articles in WCI magazine...

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just skimmed the latest edition of Wing Chun Illustrated...

It highlights two of Yip Man's students/diciples... "Mak Po Shing" (disciple of YM from the mid 50's); and a "Roland Tong" (also from the mid 50's generation).
They both seem to indicate that YM was not very consistent in his teachings. He taught each according to that students' own understanding. And, the articles go on to say that not everyone was taught the full measure of YM's skill. Just sayin'... ;)

Also, the articles speak of YM's footwork skill, his tremendous abilities with just his legs and kicks and positioning ability...so perhaps YM had a long range ****-whoopin abilty that only a few got as well? (along with the pole and knives) :D

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
And, the articles go on to say that not everyone was taught the full measure of YM's skill. Just sayin'... ;)

Also, the articles speak of YM's footwork skill, his tremendous abilities with just his legs and kicks and positioning ability...so perhaps YM had a long range ****-whoopin abilty that only a few got as well? (along with the pole and knives) :D

As much should be painfully obvious by now, I think.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
As much should be painfully obvious by now, I think.
If by obvious you mean imperceptible, I completely agree. Your right about the painful part though. Also dizzying.

I've still yet to see this long range Wing Chun brought into evidence. Maybe I should start claiming boxing is a good ground fighting system in every thread for so you can see what I see. ;)

diego_guidone

White Belt
Reaction score
Just skimmed the latest edition of Wing Chun Illustrated...

It highlights two of Yip Man's students/diciples... "Mak Po Shing" (disciple of YM from the mid 50's); and a "Roland Tong" (also from the mid 50's generation).
They both seem to indicate that YM was not very consistent in his teachings. He taught each according to that students' own understanding. And, the articles go on to say that not everyone was taught the full measure of YM's skill. Just sayin'... ;)

I think that's for sure correct. First I trained in Wang Kiu/Victor Kan system, and as much as I loved the system there was a lack in explaining why we do certain movements in the forms, and the thinking behind those forms.
But if you know that Wang Kiu only trained for 2.5 years with YM and had a full time job in Hong Kong( so probably 12 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week ). You understand why he lacked that knowledge. Viktor Kan on the other hand who trained for 7years full time with YM, probably has knowledge, because he helped YM with instructing, but doesn't want to explain peopleand has a horrible personality (ask anyone that trained with him) so we don't even know what he knows... he also really likes money. But you can feel his strength and just by briefly training with him you can feel that.

Since a few years I started training Wong Shun Leung Philipp Bayer system. WSL trained about 20years with YM. In my opinion you get to hear way more information and more in-depth information

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Reactions: LFJ

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here ya go. Probably best to continue the discussion there if you wish, in an attempt to keep it all in one place.
Yes, I saw that. The old deadly side kick to the knee canard. That doesn't actually work you know, that's an old MA wives tale, right up there with "TMA is too deadly for competition."

Your right though, this doesn't belong in this thread.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I saw that. The old deadly side kick to the knee canard. That doesn't actually work you know, that's an old MA wives tale, right up there with "TMA is too deadly for competition."

That wasn't at all the whole point of the post, but in case you're just a newb and not just trolling, here's a freaking spinning back kick to the knee that ends a fight.

If even that can be pulled off against a trained fighter, of course a far more reliably precise oblique kick or side kick to the knee can absolutely cause serious injury and end a fight.

Last edited:

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
@LFJ beat me to some of the videos, especially the Jones one. Here is another.

Now you see what it can do from the front in terms of hyperextension. The thing is the knee is designed to take an amount of stress in the direction and it can still mess you up. Now apply that same force from the side, which the knee is not designed to deal with. It works definitely when used properly, why? Biomechanics. All of our joints are designed to only bend one way or another.

What I especially loved in the video I linked was that even in the face of "no one uses WC techniques in MMA what did the one fight commentator say "that's a Wing Chun technique."

Last edited:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here ya go. Probably best to continue the discussion there if you wish, in an attempt to keep it all in one place.

That ain't it bro! And just the fact that you think it is speaks volumes about your understanding! ;)

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
so perhaps YM had a long range ****-whoopin abilty that only a few got as well? (along with the pole and knives) :D

Maybe so! But there is no evidence of that so far! ;)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
That wasn't at all the whole point of the post, but in case you're just a newb and not just trolling, here's a freaking spinning back kick to the knee that ends a fight.

If even that can be pulled off against a trained fighter, of course a far more reliably precise oblique kick or side kick to the knee can absolutely cause serious injury and end a fight.

Nope, not trolling. Your first video was a totally different technique than I was talking about, landing in fluke timing just as the other guy is kicking.

So sure, if you happen to land something like that at that exact moment you should probably also buy a lottery ticket, as luck is on your side.

As for the second video that shows actual side kicks toward the knee. That was what, ten clips? 0 of them ended the fight.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope, not trolling. Your first video was a totally different technique than I was talking about, landing in fluke timing just as the other guy is kicking.

So sure, if you happen to land something like that at that exact moment you should probably also buy a lottery ticket, as luck is on your side.

As for the second video that shows actual side kicks toward the knee. That was what, ten clips? 0 of them ended the fight.
The last part made me SMH. There is no "one shot one kill" in a fight unless you have a sniper rifle. It's about breaking them down bit by bit and the joints, and face, are the most effective targets for that. This is actual basic biology, I don't even know why there is a debate and if you look back at the history between me and @LFJ the fact we are on the same page here should tell you something.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your first video was a totally different technique than I was talking about, landing in fluke timing just as the other guy is kicking.

It was actually one of his signature counters against kicks and landed with perfect timing as the opponent's base leg was turned out.

Of course, point being, a knee stomp can far more reliably land with perfect precision and damage the knee.
At the very least it can have someone walking funny and unable to fight back as effectively. It's a sharp pain.

Even a rather mild hyperextension can take weeks to heal.
A more serious hyperextension can damage ligaments and cartilage and require surgery.
Knee stomps are definitely not to be scoffed at.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
It works definitely when used properly, why? Biomechanics.

Hard to argue against how the human body is built.

What I especially loved in the video I linked was that even in the face of "no one uses WC techniques in MMA what did the one fight commentator say "that's a Wing Chun technique."

Right.

This is actual basic biology, I don't even know why there is a debate and if you look back at the history between me and @LFJ the fact we are on the same page here should tell you something.

It tells me this kid is either a really basic newb or just trolling. Probably both.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
The last part made me SMH. There is no "one shot one kill" in a fight unless you have a sniper rifle. It's about breaking them down bit by bit and the joints, and face, are the most effective targets for that. This is actual basic biology, I don't even know why there is a debate and if you look back at the history between me and @LFJ the fact we are on the same page here should tell you something.

Yes, it tells me you have the same religious beliefs.

It also tells me you haven't been following the conversation. My post was in response to his claim side kicks to the knee are deadly fight enders, where in reality that is barely ever the case. Reality Trump's theory every time.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, it tells me you have the same religious beliefs.

It also tells me you haven't been following the conversation. My post was in response to his claim side kicks to the knee are deadly fight enders, where in reality that is barely ever the case. Reality Trump's theory every time.

They actually are crippling fight enders when applied correctly. One day at work I was trying to kick to the common peroneal and hit the knee instead. I had to write my UoF memo in A LOT more detail than usual because the suspect required surgery. Even when it isn't that catastrophic it can easily make the opponent less effective in combat because you undermine their foundation, even if the long term result is simply ice, Aleve and bed rest.

Reactions: LFJ

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
They actually are crippling fight enders when applied correctly. One day at work I was trying to kick to the common peroneal and hit the knee instead. I had to write my UoF memo in A LOT more detail than usual because the suspect required surgery. Even when it isn't that catastrophic it can easily make the opponent less effective in combat because you undermine their foundation, even if the long term result is simply ice, Aleve and bed rest.

This kid must just be really young and inactive to not know how easily knees can be damaged.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
This kid must just be really young and inactive to not know how easily knees can be damaged.

Or maybe he just has a different experience? Not everything has to be so black and white you know.

Latest Discussions