MAKA KARATE Bunkai. Grab the elbow and Breaks.

ice84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys new video about my Sifu about Karate Bunkai. Enjoy

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tad confusing that you have a sifu in karate?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't hear what is being said but it looks like techniques rather than 'bunkai' which is the usual term most understand for techniques worked from kata. Is this from a kata, if so which one. It's also unusual uniform for karate.

OP
ice84

ice84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys yes I call him sifu because I study his MAKA system that include karate TKD wing chun Bjj etc my sifu starts his carrer in Karate at age of 6 and was in national team of karate isince 2000 to 2003.

About the term bunkai or the kata I don't know you could ask him directly on YouTube or his fan page www.facebook.com/pietrodirauso .

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've now heard the video and obviously it's not in English. I think if you are going to post videos up it would help if you can answer questions about them.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My concern is that a beginner could watch this, and attempt to turn his back on his opponent without a good arm lock.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow. tell him to ease off during a demo. Your partner is just standing there. Don't crank the lock.

Otherwise nice vid.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tad confusing that you have a sifu in karate?

A sifu is the guy taking the class. They can also be called Sensei, coach or just use their names.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A sifu is the guy taking the class. They can also be called Sensei, coach or just use their names.

Nope, Sifu is CMA, Sensei is Japanese arts, Korean is something else ( sorry I can't remember) to mix them up would be disrespectful and why would you mix them up? We don't call Australia Austria after all or New Zealand?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope, Sifu is CMA, Sensei is Japanese arts, Korean is something else ( sorry I can't remember) to mix them up would be disrespectful and why would you mix them up? We don't call Australia Austria after all or New Zealand?

So if a Chinese guy did karate what would you call him?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if a Chinese guy did karate what would you call him?

Do you mean as the instructor? If so he's Sensei as it's a Japanese art, if he's instructing a Chinese style he's Sifu. It's not the ethnicity of the student/instructor it's the origin of the style that determines the nomenclature.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Man. You would hate Judo.
I think the key words were a BEGINNER trying it.

There's a big difference between someone who's learning from an actual teacher who tells him how and when and being corrected by the teacher and partners, and the contingent of clowns who watch YouTube and trying this stuff when it really matters.

But yeah, not putting stuff online to avoid their idiocy is akin to not making sexual, violent, etc. movies because "kids might see it." It's not a valid reason IMO.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you mean as the instructor? If so he's Sensei as it's a Japanese art, if he's instructing a Chinese style he's Sifu. It's not the ethnicity of the student/instructor it's the origin of the style that determines the nomenclature.

Ok. ultimately what difference does it make? People steal each others culture all the time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does make a difference. If someone is selling you what they do as genuine karate ( or TKD and BJJ for that matter) then it sends up warnings if they are calling themselves a sifu. If you went to a BJJ class down your road and the Caucasian instructor is shouting out instructions in Japanese and calling himself sifu would you not think that perhaps he doesn't know what he's talking about? Even more so when that BJJ is all mixed up with TKD and karate as the OP says his instructor teaches.

A haka is still a haka whoever does it, doing a haka, while calling it a Highland reel but then teaching people a sword dance instead would the equivalent I'm talking about.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It does make a difference. If someone is selling you what they do as genuine karate ( or TKD and BJJ for that matter) then it sends up warnings if they are calling themselves a sifu. If you went to a BJJ class down your road and the Caucasian instructor is shouting out instructions in Japanese and calling himself sifu would you not think that perhaps he doesn't know what he's talking about? Even more so when that BJJ is all mixed up with TKD and karate as the OP says his instructor teaches.

A haka is still a haka whoever does it, doing a haka, while calling it a Highland reel but then teaching people a sword dance instead would the equivalent I'm talking about.

All I look for is if it works. For example the not really Japanese jujitsu is generally better than the proper stuff.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All I look for is if it works. For example the not really Japanese jujitsu is generally better than the proper stuff.
But how does one new to the martial arts determine if it works?

It's easier to know if someone is mixing terms they should know how to use than if their stuff is the really realz.

Latest Discussions