Looking for ITF TKD ebook.

evelbug

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good ebook that I can put on my kindle for ITF forms? I'm going to be away from home for a few months next year, and would like to avoid taking physical books if possible.

Thanks,
Rik

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's weird. If you let me know what the errors are I'll try to fix them.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are sites that have a PDF of the encyclopedia that can be accessed / downloaded.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's weird. If you let me know what the errors are I'll try to fix them.

In the list of color belt patterns Four Direction Thrust is listed as being learned at 10th gup, along with Four Direction Punch and Four Direction Block. It is learned at 2nd gup (which is actually what the text in the preceding paragraph says).

In the list of black belt patterns Tong-Il is listed as being learned at 5th dan. It is actually learned at 6th dan.

Also, technically Saju Jirugi, Saju Makki, and Saju Tulgi are not patterns. They are fundamental exercises. You may want to consider removing them from the patterns lists altogether and grouping them under a new heading of Fundamental Exercises.

You have Ko-Dang described as a "deprecated" pattern. Deprecated means that something is "disapproved of," but carries a negative connotation. IMNSHO, it would be better to omit that term altogether and simply say it was replaced by Juche.

Pax,

Chris

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I see what the problem was with you editing those. Because that list gets re-used on several pages, it's implemented as a wiki Template. A template is a paragraph of text that you can insert using just a single command, so that you can re-use the paragraph in multiple pages. The idea is that if you ever want to make a change, you can just change it once, and the change will propagate everywhere.

For future reference, if you'd ever like to do a direct edit, the template for the gup forms is Template ITF Gup Forms - Taekwondo Wiki

The other "bad" thing about using Templates is that when you do edit them, you have to edit them in Wiki Markup "source" mode...you don't get to use the WYSIWYG editor. I've made those changes though in the gup list...take a look at let me know if that scratches the itch.

The Template for the list of ITF Black Belt forms is here: Template ITF BlackBelt Forms - Taekwondo Wiki

I set Tong-Il to 6th Dan, as it should be. And you're right...deprecated isn't really the right word I'm looking for there. (In computer science, when something is deprecated, that doesn't mean it's disapproved of...it just means it's been replaced with something newer. I was using the word in that sense, but you're right...your definition is the more common definition.) I wish I could find a good word that means "replaced with something newer" but I'm drawing a blank. So I just said it's "older" and "replaced with Juche".

Oldbear343

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I see what the problem was with you editing those. Because that list gets re-used on several pages, it's implemented as a wiki Template. A template is a paragraph of text that you can insert using just a single command, so that you can re-use the paragraph in multiple pages. The idea is that if you ever want to make a change, you can just change it once, and the change will propagate everywhere.

For future reference, if you'd ever like to do a direct edit, the template for the gup forms is Template ITF Gup Forms - Taekwondo Wiki

The other "bad" thing about using Templates is that when you do edit them, you have to edit them in Wiki Markup "source" mode...you don't get to use the WYSIWYG editor. I've made those changes though in the gup list...take a look at let me know if that scratches the itch.

The Template for the list of ITF Black Belt forms is here: Template ITF BlackBelt Forms - Taekwondo Wiki

I set Tong-Il to 6th Dan, as it should be. And you're right...deprecated isn't really the right word I'm looking for there. (In computer science, when something is deprecated, that doesn't mean it's disapproved of...it just means it's been replaced with something newer. I was using the word in that sense, but you're right...your definition is the more common definition.) I wish I could find a good word that means "replaced with something newer" but I'm drawing a blank. So I just said it's "older" and "replaced with Juche".
Perhaps "superceded"?

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Consider Supplant or Anitquate

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good suggestions! I think I like "superseded by" best ...will add!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are sites with the 15 Volume encyclopedia as PDF which can be downloaded and in fact put on your I Phone. I would thiandroid could do the same.

OP
evelbug

evelbug

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I will look into dowloading the encyclopedia pdf.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can download the encyclopedia from Scribd:

Encyclopedia of Tae Kwon Do Vol. 1

There re sites whre you won't need the scribd program. There is an intellctual property rights issue. However, if you ahve purchased the hard copy and / or CD - DVD ROM version I think fair use allows you a copy for personal use. Use free legal advice at your own risk.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is an intellctual property rights issue....

I've wondered about that. As you say, there are sites that offer the PDF for download for free, is that because...
  • the copyright has expired? (Maybe because the original copyright was in Korea, which may have had shorter copyright terms), or is it...
  • it's unclear who the rights holder is? or...

• the rights holder just doesn't enforce the copyright any more?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
There re sites whre you won't need the scribd program. There is an intellctual property rights issue. However, if you ahve purchased the hard copy and / or CD - DVD ROM version I think fair use allows you a copy for personal use. Use free legal advice at your own risk.
As far as I know it is not against copyright if you limit copying to one chapter or 10 percent of a book. I have some science eBooks that have a section that states you can download or print out the entire book if it is being used for educational purposes. As for the encyclopedia I paid about 85 bucks for a copy of it on CD and DVDs of the patterns.

OP
evelbug

evelbug

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The copyright issue is one of the main reasons I was looking for a good kindle or other ebook I could buy. I have no problem paying for ip, and try to avoid downloading copyright material if I can. I would love to buy a set of Gen Choi's encyclopedia, but 1) it is out of print and hard to come by and 2) I have nowhere in my house to store a full set of hardcover books like that.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are so many websites where the Encyclopedia PDF is freely downloadable, and many of those websites have been around for so many years, that one is inclined to suspect that even if there is a copyright, and a copyright holder, he or she isn't enforcing their his or her copyright anymore.

While we're on the topic of IP...I've often wondered about the ATA poomsae...I've read that the poomsae themselves are copyrighted? It may sound weird to say that you can copyright a poomsae (as opposed to copyrighting a book or a play), but here in the U.S. since 1976 we have been able to copyright "choreographed works" (such as dances), so I assume the ATA poomsae falls into that category. (Here's a reference: LawLawLandBlog.com So You Think You Can Steal My Dance Copyright Protection in Choreography ) That's why on the wiki I mostly just restrict myself to describing the existence of the ATA forms and then providing links to the ATA PDFs for all the detail. I wish I had more insight though into what I can or can't say about the ATA forms without running afoul of their copyrights. For instance I'd try my hand at diagramming some of their forms in Poomsae Designer if I knew I was allowed to get away with it.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
The copyright issue is one of the main reasons I was looking for a good kindle or other ebook I could buy. I have no problem paying for ip, and try to avoid downloading copyright material if I can. I would love to buy a set of Gen Choi's encyclopedia, but 1) it is out of print and hard to come by and 2) I have nowhere in my house to store a full set of hardcover books like that.
I ordered mine online, it's called Legacy CD Rom, it comes with a CD Rom and two DVDs. I can't remember exactly where I got it from but if you do a search online you should find it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

If you can get the CD Rom Set it : 1. Takes up little space conatinsa ll 15 volumes; and 2. It has videos of the patterns dfrom all 4 angles.

Latest Discussions