Lone wing chun practitioners need help!!!

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
alright done with training , i think it went okay , not sure TT

Tan sau partner Drill:

Alright, looks much, MUCH better. Still not perfect (on your partner's part) but it's close. And you still have a bit of a bend in your wrist, which makes your hand look like you are begging. It should be straighter, with the hand relaxed but fingers pointed straight also. It's hard to explain why the wrist must be straight without being able to show you in person. But because of the slight angle (bent wrist), your opponent(s) could accidently (or on purpose) grab your hand and arm and put a downward, reverse joint or wrist lock on the tan. With it perfectly straight, your energy flows and makes it almost impossible for someone to do that. . . . also you're not totally driving the tan with your elbow because of the bend. So, those are the reasons for a straight wrist position.

I know some people will say a bent wrist (even slightly) does not matter, but if you encounter someone who is very proficient in joint locks (Aikido, Hapkido, BJJ), they will utilize the position against you.

So you're almost there. Work on it a bit more and sometime next week, I'll give you the last part.

Last edited by a moderator:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The structure is also weaker with a bent wrist, meaning the tan sau is not as strong. While it may or may not make a difference on if the application works in a particular instance, I prefer to do correctly so I cannot be challenged as easily :) Remember forward energy toward you opponent's center. A tan sau done with striking motion to the side can be countered very easily, if for no other reason you will leave your own center open and have a harder time recovering it. These are things to think about when you work the dummy as well as a live partner.

OP
H
Reaction score
Alright , i understand , i'm also currently reading a book about qi / ki energy flow in the wing chun systems and it mentioned something along the same lines but when i'm practicing its somewhat different in implementation , gonna keep working on it.

1. Keep a straight wrist.
2. Put more elbow into it so it stays on centre.

This excercise got me to thinking that the rotation of the arm is really what disperses the strike.The guidance i've gotten from everyone is amazing.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looking better.
Keep your protecting Wu sau seperate from your arm, I see its already a habit, also wu sau a bit higher.

OP
H
Reaction score
Trained outside today but recorded afterwards inside , i seem to be making progress ... lemme know what you guys think.

SNT

T
an sao:

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Trained outside today but recorded afterwards inside , i seem to be making progress ... lemme know what you guys think.

SNT

Tan sao:

Fook sao extened too far out, palm strike should align center.

Tan sao travels angular straight outward, your left is done with an slight flop downward motion.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, HLF, next part to add to the tan sao drill. You will need a partner for this. The guy who holds the camera for you will do. I trust you have another way of holding the camera.

The drill is designed to help you learn how to push your tan sao’s using your elbow. It does not teach you how to use the tan sao, yet, but is close. It just helps you with the energy needed to execute tan. Also, the drill is not finished, there is yet another part. So work on this.

Okay, so start with one arm forward in a tan sao position, say your left hand, with your right hand in wu sao (guard). You partner will stand in front facing you. From that, your partner will take his right hand and slide it on top of your left tan sao, slowly, driving it across the wrist, pointed in the direction of your right quarterline (area between your centerline and shoulder). The instant his hand crosses over your wrist, you will execute a tan sao with your right hand. If done correctly, your tan sao will connect with his arm and push it off the line with your tan sao in his centerline and your retracting hand going to wu sao position. Your partner should leave his right hand in the position it is at when you finish your tan sao. Then your partner will repeat the drill for your left tan sao. Your right arm should be in a tan sao position, and your partner will take his left hand and slide it on top of your right tan sao (pulling back his right hand while sliding his left forward), slowly, driving it across the wrist, pointed in the direction of your left quarterline (area between your centerline and shoulder). The instant his left hand crosses over your wrist, you will execute a tan sao with your left hand. If done correctly, your tan sao will connect with his arm and push it off the line with your tan sao in his centerline and your retracting hand going to wu sao position. Your partner should leave his hand in the position it is at when you finish you tan sao.

Then your partner and you will repeat this drill over and over for a few minutes, doing right then left tan saos. Your partner sliding his hand/arm should be relaxed, not stiff, hard, or rigid, and go to full extention. But he should give you a little resistance so you learn to use the elbow to push. When executing your tan sao’s, drive the position with your elbows, keeping your wrists straight, and point the tan sao up towards your partners chin or nose. Also, your tan sao should be on the outer side of your partner’s arm when you finish executing your tan sao.

It is an easy drill to do once you understand what you’re doing. However, it should be done slowly.

Try to do the drill with your partner, film it and put it up so I can see that you’re doing it right.

Okay HLF, last part to the tan sao drill (tan da drill). You will need your patner to help you.

Just like before, with you and you partner facing each other, you start with one arm forward in a tan sao position, say your left hand, with your right hand in wu sao (guard). You partner will stand in front facing you. From that, your partner will take his right hand and slide it on top of your left tan sao, slowly, driving it across the wrist, pointed in the direction of your right quarterline (area between your centerline and shoulder). The instant his hand crosses over your wrist, you will execute a tan sao with your right hand. But now, you will retract the left hand, and as your right hand is executing the tan sao, instead of staying in wu sao, your retracting left hand will immediately come forward and perform a punch, right alongside your right tan sao. If done correctly, your tan sao will connect with his arm and push it off the line, at the same time your retracting left hand is executing a punch in his centerline (this is called tan da, simultaneous parry and hit). When finished, retract the punching hand back to wu sao and you are ready to perform the drill for the other side (left side tan sao right side punch). As before, your partner should leave his right hand in the position it is at when you finish your tan da. Then your partner will repeat the drill for your left tan sao.

Sound difficult, but it’s really easy. If you think you understand it, try it and put up a copy of the drill so I can see if you got it right.

Once you have the gist of how to do it correctly, you and your partner can start the drill from a dis-engaged fighting stance position (basically you partner just throws you a punch), and you execute the tan da on the outside of his punching arm.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hmm so this is what simultaneous attack and defense is like , tan da , gonna start working on it , its night time here and my partner's asleep ... will make a video in the morning and hopefully it'll turn out alright ... One thing i noticed , it seems to me like when im in ykyjm stance , after i bring my fists upto my chest , if i let my elbows drop slightly instead of sticking them out perpendicular to my back ... well when i let them drop at an angle i seem to generate more power and speed. If that works should i adapt that method?

Okay HLF, last part to the tan sao drill (tan da drill). You will need your patner to help you.

Just like before, with you and you partner facing each other, you start with one arm forward in a tan sao position, say your left hand, with your right hand in wu sao (guard). You partner will stand in front facing you. From that, your partner will take his right hand and slide it on top of your left tan sao, slowly, driving it across the wrist, pointed in the direction of your right quarterline (area between your centerline and shoulder). The instant his hand crosses over your wrist, you will execute a tan sao with your right hand. But now, you will retract the left hand, and as your right hand is executing the tan sao, instead of staying in wu sao, your retracting left hand will immediately come forward and perform a punch, right alongside your right tan sao. If done correctly, your tan sao will connect with his arm and push it off the line, at the same time your retracting left hand is executing a punch in his centerline (this is called tan da, simultaneous parry and hit). When finished, retract the punching hand back to wu sao and you are ready to perform the drill for the other side (left side tan sao right side punch). As before, your partner should leave his right hand in the position it is at when you finish your tan da. Then your partner will repeat the drill for your left tan sao.

Sound difficult, but it’s really easy. If you think you understand it, try it and put up a copy of the drill so I can see if you got it right.

Once you have the gist of how to do it correctly, you and your partner can start the drill from a dis-engaged fighting stance position (basically you partner just throws you a punch), and you execute the tan da on the outside of his punching arm.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm so this is what simultaneous attack and defense is like , tan da , gonna start working on it , its night time here and my partner's asleep ... will make a video in the morning and hopefully it'll turn out alright ... One thing i noticed , it seems to me like when im in ykyjm stance , after i bring my fists upto my chest , if i let my elbows drop slightly instead of sticking them out perpendicular to my back ... well when i let them drop at an angle i seem to generate more power and speed. If that works should i adapt that method?

Do not let your elbows stick out, keep them down to cover your center. Biggest mistake most beginners make is letting the elbows raise or flair out which opens up the center. That's one of the reasons you learn to punch the way we do is to learn to cover the center from attacks, making our opponents take the long way around our arms to strike, giving us the short distance between out fist and their throat.

Tan da is only one idea for simultaneously blocking and attacking. You can also just use your punch over your opponents punch to block (or rather parry) and strike at the same time. Any hand position like tan, biu, pak, jut, or gan can be used with a da (stike like with a punch) at the same time, is a simultaneous parry and strike. It's not difficult, just takes practice because most people are used to doing one offensive or defensive motion at a time. But when you learn to drive a car, ride a bike, or really just about anything (chew gum and walk at the same time, etc.) you learn to do several things or two things at once with your hands all at one time. We as human being just don't realize it.

Last edited:

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Tan da is only one idea for simultaneously blocking and attacking. You can also just use your punch over your opponents punch to block (or rather parry) and strike at the same time. Any hand position like tan, biu, pak, jut, or gan can be used with a da (stike like with a punch) at the same time, is a simultaneous parry and strike.

Since "parry" is an fencing term, we use "angular deflection" to explain and to demo the visual process ... the mechanic is similar but not quite the same. However, you could parry or deflect the incoming attack just enough away from your center line so you don't get hit.

The truth is ... they both serves to prevent your opponent form landing one on you.

OP
H
Reaction score
I see ... unfortunately my partner's been away again , due to return sometime soon and i think im gonna do this excercise with someone i've already trained with ... instead of someone who doesn't know what to expect when i mean training ... anyway hopefully i'll get the chance to do the tan da excercise by tonight but in the mean time i attempted the SNT Full form.

OP
H
Reaction score
Treid the Tan da, First attempt went rather Awkwardly , spent a good amount of time figuring it out , then it looked something like this and its probably wrong. But still had to try it

Tan Da:

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Treid the Tan da, First attempt went rather Awkwardly , spent a good amount of time figuring it out , then it looked something like this and its probably wrong. But still had to try it

Tan Da:

HFL. . . . . I SAID SLOW, that is not slow. You and your partner are going WAY TOO FAST. This is a drill, to teach you tan da, not a competition or an actual attack. Slow it down, way, WAY down.

Also, your punch should be along side your tan sau, not your tan sao execiting (and finishing) and then you throw your punch. The punch should come along side your tan sao and they stop (or finish) at the same time. That is why you have to do it really, really slow. When you actually use the tan da from an actual punch thrown at you, the tan and the punch are done together, at the same time.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I see ... unfortunately my partner's been away again , due to return sometime soon and i think im gonna do this excercise with someone i've already trained with ... instead of someone who doesn't know what to expect when i mean training ... anyway hopefully i'll get the chance to do the tan da excercise by tonight but in the mean time i attempted the SNT Full form.

HLF, who's SNT are you doing? A lot of things wrong with it, from my point of view. The movements are very jerky instead of smooth and flowing. Also, the sequence in the 3rd set is incorrect, but that's not really important, as long as all the important hand positions are done.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hmm , i was doing ip chin's but i knew it was a little messy , been working on that as well , gonna start recording the morning session so hopefully both the excercises will look better this time.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm , i was doing ip chin's but i knew it was a little messy , been working on that as well , gonna start recording the morning session so hopefully both the excercises will look better this time.

Don't know who Ip Chin is . . . . there is Ip Chun or Ip Ching. So what'd you do, cut them in half, blended them together and get Ip Chin? So which one?

Latest Discussions