Is there any Limitation for Height in Olympics or Other international taekwondo events??

Yogesh Baghel

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys..
if anybody is well known to the answer then please tell me that is there any boundations on height for entry in Olympics or International taekwondo Events..

Any answer is heatly thanked....

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No there isn't. Competitors are paired by weight, not by height. If someone can make the weight for the bracket, it doesn't matter what their height is.

OP
Yogesh Baghel

Yogesh Baghel

White Belt
Reaction score
No there isn't. Competitors are paired by weight, not by height. If someone can make the weight for the bracket, it doesn't matter what their height is.
i more thing... is there any criteria that the participant must have this minimum height or so???

SimplyTKD

White Belt
Reaction score
Actually, you have to meet three requirements one is weight, the second one is the "belt" ranking (belt colors for the category/tournament) and the final one is age (for example in black belts you have Junior / Senior / Masters).

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Being tall may help though. ;-)

It's quite disturbing how tall some
of the athletes in the lower weight classes are.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
my height is 167..
that's why i'm asking it..
What's your gender, weight and age? 167 centimetres? That's about 5'5".
Just to give you some perspective, Lee, Dae-Hun, of Korea won the gold medal in the flyweight division at the 2012 Summer Olympics. He is 5'11 or 180 cm, and back then weighed 143 lbs or 64kg. Multiple times World Champ Steven Lopez of the U.S won gold in men's featherweight (68 kg or 149 pound) division at the 2000 Olympics. He is 6'3' or 192 cm). Height plays a very big part of elite WTF sparring competition. It's not everything, though. Speed, tact and stamina are also very crucial. Here are some historica moments when shorter taekwondoin have overcome taller opponents in elite WTF competition. In the 2004 Athens Olympics – Moon Dae Sung, 6'3" (192 cm) of Korea knocked out Alexandros Nikolaidis – 6'7" (201 cm) of Greece with a spinning hook kick to the head in the final of the heavyweight division and won gold. In the 2012 London Olympics, Carlos Molfetta of Italy, 6'0" ( then weighing 192 pounds or 87 kg ) – captured gold by beating Anthony Obame, 6'3" or 192 cm, of Gabon (then weighing 176 pounds or 80 kg) in a very exciting heavyweight match.

Last edited:
OP
Yogesh Baghel

Yogesh Baghel

White Belt
Reaction score
What's your gender, weight and age? 167 centimetres? That's about 5'5".
Just to give you some perspective, Lee, Dae-Hun, of Korea won the gold medal in the flyweight division at the 2012 Summer Olympics. He is 5'11 or 180 cm, and back then weighed 143 lbs or 64kg. Multiple times World Champ Steven Lopez of the U.S won gold in men's featherweight (68 kg or 149 pound) division at the 2000 Olympics. He is 6'3' or 192 cm). Height plays a very big part of elite WTF sparring competition. It's not everything, though. Speed, tact and stamina are also very crucial. Here are some historica moments when shorter taekwondoin have overcome taller opponents in elite WTF competition. In the 2004 Athens Olympics – Moon Dae Sung, 6'3" (192 cm) of Korea knocked out Alexandros Nikolaidis – 6'7" (201 cm) of Greece with a spinning hook kick to the head in the final of the heavyweight division and won gold. In the 2012 London Olympics, Carlos Molfetta of Italy, 6'0" ( then weighing 192 pounds or 87 kg ) – captured gold by beating Anthony Obame, 6'3" or 192 cm, of Gabon (then weighing 176 pounds or 80 kg) in a very exciting heavyweight match.
male, weight 53 kg and 17 yr old

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
male, weight 53 kg and 17 yr old
If you are a blackbelt, that makes your are male, junior (15-17) in the under 55kg (featherweigt) division. You need to develop lots. and lots of speed , side to side movement and solid defense (especially to the head) to overcome tall opponents in that division. As you get older, if you maintain that weight, you will be in the flnweight division (under 54kg). Note there are 10 weight divisions for junior WTF championships, 8 for senior championships, and only 4 divisions for the Olympics, where you would be classified as under 58kg, and have to fight heavier taller opponents.

OP
Yogesh Baghel

Yogesh Baghel

White Belt
Reaction score
If you are a blackbelt, that makes your are male, junior (15-17) in the under 55kg (featherweigt) division. You need to develop lots. and lots of speed , side to side movement and solid defense (especially to the head) to overcome tall opponents in that division. As you get older, if you maintain that weight, you will be in the flnweight division (under 54kg). Note there are 10 weight divisions for junior WTF championships, 8 for senior championships, and only 4 divisions for the Olympics, where you would be classified as under 58kg, and have to fight heavier taller opponents.
if i become 18 yr old then would there be any other weight category for me or i"ll come in senior division.. plz explain

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's an obvious advantage in having long legs for kicking and fighting a taller person can be difficult but the reverse is true as well, it can be quite awkward for a taller person to fight a shorter one. It's really down to how much practice you put in, what coaching you have and things like that. It's possible too that at 17 you may gain another inch or two and will certainly gain more muscle/weight if you train right.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
if i become 18 yr old then would there be any other weight category for me or i"ll come in senior division.. plz explain

As mentioned earlier, there are 10 weight divisions in the Cadet, 10 weight divisions in Junior, and 8 weight divisions in the Senior classes of WTF regular elite competition. There are only four weight division in the WTF Olympic class, because Olympic competiton is subject to a strict quota system, which limits the numbers of athletes who can compete in taekwondo from each continent,

Ages for the different WTF classes in international competition are: Cadet (12-14); Junior (15-17); Senior (15+), Olympic (15+). Yes that's right you can fight as both a Junior and a Senior when you are a certain age.

That said, I have a feeling you are worried about the wrong things as you think about taekwondo. Based on the questions you are asking -- and don't take me the wrong way -- it might be best to focus on finding a good teacher, learn good taekwondo irrespective of your height and weight, and then think about competition.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reality is of local tournament fighting is that age/rank/weight categories are more than a little flexible. The smaller the tournament, the more flexible they're going to be.

Unless and until you reach the point of competing at a very high level, it's not worth worrying about. Just go train. Enter local competitions. Have fun.

OP
Yogesh Baghel

Yogesh Baghel

White Belt
Reaction score
The reality is of local tournament fighting is that age/rank/weight categories are more than a little flexible. The smaller the tournament, the more flexible they're going to be.

Unless and until you reach the point of competing at a very high level, it's not worth worrying about. Just go train. Enter local competitions. Have fun.
Hmm.. Ur'e right

OP
Yogesh Baghel

Yogesh Baghel

White Belt
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, there are 10 weight divisions in the Cadet, 10 weight divisions in Junior, and 8 weight divisions in the Senior classes of WTF regular elite competition. There are only four weight division in the WTF Olympic class, because Olympic competiton is subject to a strict quota system, which limits the numbers of athletes who can compete in taekwondo from each continent,

Ages for the different WTF classes in international competition are: Cadet (12-14); Junior (15-17); Senior (15+), Olympic (15+). Yes that's right you can fight as both a Junior and a Senior when you are a certain age.

That said, I have a feeling you are worried about the wrong things as you think about taekwondo. Based on the questions you are asking -- and don't take me the wrong way -- it might be best to focus on finding a good teacher, learn good taekwondo irrespective of your height and weight, and then think about competition.
Thanks...Buddy..
I will

Latest Discussions