Maharlika Kuntaw

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
I guess Bill isn't in the mood to share his concepts

More like Bill has a hard time seperating what he learned and what he stole.%-}
I be a martial arts PIRATE don't ya know. ARGGHHH

Which is fitting considering the arts I'm drawn too and their history.

I guess the favorite stuff for me is the wave, topple, collapse and center of the wheel so I'll cover them.

The wave - In Kuntaw one concept we use is called "the wave" You create a void for the attacker to fill and surge into that void with your attack. It should feel like you are a wave pulling out to sea then crashing into the shore. It is a deception concept and a power generating concept.

Topple - In Kuntaw allot of movements create a situation where the attackers balance is taken, when the force is applied to them high it causes them to topple. It should feel like they have a pivot in the middle of their body and you apply force to the top causing the bottom to swing up.

Collapse - Another balance disruption concept. Like a building being demolished the attacker has his structure broken then overloaded by the upper floors causing him to collapse nearly straight down. It can be started with a head manipulation then your force is applied downward to overload the compromised structure. The damage is similar to building that fell on to itself, the lower levels are crushed by the upper levels. You should be very careful with the collapse in training you can hurt a training partner easily using this concept to vigorously.

Center of the wheel - This is a pretty common concept in many arts. In Kuntaw we seek to move into the attack and redirect it while turning like the hub of a wheel. It is very good for strong circular attacks.

Like I said these are some of my favorites.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Bill that is a cool post! Thanks for sharing.
icon14.gif

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are more concepts and theories. As we go along they will be explained or shown by video

Concept
1. Cross center
2. Pull to center
3. Roll to center
4. Crash
5. Center of wheel
6. Wave or Bamboo

Negative force
force counter force
Pendulum
Sky hook
Firecracker
Magellan
Cutting
Springboard
Octopus
Just to name a few

darkavenger

White Belt
Reaction score
Funny that you guys should mention the video, I was actually working on that exact project this afternoon.

I don't have any conceptual clips on the website quite yet - soon though, I do however have newly added content that covers some basic drills and lock flows.

Check it out: http://defensecraft.com/media.html

Angles, Hubud Variations, Decadena, Wrist Lock Flow, and Arm Lock Flow are the newest vids.

I'll be adding online content as I work through all the material that will ultimately end up on the DVD set.

Enjoy.

-Matt

PS - Hey Buzz ... what the heck is the Octopus concept ? I shudder to ask :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Matt,

Nice new clips up on the site!
icon14.gif

By the way I am sure that Buzz will demonstrate the
Octopus on you next time you are at training!
icon10.gif

(let's hope it is not too painful :rofl:)

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Matt,

Nice new clips up on the site!
icon14.gif

By the way I am sure that Buzz will demonstrate the
Octopus on you next time you are at training!
icon10.gif

(let's hope it is not too painful :rofl:)

The octopus is a special stick or staff technique that uses the weapon as an anvil. It also can be done with an appendage such as a wrist or a shin, but that is another story.

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here are some of the concepts of Kuntaw at white belt/beginner level

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bugtongan means to puzzle or trick- it also stands for a Filipino game of riddles.
Kaliluhan means treachery as in to decieve or to misrepresent.

Both of these ideas are incorporated into the Filipino arts in many ways. An arcos before you hit with a stick is decieving or distractionary. A lead hand feint is also within the guise of Kaliluhan. Stepping on your opponet's foot as you enter is a form of trickery or treachery as it is out of the normal boundaries of what a fight should be. If you can confuse, distract, or hide an attack you are using the concepts of bugtongan/kaliluhan.

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been getting attacked on youtube by several individuals from the "New Kuntaw " camp. This is in rebuttal as to- "you never got a black belt in Kuntaw, You have never been authorized to teach the art. And the one that really got me- "you art teaching "BUZZTAW" not Kuntaw

http://kuntawguro.blogspot.com/2008/01/in-rebuttal.html

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/kuntawguro/canadapermit1.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/kuntawguro/lanada_letter_1.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/kuntawguro/DSC00094.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/kuntawguro/DSC00072.jpg

and the best one of all
http://kuntaw.net/blog/?p=53

this is the updated list of Black Belts by GM Lanada himself
look under Smith- I guess I have been promoted to 6th degree ( even tho I have never trained with or recieved a black belt by GM before)

Decide for yourself

I have done my best to promote and propagate the art that captured my heart 38 years ago.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Buzz,

It is to bad that some people cannot just understand that their was a split. No hard feelings and we all move on.
icon9.gif

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are trying to retrieve that cached page, you still need to be urgent about it. The WayBackMachine carries no guarantees.

I casually attempted to use it to find the page in question and had no success.

Google had the page cached and gave a snapshot but I do not know how to retrieve it.

Good luck and please consider obtaining a personal copy of the page before rendering them as proof (web content can be very transient).

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
just google way back machine and then type in their page buzz. it will have dates, etc. and you can start looking and copy/save the page as proof.

Wait I just tried and did not find anything. However it is out there some where.
icon6.gif

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
just google way back machine and then type in their page buzz. it will have dates, etc. and you can start looking and copy/save the page as proof.

Wait I just tried and did not find anything. However it is out there some where.
icon6.gif
Yeah, I had spent some time trying to find the info before I posted. Unfortunately the waybackmachine is not 100% reliable.

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's ok , I found it and printed it. I now have hard copies.
Also I have it on hard drive. So there can be no deny a bil ity

Latest Discussions