijuana will help you avoid depression when you first try it; however, it will eventualy be dealt with by a negative mindset and eventually be part of the cause of your depression.
Sean
So the drugs (pills or MJ) are to be used as a stabilizing force until the mind is able to bring itself around to dealing with the negatives in your life. I think a huge part of the problem that we run into is that letting go of that crutch is just "too darn hard". It's easier to take more and increasingly powerful drugs than it is to deal with the problems in your life. There ARE folks who have a genuine problem in the way their brain releases chemicals into the body to deal with everyday life, however, far too many people run screaming for the latest "anti-depressant" to deal with a temporary set back in life instead of "buckin' up" and dealing with it. As a result their brain (which is actually functioning properly) has to deal with chemicals attempting to re-wire it and thus begins the never ending cycle that the shrinks and drug companies love so much.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So the drugs (pills or MJ) are to be used as a stabilizing force until the mind is able to bring itself around to dealing with the negatives in your life. I think a huge part of the problem that we run into is that letting go of that crutch is just "too darn hard". It's easier to take more and increasingly powerful drugs than it is to deal with the problems in your life. There ARE folks who have a genuine problem in the way their brain releases chemicals into the body to deal with everyday life, however, far too many people run screaming for the latest "anti-depressant" to deal with a temporary set back in life instead of "buckin' up" and dealing with it. As a result their brain (which is actually functioning properly) has to deal with chemicals attempting to re-wire it and thus begins the never ending cycle that the shrinks and drug companies love so much.
Don't you just love "for profit" medical plans? This hopeless cycle of addiction is preferable to being on a list for treatment, in Canada, I'm told on The Druggie Limba show.
Sean

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Thats not true. Drugs can aid in a recovery.
Sean
Provided with a larger dose of psycho-therapy, they probably could. But in my experience with it all, being prescribed Zoloft and only getting maybe 5 minutes of therapy at a time each month... I was being run through the mill.
I'm serious the psychiatrist only spent 5 minutes with me each month. Asked how I was doing, wrote some notes then upped the dosage of the zoloft then sent me on the way.

oh, p.s. I never took one mg of the damned stuff. But after 5 months or so... he did comment, "well... you are showing some improvement". Then upped the dosage again. I'd like to thank the academy if you please.

This has turned me off on the pill-pushing psychoanalysts.
Gimme a therapist who won't let me get out of the room without asking me some hard and direct questions about how I'm doing, then actually taking the 50 minutes he's SUPPOSED to spend with me helping me figure myself out.

Latest Discussions