Making MA instructional DVD! HELP!!!

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
okay Y'all,

Im going to be making my own Kenpo instructional DVD's for my students, I have never recorded anything other than some youtube videos. Any insights on the process or things that you did or didn't like
in an instructional video/DVD.

Thanks for the help

Chris

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll be up front with the fact that I do not have any faith in DVD instruction, if that is the only venue. I believe it can range from being simply a bad idea and waste of time to being a downright fraud on the part of the person making and selling the videos.

I believe DVD can be a useful aid if a student is also regularly meeting with an instructor as the primary and main source of instruction.

That being said, you might want to give some more info. Is this meant to be a training aid to students who are established and with you for the long haul? Will they still be meeting with you? Or do you envision the DVD becoming the primary or only means of instruction? Do you intend to market this to people who are not your personal students, or is it strictly an "In-House" training aid?

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would say the most important aspect of making a video look professional is the lighting.

You can:

1. Buy good lighting equipment + research or
2. Spend around $100 and hire college Film Making students that may be able to help you with the equipment/setting and guide you in the proper direction.

Once the video is done, I would suggest using a Mac to edit the videos. They are very simple to use for video editing.

Sound would be the next most important thing. Spending money on a wireless microphone for cams will definitely help you. If that's not possible, you would have to go with the mic on a boom pole.

Here's a supper budget way to make one:

[yt]83d3qLHaAN4[/yt]

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am making the videos specificly for my students so they can refresh on techniques and be able to see the forms/tech/concepts done correctly at home.

I'll be up front with the fact that I do not have any faith in DVD instruction, if that is the only venue. I believe it can range from being simply a bad idea and waste of time to being a downright fraud on the part of the person making and selling the videos.

I believe DVD can be a useful aid if a student is also regularly meeting with an instructor as the primary and main source of instruction.

That being said, you might want to give some more info. Is this meant to be a training aid to students who are established and with you for the long haul? Will they still be meeting with you? Or do you envision the DVD becoming the primary or only means of instruction? Do you intend to market this to people who are not your personal students, or is it strictly an "In-House" training aid?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
You could upload them to Youtube as private videos and give students permission to individual videos as they get to that material.
That's just a suggestion.

AoG

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In general my pet peeve is that most folks can't talk and move at the same time. This is not an insult. Its just being human. There is a reason why Broadway actors earn their keep. Singing and dancing...at the same time...and making without making it look strained is a difficult thing.

I strongly prefer videos that do not have the instructor trying to talk when they are performing. Titles or captions can always be added with software...and for that matter, voice overdubs can always be added with software as well :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm working on much the same project to document my system. I'm concentrating right now primarily on shooting kata from several perspectives:front, side, bird's eye at full speed and at half-speed. I'm making no efforts to talk to the camera at this point. Like Carol said, we can add voice overs and subtitles later. I'm making an effort to show and explain as much basics as possible like correct stances, weapon grips, transitional movements, basically the whole shebang. I don't necessarily know the videos will be great for learning from, but that's really not the intent here.

TKD'oh

White Belt
Reaction score
"Star Wipe and we're out!"

I think there was a Simpsons episode where Homer was making his own videos and every transition between shots was a "Star Wipe." Crazy transitions seem like a good idea but they usually only end making the video look cheap and cheesy. Stick with cuts or simple dissolves/fades.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay Y'all,

Im going to be making my own Kenpo instructional DVD's for my students, I have never recorded anything other than some youtube videos. Any insights on the process or things that you did or didn't like
in an instructional video/DVD.

Thanks for the help

Chris

I've never made my own inst. tapes, other than recording a workout/training session for my own personal review afterwards. However, I'll give some tips, going on what I've seen of other inst. videos.

My first question...are these going to be professionally done or are you having one of your students hold a camera, while you do the techs/katas/basics, etc? I'm no video expert, so it may be possible to do the latter, and edit them to make them look good, sound good, etc.

I'd suggest doing the techs. a few times....once fast, showing how its supposed to look, a few times slow, really breaking things down, showing close-up shots, etc., and another time quick. Working different angles is also a plus, as well as possibly an overhead shot.

Katas pretty much the same way. You could do one angle with the camera facing you, another behind, etc.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Youtube online group area only for IRT practitioner's at no cost. It is geared as a refresher for material covered and not a primary teaching tool! I usually talk, show the technique with explanation and then we do repetition. We have been able to cover a lot from tool training to empty hand to grappling in this manner. I generally show it from the front, side and back. The back view is essential because if someone were training with me that is when and where we would start to do repetitions. Here is a video clip on one variation of a folding knife draw that shows how I do it with this particular program. This might give you some ideas!

[yt]p87avMA5rSY[/yt]

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks that helps a lot Brian!!

I have a Youtube online group area only for IRT practitioner's at no cost. It is geared as a refresher for material covered and not a primary teaching tool! I usually talk, show the technique with explanation and then we do repetition. We have been able to cover a lot from tool training to empty hand to grappling in this manner. I generally show it from the front, side and back. The back view is essential because if someone were training with me that is when and where we would start to do repetitions. Here is a video clip on one variation of a folding knife draw that shows how I do it with this particular program. This might give you some ideas!

[yt]p87avMA5rSY[/yt]

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks, already on my list, I am going with the second option (my wife we be working the camera) and I will edit the videos down for clarity.

Thanks

Chris

I've never made my own inst. tapes, other than recording a workout/training session for my own personal review afterwards. However, I'll give some tips, going on what I've seen of other inst. videos.

My first question...are these going to be professionally done or are you having one of your students hold a camera, while you do the techs/katas/basics, etc? I'm no video expert, so it may be possible to do the latter, and edit them to make them look good, sound good, etc.

I'd suggest doing the techs. a few times....once fast, showing how its supposed to look, a few times slow, really breaking things down, showing close-up shots, etc., and another time quick. Working different angles is also a plus, as well as possibly an overhead shot.

Katas pretty much the same way. You could do one angle with the camera facing you, another behind, etc.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Make sure to find a balance when explaining. Too much info and you will lose the audience, too little and you will leave interpretation up to them.

Get to the point and give only the details that are needed. The rest (why and what fore) can be discussed in class if needed.

Get to what I like to call the meat and potatoes of anything. Because this will just be something supplemental, this approach will work best, in my opinion.

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks ATC

Make sure to find a balance when explaining. Too much info and you will lose the audience, too little and you will leave interpretation up to them.

Get to the point and give only the details that are needed. The rest (why and what fore) can be discussed in class if needed.

Get to what I like to call the meat and potatoes of anything. Because this will just be something supplemental, this approach will work best, in my opinion.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do NOT have someone hold the camera, absolutely use a tripod. Almost nothing is as annoying, or looks less professional, than the camera bobbing around during the shoot.

Use as high quality a camera as you can get a hold of.

Good lighting is extremely important. Your dojo is probably not nearly as well lit as you think it is. What seems well lit to human eyes indoors is often not very well lit for the camera.

Do not have people in the frame that are not directly part of the technique, if doing kata you should be the only person in the frame.

Try to have as un-cluttered a background as possible to keep distractions to a minimum and keep people focused on the subject (you).

I agree with Carol, do voice overs and captions separate from the filming. Not only will it likely sound better but you'll be able to make sure you don't miss anything in the description, and can easily do the audio over if you did.

After you're done editing have someone else proof it for you, it's very easy to overlook things when editing your own work, something you don't even notice could be a large problem for others.

Good luck with the project!

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always wanted to do videos with a top down perspective. I think it would really help to show the target/weapon relationships and attack/defensive foot work.

Mark

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seemed to work for Huk Planas :)
You're not saying he talked to much are you?
icon12.gif

Hey those types were pioneers. They don't count.
icon7.gif