MAKA speed engine | improve your speed Jab and reaction

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is there any way to translate youtube vids? Or get English captions?

OP
ice84

ice84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is there any way to translate youtube vids? Or get English captions?

Unfortunally no but you can ask me and i try to translate

OP
ice84

ice84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, Ice. So what's he saying throughout the vid?

You are welcome Buka. He is saying how to increase the speed of your jab with your body. Speed come from the relaxation of different sections of your body and from the ground arrive to the hand . Than he show the same principle you can use for the defence.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good movement! For anyone paying attention. This is one important element of a "long range game" in boxing. Notice how he can be just outside the reach of his opponent's punch, evade back with body movement so that punch won't reach him, then use that to load up for a fast surge forward to tag his opponent .....and then get back out of range again before the opponent can respond. At the end of the clip he even used a side step to get a new angle on the opponent as he moved away after his punch.

He is using the forward weight shift that is part of the "drop step" in boxing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good movement! For anyone paying attention. This is one important element of a "long range game" in boxing. Notice how he can be just outside the reach of his opponent's punch, evade back with body movement so that punch won't reach him, then use that to load up for a fast surge forward to tag his opponent .....and then get back out of range again before the opponent can respond. At the end of the clip he even used a side step to get a new angle on the opponent as he moved away after his punch.

He is using the forward weight shift that is part of the "drop step" in boxing.

I actually think it is the opposite. where the hand goes then the leg goes.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the OP video, I identify with the student in black more than anything else. Seems to keep his hands up more. The jab, taking the looooong way back down by your hips, never worked well for me.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Surprised more people haven't recognized this movement from the OP's video. In White Crane we call it a Whipping Branch strike. It's a 45 degree backfist, and a running hit (meaning it continues on its course) as compared to a stop hit (That ends on impact). Bruce Lee utilized this in Enter the Dragon. If I'm not mistaken, in JKD its mechanics are a combination of a boxing jab and fencing cut (as illustrated in DB's video). Bruce Lee labelled it as "Funnel Theory" when punching and as "Pendulum Theory" when kicking. It's not something new, though apparently not well known. It's a simple method of utilizing alternating leg weight to add momentum and gravity to a technique. Exercises like galloping and skipping help develop the mechanics and footwork.

Reactions: KPM

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the OP video, I identify with the student in black more than anything else. Seems to keep his hands up more. The jab, taking the looooong way back down by your hips, never worked well for me.

Pros and cons. Hands down makes your striking harder to predict. But you need good evasion skills.

I hands up as well.

Latest Discussions