“Relaxing,” by Shinichi Tohei

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
“Relaxing,” by Shinichi Tohei

“‘Relaxing’ is important not only for performing the techniques of Shinshin Toitsu Aikido but also for performing the other styles of Budo and various sports. This is because by ‘relaxing’, we will be in the state of mind and body unification, our posture will become stable, and we will be able to move our body in the ways that we require.”

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Almost impossible to teach. You can talk about it until you are blue in the face. Relaxation is something that everyone has to find on their own. Once they find it though, things start to become clearer.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'll take it a step or 2 further and sound very CMA fortune cookie-ish along the way

It is impossible to teach but not impossible to learn

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll take it a step or 2 further and sound very CMA fortune cookie-ish along the way

It is impossible to teach but not impossible to learn
This 'relaxation' or softness is the reason I took up aikido. Tohei seems to be the only student of O'Sensi to actually 'teach' it but it cost him his position in the organisation. It is difficult to learn because it is almost impossible to find a teacher who actually understands it. I believe that this 'relaxation' was the original 'soft' of Goju ryu.
Having recently trained in Okinawa I was privileged to spend some time with Tetsuhiro Hokama Sensei. It was this part of training that I was interested in exploring with Hokama Sensei. He certainly uses it in his training and I was really appreciative of the time he allowed me.
In my training we practise Tohei's principles constantly. I believe that ultimately it is the most important part of MA training. :asian:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I train Yang Taijiquan and relaxation, similar to what Shinichi Tohei is talking about is very important. And it is taught, kinda sorta. However you can teach and teach and teach relaxation to someone and they may never get it. In my experience it takes time, training and the ability to listen and desire to understand.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions