Bunkai I - A look at the original explanation

Victor Smith

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm beginning a new series on my blog about 'bunkai', using Mabuni Kenwa's original examples from his 1934 ‘Goshin Karate Kempo’ using Seienchin Kata.

http://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2011/09/bunkai-i-look-at-original-explanation.html

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Great article. I especially like Charles Goodin's article at the end of yours. I've met Mr. Goodin and have seen the karate library he donated to the University of Hawaii at Manoa. It's the greatest collection of rare karate books on Earth.

The subject of bunkai is controversial for many karateka. I recognize that bunkai may be a new word, but the concept of "bunkai" seems to be old. Karateka aren't really inventing anything with the study of bunkai. They are merely unlocking the kata, IMO.

BTW - I'm going to post Goodin's article separately. Its worth discussing on its own.

KyoshiLarry

White Belt
Reaction score
My name is Larry Nichols. I studied Chinese, Japanese and Korean martial arts for over 30 years. I read a post about Bunkai last night. Someone posted about wasted moves such as ready stance position (Chun Bi- TKD or Hachijidachi- Karate). It seems no one knows what the ready stance was for. I will give you an insight. First the word hachijidachi means figure eight stance, hence the word hachi means eight and dachi means stance. when the figure eight is turned sideways it represents infinity (as in energy is infinite). Energy translates to ki or chi power. However the true Bunkai for the ready stance is a double strike to the pubic region which will cause great pain and immobility as this will cause the attacker to drop to the ground. This applies to both male and female. while a strike to the inguinal points on both sites will impair a male for a while, a higher strike on a female is where the ovaries are located; such a strike to the ovaries on a female is just as effective as a slight tap to a males testicles. The Chinese apply sword hand (spear hand strike) to the above referenced locations with conditioned fingertips. I hope this will give you an insight on the Bunkai on the ready stance position.

Latest Discussions