Maharlika Kuntaw

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are so many different versions of Filipino martial arts, some stick based, some empty hands based and even some that are considered full spectrum. Maharlika Kuntaw has been chided as a Karate like art and even called offensive to the Filipino culture because of the use of "Maharlika" as it's main description. I'd like the chance to defend and explain the art to those who are interested.
Guro "Buzz" Smith

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are so many different versions of Filipino martial arts, some stick based, some empty hands based and even some that are considered full spectrum. Maharlika Kuntaw has been chided as a Karate like art and even called offensive to the Filipino culture because of the use of "Maharlika" as it's main description. I'd like the chance to defend and explain the art to those who are interested.
Guro "Buzz" Smith
Hi Guro Smith,

Thanks for your post!

Please consider sharing about your art more so than having to defend it. MT is a portal to "Friendly Discussion" regarding the martial arts.

Best regards,

Palusut
MT Senior Moderator

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, it is a force of habit. I have had to endure Filipinos attacking my sincerity, lineage, and authorization to use the Maharlika handle so much , it has become a habit to start on the defensive.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Buzz! Hope to see you at Chuck's next Gathering.

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I am going to try and make this gathering a tradition. I have always had fun and made new friends there. Too bad not many other people have the opportunity to attend it. Some mighty strange things have happened the past 2 gatherings.
Ask Mushdaq or Carl he he

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Buzz,

So that everyone knows Buzz or Brian Smith is a long, long time Filipino martial artist located up in Traverse City, Michigan. He runs one of the finest Filipino martial arts schools in our state and is an exceptional martial artist who has produced some very fine practitioners. Some of these are on this board, ie. Matt Lamphere and Bill Bednarick.

Buzz why don't you give us a short breakdown on your version of Maharlika Kuntaw. We have many FMA's practitioners that would love to
hear about your art and your experience.

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, here goes- I started my martial arts training as a dummy for a soldier home on leave during the Viet Nam war. He practiced on the beach just down the road from my house. After being thrown and kicked and introduced to the sand for weeks, I was hooked. I started training in Tae Kwon Do while in the military and upon arriving in the Philippines as my overseas port I went looking for another Tae Kwon Do school. I found none. So , I started training in Kyo Kushin Kai on the base. Not to long afterwards I was exposed to the Filipino arts- this was early 1970. I started training in Maharlika Kuntaw under GM Carlito Lanada. For the next 3 1/2 years I trained whenever I could being distracted by my military duty of taking care of the seventh fleet, supplies, repairs, and maint on equipment.

I earned my black belt in Kuntaw in 1973 and not to long after that I was discharged from the military and headed home to Gaylord Michigan. When I got home i went looking for the Filipino arts- i found none. I used to work out in my side yard drawing the attention of all the neighborhood kids. Soon i was teaching at the local community center , then at the High School as scheduled adult class. In 1977 I organized the AMKA ( American Maharlika Kuntaw Association) I opened the AMKA school and started to compete in local tournaments. I made contact with GM Remy Presas and was invited many times to tour with him and give seminars and demonstrations throughout the East and Midwest. Unfortunately- i was married and could not just up and run to Philadelphia or Columbus.

Now, I know this strikes revulsion in many FMA practitioners but, I was trying to get the art recognized in an area that had never heard of Filipino Martial arts. This is where i was getting my students and my exposure. I'd kick butt, take names, and get newspaper exposure. In 1980 I went thru a divorce and put both of my feet firmly into competition. By chance, I met Andy Johnson, a TKD black belt from Traverse City. He invited me to come to Traverse City and share the art. This led to Kuntaw being accepted as a physical education credit course in 1982 at Northwestern Michigan College. From what i was led to believe- this is the first FMA recognized as a credit course in the US. I continued my search for Filipino arts and went out to California. I trained with GM Sam Tendencia, Guro Dan Inosanto , and Guro Rene Latosa as well as Mike Replogle of Modern Arnis. I was finally able to re establish ties with GM Lanada and was appointed US Director and Canadian of KUNTAW ng Pilipinas.

I was invited to share the art in Japan at the 25th anniversary of the Seibukan Dojo in Nobeoka. I toured Japan with the JKA teams from Italy, Germany, Canada and the US. (the only non Karate person on the team) We put on demos and appeared in the Japanese media both in print and on TV. We were given medals for promoting the way of BUDO on japanese TV.

I have been very active in the Martial arts scene in Ontario and in Michigan. I was a number one rated competitor for 5 years straight taking the Grand Master title of the Can Am circuit for those 5 years. That means I was the top competitor in forms , weapons, and fighting.
Now , remember, there are no Filipino tourneys or schools yet in Michigan , besides a modern Arnis school in Flint 3 1/2 hours away.

Apperently in 1975 the art of Maharlika Kuntaw went thru some drastic changes turning it into a more Karate like style. I subscribe to the tenants and ideology of the pre'75 art. It is very similar to that of Uncle Bill's. The noted differences is the fact that kicks were pushed- that is- try to kick the ceiling, the floor then becomes very easy. So there is more of a hard soft version of Kuntao- I was originally taught that Kuntaw was a Filipino hybred of Kuntao, now it seems they push the Filipino only aspect- even tho it is taught as tho it is TKD. It is no longer dance like or fluid. I think that is because it is easier to teach people the hard styles. I ,for one, hate to see a system changed to better make money or to become commercialized. So, I have kept the things that first attracted me to the art. In doing so I am the proverbial black sheep of the system. I cannot go any higher in rank (as if that really mattered) and was once told to refrain from using the Kuntaw moniker. This is strange to me as newspaper articles and photos of me adorned GM Lanada's office. He once told me and my students that I was the number 1 practitioner of the art in the US. I was even awarded the US and Canadian Directorship positions, and awarded a 5 th degree Black Belt. The reason given for the change in the art was to better compete in the Asian Games (karate tournament functions in SE Asia). Seems to me, I have done quite well using the OLD system (983 trophies and awards from the Michigan and Can Am Karate circuits). What is the adadge?- to thine own self be true.

The idea of tournament competition has brought me many students and has given tons of exposure to the Filipino arts in my area. By seeing my students and i compete , we have been asked for many seminars. We are not allowed to do our art at competitons being restricted to punching and kicking only.
We adapt- It's like going to a target range and being given a 9mm and all you bring is .38 ammo, but, we do quite welll hitting them with the gun.

We score the highest in forms , weapons , weapons sparring,and self defence. We do poorly on the fighting divisions as we are trained to grapple, trap, and sweep our opponents. Gets us disqualified a lot. I have attended many seminars with Guro Dan and other Filipino Martial artists. At one point GM Leo Gaje and Erwin Ballarta stayed with me and put on several seminars for my group.

I feel that I have fulfilled my charge by GM Lanada to propagate and promote the art of Kuntaw. At this stage of tthe game I am no longer affiliated with the International Kuntaw Federation because I have chosen not to promote the karate like aspects that are being pushed by the Kuntaw ng Pilipinas organization. I have been disowned and been called man outlaw. Hmm, sounds strange that I am not a true Kuntawista when Iam the one who is promoting a Filipino based rather than Karate based art.

Those who know me, know what I stand for. Those who have trained with me- know of my ability. Those who don't know me , need only ask for references or do a search on the internet. I am getting up there in years , but still jump in with both feet when it comes to training and passing the art. At 55 I was still competing against 22 year olds and beating them in competition at their own game.

Need more? Ask---------

darkavenger

White Belt
Reaction score
Buzz is a first rate instructor and an excellent martial artist. I've been pretty lucky to train under him as long as I have (and still do) his instruction and encouragement to absorb, adapt and improvise valid concepts has been invaluable.

What I like most about the art is the accepting nature that allows a practitioner to develop as an individual artist. Some folks like to focus on the sport competition aspects while others of us tend to lean more toward the tactical. The solid foundation that you recieve as a practitioner allows you to develop personalized skills and discern your own path.

The system is an open fusion of many different disciplines: Kali, Arnis, Sikaran, Pentjak Silat, Shaolin Ssu Kempo, ... among others. This combination provides a well rounded approach to the different ranges and methods of engagement.

It blends real nice with a lot of the Natural Spirit International material that I am working with currently under Datu Worden.

If anyone is interested in more content please check the Defense Craft website frequently for more video examples of this blend of Kuntaw. www.defensecraft.com

We add content as often as we can (when we're not working on other video projects)

-Matt

Train hard ... and often.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good stuff, Guro Smith!

I'm just curious, do you ever work your way over towards New England or are you primarily working out of Michigan? :)

DanJuanDeSiga

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, it is a force of habit. I have had to endure Filipinos attacking my sincerity, lineage, and authorization to use the Maharlika handle so much , it has become a habit to start on the defensive.

Screw them! This Flip is here to back you up. I dig what you got going for the martial arts. Most of my own fellow countrymen don't even know baston, olisi, or yantok even if it came out of their asses all because they'll get made fun of by other fellow Flips for practicing what they call a "savage" fighting art(FMA).

Outside of the PI, the FMAs get more respect and appreciation. So anyone of those suckers from back home[ and I do mean those that don't even practice FMA like Gaje, or the late greats... Sulite, Mang Ben Lema, GM Illustrisimo -etc.] don't even know what they're talking about most of the time all because a non-Filipino is teaching their native art that they won't even look twice at.

DanJuanDeSiga

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Before any of you take it out of context, I'm going to correct this.

Outside of the PI, the FMAs get more respect and appreciation. So anyone of those suckers from back home

[ and I do mean those that don't even practice FMA like Gaje, or the late greats... Sulite, Mang Ben Lema, GM Illustrisimo -etc.]

don't even know what they're talking about most of the time all because a non-Filipino is teaching their native art that they won't even look twice at.

the CORRECTION: [ and I do mean those back in the PI that don't even appreciate their own native skills, and so few are wise to practice FMA like Gaje, or the late greats... Sulite, Mang Ben Lema, GM Illustrisimo -etc.]

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to have you on MT Buzz. I only really dabble in the FMA, but am looking forward to learing more about your art.

Jeff

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I go where evr I am asked to go. I have tried a couple of times to set up a seminar in PA and NH, but the promoters never followed thru. I would love to share the art there.

Good stuff, Guro Smith!

I'm just curious, do you ever work your way over towards New England or are you primarily working out of Michigan? :)

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Buzz is a first rate instructor and an excellent martial artist. I've been pretty lucky to train under him as long as I have (and still do) his instruction and encouragement to absorb, adapt and improvise valid concepts has been invaluable.

What I like most about the art is the accepting nature that allows a practitioner to develop as an individual artist. Some folks like to focus on the sport competition aspects while others of us tend to lean more toward the tactical. The solid foundation that you recieve as a practitioner allows you to develop personalized skills and discern your own path.

The system is an open fusion of many different disciplines: Kali, Arnis, Sikaran, Pentjak Silat, Shaolin Ssu Kempo, ... among others. This combination provides a well rounded approach to the different ranges and methods of engagement.

It blends real nice with a lot of the Natural Spirit International material that I am working with currently under Datu Worden.

If anyone is interested in more content please check the Defense Craft website frequently for more video examples of this blend of Kuntaw. www.defensecraft.com

We add content as often as we can (when we're not working on other video projects)

-Matt

Face it Matt- you are an FMA junkie- glad I was your first pusher.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

-Matt

Hey Matt,

Glad you stopped by. Maybe you could go to the meet and greet forum and introduce yourself. Matt trains under Buzz and also under Datu Kelly Worden and is a fantastic practitioner of the arts himself.
icon14.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before any of you take it out of context, I'm going to correct this.

the CORRECTION: [ and I do mean those back in the PI that don't even appreciate their own native skills, and so few are wise to practice FMA like Gaje, or the late greats... Sulite, Mang Ben Lema, GM Illustrisimo -etc.]

Hey Daniel thanks for the correction but I think we got the gist of what you were saying. Thanks again.
icon14.gif

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Screw them! This Flip is here to back you up. I dig what you got going for the martial arts. Most of my own fellow countrymen don't even know baston, olisi, or yantok even if it came out of their asses all because they'll get made fun of by other fellow Flips for practicing what they call a "savage" fighting art(FMA).

Outside of the PI, the FMAs get more respect and appreciation. So anyone of those suckers from back home[ and I do mean those that don't even practice FMA like Gaje, or the late greats... Sulite, Mang Ben Lema, GM Illustrisimo -etc.] don't even know what they're talking about most of the time all because a non-Filipino is teaching their native art that they won't even look twice at.

Salamat Po Dan, I have always wondered why Filipinos generally seek out foreign arts rather than embracing their own. I am glad I was introduced to this and other FMA over the years and I too am an FMA junkie. I am hooked.

Thanks for watching my back - he he
(walk softly and carry a bag full of yantok)

DanJuanDeSiga

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am all about getting the FMAs under the spotlight and there needs to be more people like you around Buzz.

OP
kuntawguro

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a good group of guys who are like sponges. They are encouraged to go looking and create/alter/ diversify- that's how it gets good.

Latest Discussions