Machida knocks out Evans - UFC 98 Results

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
05-23-2009 10:33 PM: Lyoto Machida did what no one elsehas done before defeating Rashad Evans via TKO in the second round ofthe Light-heavyweight championship bout. In other action Matt Hughesdefeated Matt Serra, Franki Edgar defeated Sean Sherk, and more at UFC 98.

More...
MMA Ring Report
The hardest hitting news from the hardest hitting sport.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it was a great fight Mr Evans looked way out of place with him and I am glad Machida won.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Terry I am not happy that Rashad Evans my Spartan brother lost! However, Machida definitely was the better man that night!

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
and all us shotokan guys stand up and say......

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!

Seriously, I am thrilled to see my system represented so well in the mma world. Between Machida and St.Pierre(kyokushin) I hope that karate's reputation as a fighting art improves a bit. Now if these two can serve as an inspiration to get more people to train karate, and I mean really train as in with contact, heavy conditioning, and with aliveness, then perhaps we can shake off this "karate sucks" rep that we've picked up through the years.

Much respect to Lyoto Machida, Light Heavyweight Chamion of the World.

Mark

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The world of MMA has changed again, overnight.

Now, karate will be the hot "new" martial art;). I expect to see shotokan dojos popping up in strip malls everywhere this summer.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm surprised that it lasted only two rounds. Both of these guys are calculating, deliberate fighters, and I had expected to see a decision instead.

Still, good to see that Karate is doing quite well in the ring. I just hope that people don't start joining the Karate schools, though, in hopes that they can become as good as Machida overnight...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm surprised that it lasted only two rounds. Both of these guys are calculating, deliberate fighters, and I had expected to see a decision instead.

Still, good to see that Karate is doing quite well in the ring. I just hope that people don't start joining the Karate schools, though, in hopes that they can become as good as Machida overnight...

Maybe they can if they really train and be dedicated.;

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nice.

Clark, I have a question for you since you follow mma fervently. What do you or did you think if Genki Sudo when he used to fight? I recently came across some of his videos on youtube and thought he was very good.

dnovice

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I missed the fight last night, but I was out at the club and saw an awesome drunk fight!

But anyways, I'm glad Lyoto won both as a fan and a fellow karateka. My only concern now is that karate may become a fad again and the quality of instruction/instructors will go down even more. at this point it's hard to find a Sensei who's good but now I'm pretty sure there will be a glut of mediocer on the market and in the strip malls.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
and all us shotokan guys stand up and say......

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!

Seriously, I am thrilled to see my system represented so well in the mma world. Between Machida and St.Pierre(kyokushin) I hope that karate's reputation as a fighting art improves a bit. Now if these two can serve as an inspiration to get more people to train karate, and I mean really train as in with contact, heavy conditioning, and with aliveness, then perhaps we can shake off this "karate sucks" rep that we've picked up through the years.

Much respect to Lyoto Machida, Light Heavyweight Chamion of the World.

Mark

Agreed. While I don't study Karate (well, I study "kenpo" Karate among other things) I hope what this does is remind people that there is great value in many "traditional" martial arts. For a while all you heard from MMA fighters/fans was "oh you do____ that sucks, that's why you don't see it in the cage!"

Chuck with his Kempo/Kaju background, GSP, Machida and others are doing a great job of showing that Muay Thai/Bjj/wrestling isn't the sole formula for success.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I may just scream here..... you do see karate and always have done in the cage, all this fuss about a 'karate' guy! Karate is one of the disciplines used in MMA, just because non martial arts people think karate is all 'chops' and flyiong kicks they don't know karate when they see it in use.I know many karate people who fight MMA in the cage/ring.
Mixed martial arts is just that...mixed! You won't see a proponant of just one style in the cage anymore and thank goodness for that.

What you will see is fighters who have a core background in a traditional art and they will train other styles to become all round fighters able to fight stand up and on the floor.This, ladies and gentlemen is mixed martial arts!

Genki Sudo was a vey good fighter, he fought a friend of mine in the first UFC in London. Sadly Geni Sudo has never been the same since he was stabbed .

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I may just scream here..... you do see karate and always have done in the cage, all this fuss about a 'karate' guy! Karate is one of the disciplines used in MMA, just because non martial arts people think karate is all 'chops' and flyiong kicks they don't know karate when they see it in use.I know many karate people who fight MMA in the cage/ring.
Mixed martial arts is just that...mixed! You won't see a proponant of just one style in the cage anymore and thank goodness for that.

What you will see is fighters who have a core background in a traditional art and they will train other styles to become all round fighters able to fight stand up and on the floor.This, ladies and gentlemen is mixed martial arts!.

Sure Machida isn't the first to use traditional martial arts in the cage, but he is arguably one of few to use it as a primary art. That is obvious by his stance alone, let alone his striking methodology. It is visually obvious that he has a very different approach.

Also, while I haven't lived in the UK in nearly 8 years, here in the US you can pop into most MMA gyms and you will find a Muay Thai coach, a bjj or submission wrestling coach. You don't find MMA gyms advertising Shotokan as the basis of their striking. When meeting most MMA guys for the first time, the "that's ****" mentality is obvious when you tell them you studied Karate, Taekwondo etc. Spend some time watching traditional martial arts vids on youtube. Post after post you will read "this crap doesn't work, you don't see it in the UFC."

While it may be ignorant, unskilled fans (the majority of pay-per-veiwers fit that description) saying that type of thing... that is who Machida and the likes are affecting.

Beyond his physical skill, and his movements and mechanics being very "Karate" and not very "boxing" like, he also embodies martial spirit. His father/trainer/coach is more Mr. Miyagi than the typical tatted, mohawk thug type the TUF show has popularized. I think that resonates with many.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Micheal Bispings gym, Wolfslair offers TKD classes. Neal Grove is karate and everyone knows that but no one says 'oh thats rubbish.'
Once again the difference between what is perceived as MMA in the States is at odds with how the rest of the world does it lol! Try telling the Japanese MMA fighters that traditional doesn't work.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Micheal Bispings gym, Wolfslair offers TKD classes. Neal Grove is karate and everyone knows that but no one says 'oh thats rubbish.'
Once again the difference between what is perceived as MMA in the States is at odds with how the rest of the world does it lol! Try telling the Japanese MMA fighters that traditional doesn't work.

Well, I have no doubt about that. I love America and much about our culture, I am a proud American, but a lot of our MMA fans are idiots. as stated in my last post, Machida is bringing to the lime light what may have always been there, unbeknown to the masses. I appreciate him for that.

Bisping's Gym may offer TKD, but watching him, and most others fight, he still looks/moves far more like a kickboxer/boxer than a karate or TKD guy. His stance is that of a boxer. Machida obviously does not.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I have no doubt about that. I love America and much about our culture, I am a proud American, but a lot of our MMA fans are idiots. as stated in my last post, Machida is bringing to the lime light what may have always been there, unbeknown to the masses. I appreciate him for that.

Bisping's Gym may offer TKD, but watching him, and most others fight, he still looks/moves far more like a kickboxer/boxer than a karate or TKD guy. His stance is that of a boxer. Machida obviously does not.

Bispings first style was actually traditional jujutsu then he went on to karate and kickboxing. he had his pro debut on our show in Newcastle and if you'd seen him then he was far more 'karate' than boxing.
Neal Grove is Goju Ryu and holds rank of Shodan for which he had to complete the 30 man kumite, he still practises karate.

This is one of my favourite fighters at the moment, comes from London Shootfighters

Last edited by a moderator:

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
he had his pro debut on our show in Newcastle and if you'd seen him then he was far more 'karate' than boxing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiV2CU5Gb6Y

Which illustrates why people are discussing Machida as a "Karate guy" even though it makes you want to scream:
Machida STILL IS a Karate guy. No one is saying "if you saw him then, he was more karate than boxing." Yet he is dominant.

I think Marios is great.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doesn't make it less fun to laugh at the sure dawg types who insist that MMA = MT+BJJ+Greco tho. With their creedo "It's the art and the man!"

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Genki Sudo was a vey good fighter, he fought a friend of mine in the first UFC in London. Sadly Geni Sudo has never been the same since he was stabbed .

He was stabbed? I know he retired. I wasn't aware that he got stabbed.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't make it less fun to laugh at the sure dawg types who insist that MMA = MT+BJJ+Greco tho. With their creedo "It's the art and the man!"

Bingo!

Hearing the refrain of "If you don't train MT or BJJ, or Greco, or Box, the you don't know anything about fighting" gets old pretty fast. Watching a fighter with a background that has shotokan as his primary art, which remains so inspite of being supplimented with jujutsu, take the LtHeavyweight title by knockout over a more "traditionaly" trained MMA fighter made me very happy.

Man, it annoys the crap out of me every time Joe Rogan calls Machida's style "unorthodox".

Mark

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bingo!

Hearing the refrain of "If you don't train MT or BJJ, or Greco, or Box, the you don't know anything about fighting" gets old pretty fast. Watching a fighter with a background that has shotokan as his primary art, which remains so inspite of being supplimented with jujutsu, take the LtHeavyweight title by knockout over a more "traditionaly" trained MMA fighter made me very happy.

Man, it annoys the crap out of me every time Joe Rogan calls Machida's style "unorthodox".

Mark

Exactly!

Latest Discussions