MA vs MA

TheWellWisher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know this may sound really Noobish, but whatever happened to this and what do people think of it? I do think MMA is very skilled and demanding. But I'd much rather watch two completely different styles against each other, what you guys reckon?

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
my style is the best so there for i challenge you ! reminded me of a song were the WU TANG CLAN use that on the intro of a song , just throw on one the old ufc dvd´s :ultracool

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this may sound really Noobish, but whatever happened to this and what do people think of it? I do think MMA is very skilled and demanding. But I'd much rather watch two completely different styles against each other, what you guys reckon?

Ooooo.... if you start an MMA v TMA war I'll detour to Pompey on my way down to West Country next week and smack you......on second thought's you might like that lol! :)
UFC did start with style against style and evolved into what you see now. I think there was a lot of unfairness in the original concept, not the style v style bit so much as the weight categories, I read a book about the beginings of UFC, damned if I can remember what it was called but it alleged a lot of 'fixing' going on so perhaps the results aren't to be trusted.
it would be interesting to see style v style but in fair competition I think, a huge Sumo wrestler is going to squash a 7st stone boxer for example. If someone can can some fairness into it it might be cool to watch. Something like Dog Brothers perhaps?

OP
TheWellWisher

TheWellWisher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ooooo.... if you start an MMA v TMA war I'll detour to Pompey on my way down to West Country next week and smack you......on second thought's you might like that lol! :)
UFC did start with style against style and evolved into what you see now. I think there was a lot of unfairness in the original concept, not the style v style bit so much as the weight categories, I read a book about the beginings of UFC, damned if I can remember what it was called but it alleged a lot of 'fixing' going on so perhaps the results aren't to be trusted.
it would be interesting to see style v style but in fair competition I think, a huge Sumo wrestler is going to squash a 7st stone boxer for example. If someone can can some fairness into it it might be cool to watch. Something like Dog Brothers perhaps?

Just watched a video about old school UFC. And funny what you said about Sumo Wrestlers having a size advantage, skip to 3:08 and watch this guy get anihilated lol
. And I'll be waiting for you ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was interesting in the early UFC days, to see the various styles compete. Now, todays fighters all pretty much do the same thing. However, I think its pretty safe to say that its not so much the style anymore, but the person. I mean think about it...you've had a UFC match, where fighter A beats fighter B. A UFC or two later, the same two fighters have a rematch, only this time, B beats A. Does this mean that A sucks? Does B suck? No, its a bad day, thats it. It just wasnt in the cards for the loser that particular day.

OP
TheWellWisher

TheWellWisher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It was interesting in the early UFC days, to see the various styles compete. Now, todays fighters all pretty much do the same thing. However, I think its pretty safe to say that its not so much the style anymore, but the person. I mean think about it...you've had a UFC match, where fighter A beats fighter B. A UFC or two later, the same two fighters have a rematch, only this time, B beats A. Does this mean that A sucks? Does B suck? No, its a bad day, thats it. It just wasnt in the cards for the loser that particular day.

Yeah I know what you mean. Then again everyone these days thinks its about how hard you punch or how big you are etc. And although power helps, something as little is going into a wide stance for a split second can get you down. He sees your stance, low kicks you, your down, he gets on top of you and he punches you till your out the game. Simply due to carelessness. I'm sure you saw Kimbo Slice get beaten in under 10 seconds? LOL

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not entirely sure that you're allowed to use phrases like "Back in the day" when you're only seventeen :D.

As to style versus style, it has ever been and always will be down to the person as long as the playing field is anything like level. Given that my style involves the use of a sword I like to think that gives me a bit of an edge, if you get the point :D {Yeah, martial arts pun attack for the first time in a long time :lol:}.

Personally, I think the best spectacle would come from people of the same style and level of training engaged against each other with rules in place to prevent things ending prematurely.

On the whole tho, the entire notion of such a thing meaning anything truly definitive is problematic. Boxing is now a sport, MMA is a modern incarntion of martial arts as a sport. If it was tried to put anything martial on as anything but a sport what you'd end up with is dead people and some very unexciting footage for the short time it lasted.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Fine in theory but in practice it becomes one big melting pot. The 'Judo Guy' starts off against 'The Boxer'. He gets hit a couple of times then gets in close and gets a choke and a submission. 'Judo Guy' goes away and says that was good but I would be better if I knew how to punch. 'The Boxer' looks back and says, I nailed him with a couple of good hits then he grabbed me and wouldn't let go. Next time I'll use my knees and elbows more. So 'Judo Guy' gets in the ring with 'TKD'. Next minute, BANG, big kick lands on the side of the head. Lights out. But, says Judo Guy' next time I'll get a kick in first. 'The Boxer' comes up against 'Mr JuJutsu'. He gets in a couple of good hits then 'Mr JJ' takes him to the ground and the knees aren't doing much. A couple of punches and a smack with the elbow then 'Mr JJ' gets an arm bar. End of section!
So for the next tournament we have 'Judo Guy' training with the 'Karate Man', 'Karate Man' training with 'Mr JJ', 'Mr JJ' training with 'TKD', 'TKD' training with 'Aikidoka', Aikidoka training with 'Tai Boxer', etc, etc, etc. We started out with all the different 'flavours', then started mixing in other bits and pieces. In the end it all tastes the same.
This is not a problem, it has a big plus. All MAs have their weaknesses and all have their strengths. By taking the best from other styles and adding it to our own we can strengthen our own style. But in terms of MA vs MA it becomes 'let the best man win'!

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A few months ago I watched some crazy old school MMA fight from Russia.

It was a 190 pound fighter in reasonable shape against this 6ft.10', 300 pound guy. There were NO rounds and NO decisions. They fought until someone gave up, usually out of exhaustion. It was really, really odd.

Oh, the smaller guy won out of simple endurance, but he sure had a tough time doing any damage in the process......

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just watched a video about old school UFC. And funny what you said about Sumo Wrestlers having a size advantage, skip to 3:08 and watch this guy get anihilated lol
. And I'll be waiting for you ;)

Wow, interesting video!

Last edited by a moderator:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean. Then again everyone these days thinks its about how hard you punch or how big you are etc. And although power helps, something as little is going into a wide stance for a split second can get you down. He sees your stance, low kicks you, your down, he gets on top of you and he punches you till your out the game. Simply due to carelessness. I'm sure you saw Kimbo Slice get beaten in under 10 seconds? LOL

Thus another difference in the old UFC compared to the present. Sure, we had those epic fights, that went on for 30min, but what we did see was technical skill on Royces' part. No, I'm not saying that we should roll for that long, and I'm not saying that the fighters of today are not skilled, but anyone whos been a long time UFC fan, should be able to see the differences that I'm talking about. :)

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've been following the UFC from the get go. And I'd say that today's fighters are every bit as skilled as those of yesteryear.

I think what we see is the natural consequence of time. We started off with a bunch of people (the Gracies included) who felt that their chosen training method (let's set the word "style" aside for a minute) was the way to succeed.

Experience and repeated experimentation has shown that what they were doing back then was insufficient to take on all comers. And what you've gotten since is (well founded) attempt to identify the common denominators to success in that venue and distill them into a smaller set of training methodologies.

Emphasis on "that venue," before people start saying that UFC isn't reality.

Style versus style failed to take into account the most fundamental fact there is in my view. Styles don't fight. People fight. And if a person wants to preserve himself, whether it be his physical well being or his fight record, he's not going to stay wed to a training methodology for the sake of it. He's going to see what seems to be working and adopt it.

UFC isn't really the ultimate anything. But it is a verifiable and repeatable experiment.

Stuart

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to add that it is the Ultimate Fighter Championships, not the Ultimate Style Championships.

I think today's fighters are the logical progression in what started as style vs style.

Latest Discussions