Lone wing chun practitioners need help!!!

OP
H
Reaction score
In my novice opinion they look a little high and the angle of your forearm is too steep.

However, lineages do things in different ways so I will let the experts offer their advice.

I laughed when you sorted your hair out after taking your cap off:uhyeah:

Again kudos to you for posting vids on here, takes some balls to have it critiqued. I am far too shy at the mo but as I have said maybe in the future.

Pffshaw bully you've probably been practicing more years than i've been alive =p Your novice opinion is most welcome.

OP
H
Reaction score
Okay Haris Lamboo Faisal, again do it a little bit slower. The speed your using would be for executing the tan, but you are trying to learn the proper position when executing first. Focus on the hand position first, learn it and understand it.

The tan sao is a bit too high, so drop it maybe a little bit. Of course, I think the height of the camera recording (held) may have a little bit to do with it too. Also, when replacing one tan sao with another, make the retracting hand slide completely UNDER the hand coming forward. Or put abother way, let the hand coming forward travel over the retracting hand. The returning hand is defending the space (blocking any entry from your opponent) below your tan sao. The hand (arm) coming forward always takes presidence (command) over the retracting hand. In the video, you're moving your hand side to side and it should be over one another. It follows the same motion you use when doing your punch . . . . straight line forward, semi circular motion retracting.

Got it, go slower , arms bringing force forwards at an angle with the arms tilting upwards coming out no higher than the chin ... they should be going over and under each other. Thanks.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yeah , they are too high mate.
Instead of driving your force out , you are driving your force up.
Think of it as a piercing movement , just pierce forward from the elbow.

hmm piercing forward , got it ... i think i've got my mind around all the mistakes i made in the last video ... so i should be able to come out with a decent looking tan next time around. Ty :)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
hmm piercing forward , got it ... i think i've got my mind around all the mistakes i made in the last video ... so i should be able to come out with a decent looking tan next time around. Ty :)

Sometimes these things are easier to understand the workings of after you have used them in application , rather than just how you imagine them to work.

Why don't you get your mate the camera man to set up the camera on the side and have him fire off some very slow chain punching.

You do the same thing you were doing before in the air with the tan sau's except this time you are going to use them on the outside of his wrists to redirect his punches.
Very good exercise for learning to control the centerline and get that tan sau dead on centre.

OP
H
Reaction score
Sometimes these things are easier to understand the workings of after you have used them in application , rather than just how you imagine them to work.

Why don't you get your mate the camera man to set up the camera on the side and have him fire off some very slow chain punching.

You do the same thing you were doing before in the air with the tan sau's except this time you are going to use them on the outside of his wrists to redirect his punches.
Very good exercise for learning to control the centerline and get that tan sau dead on centre.

hmm about to start the training session , ima make a vid after it. and do the excercise too hopefully though my mate is a little camera shy. :)

OP
H
Reaction score

Okay while doing it with my partner we had alot of fun xD and i waited until i edited in one of my favorite instrumentals before posting , came across something i hadn't thought of ... you put the tan on the outside of your opp's wrist with either hand in this excercise, using the opposite hand ( me left tan, partner left punch) led me to my partner's somewhat exposed ribcage with just a small step had i chosen that route, while the other hand would keep us pretty much straight in line to each other ... or is one incorrect and the other correct?

at some points for a few seconds my tan's turned into a cirucular motion downwards , i was a little fatigued as this was after about 2 hrs of practicing the stance , the tan sao and some conditioning excercises.

Last edited by a moderator:

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the soundtrack!!

Get your mate to put you under more pressure by getting in closer and putting those punches in so they will actually hit you if you dont get your Tan right.

I would also suggest getting your mate to put some gloves on and doing some boxing shots. Crosses and jabs, these are more like the shots you will get in the real world.

Hooks after that then uppercuts etc.

I need to take some of my own advice and get some of this done myself:ultracool

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay while doing it with my partner we had alot of fun xD and i waited until i edited in one of my favorite instrumentals before posting , came across something i hadn't thought of ... you put the tan on the outside of your opp's wrist with either hand in this excercise, using the opposite hand ( me left tan, partner left punch) led me to my partner's somewhat exposed ribcage with just a small step had i chosen that route, while the other hand would keep us pretty much straight in line to each other ... or is one incorrect and the other correct?

at some points for a few seconds my tan's turned into a cirucular motion downwards , i was a little fatigued as this was after about 2 hrs of practicing the stance , the tan sao and some conditioning excercises.

Haris , get a bit more light on the subject please I almost needed night vision goggles to see what was going on.

Not bad Haris considering , I will just put these in point form to save time.

• As Bully mentioned , your mate is too far out of range , this can interfere with your technique , get him in closer or if he is too timid you step in towards him , always train in range.

• Your shoulders are starting to come into play , and your body is starting to swing a bit , sink down and keep your shoulders still , let your elbows do the work.

• The main problem is that you are starting off your Tan Sau with the forearm already rotated before you even come into contact with his arm , don't rotate your forearm until the edge of your hand makes contact with the outside of the wrist. This is called "shearing elbow force " Then after it has done it's job it rotates back to a neutral position ready for your other hand to come back over the top.

• Your force is too circular , project your force from the elbow by piercing forward slightly , keep your fingers aimed at his throat , keep your wrist on the centreline.

• For the purposes of this exercise I just wanted you to use your Tan Sau on the outside of his wrists , as in your right Tan Sau pinky finger side to the outside of his left punch.

• You can use your Tan on his opposite arm , but at your stage you are better off just counter punching , which leads to another exercise called chain punching vs chain punching , using the Tan on his opposite arm will be someways down the track , as it is a bit more of a complex movement involving sinking the elbow.

• These exercises develop timing , correct technique , but mainly they develop "elbow force".

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Haris , get a bit more light on the subject please I almost needed night vision goggles to see what was going on.

• As Bully mentioned , your mate is too far out of range , this can interfere with your technique , get him in closer or if he is too timid you step in towards him , always train in range.
  • Your shoulders are starting to come into play , and your body is starting to swing a bit , sink down and keep your shoulders still , let your elbows do the work.
  • The main problem is that you are starting off your Tan Sau with the forearm already rotated before you even come into contact with his arm , don't rotate your forearm until the edge of your hand makes contact with the outside of the wrist. This is called "shearing elbow force " Then after it has done it's job it rotates back to a neutral position ready for your other hand to come back over the top.
  • Your force is too circular , project your force from the elbow by piercing forward slightly , keep your fingers aimed at his throat , keep your wrist on the centreline.
  • For the purposes of this exercise I just wanted you to use your Tan Sau on the outside of his wrists , as in your right Tan Sau pinky finger side to the outside of his left punch.
  • You can use your Tan on his opposite arm , but at your stage you are better off just counter punching , which leads to another exercise called chain punching vs chain punching , using the Tan on his opposite arm will be someways down the track , as it is a bit more of a complex movement involving sinking the elbow.
  • These exercises develop timing , correct technique , but mainly they develop "elbow force".

Haris Lamboo Faisal, ditto everything Mook Jong Man said plus:

First off, the drill I gave you is not to be used in the manner in which you are using it in this last video. So stop. The drill is the first part to a two part drill which only helps you learn to push the tan sao with the elbow, by sliding it when it makes contact to an opponent. Tan sao is not designed to bump or thump, but disperse by sliding and torqueing. Tan sao means dispersing hand, so like an arrow travelling through the air or a torpedo travelling through the water, it disperses an obstruction (an opponent's punch or blocking arm) out of it's way as it travels forward.

Second, again you are going way too fast in doing the drill.

Third, upon watching your tan sao in the last video, it also tells me you are doing your chain punching wrong, meaning you're executing the punches in a circular manner. Your punch and tan sao should come from the wu sao position straight out and not circle over the other arm, and the retracting arm should make a half circle or semi-circular return to the wu sau or elbow guard position.

Do the drill I gave you again, with the corrections discussed in previous posts, plus what I have told you here. But don't use a partner in conjunction with it YET!

Then produce a video of it and if it looks correct, I'll give you the second part of the drill.

OP
H
Reaction score
Haris Lamboo Faisal, ditto everything Mook Jong Man said plus:

First off, the drill I gave you is not to be used in the manner in which you are using it in this last video. So stop. The drill is the first part to a two part drill which only helps you learn to push the tan sao with the elbow, by sliding it when it makes contact to an opponent. Tan sao is not designed to bump or thump, but disperse by sliding and torqueing. Tan sao means dispersing hand, so like an arrow travelling through the air or a torpedo travelling through the water, it disperses an obstruction (an opponent's punch or blocking arm) out of it's way as it travels forward.

Second, again you are going way too fast in doing the drill.

Third, upon watching your tan sao in the last video, it also tells me you are doing your chain punching wrong, meaning you're executing the punches in a circular manner. Your punch and tan sao should come from the wu sao position straight out and not circle over the other arm, and the retracting arm should make a half circle or semi-circular return to the wu sau or elbow guard position.

Do the drill I gave you again, with the corrections discussed in previous posts, plus what I have told you here. But don't use a partner in conjunction with it YET!

Then produce a video of it and if it looks correct, I'll give you the second part of the drill.

yes , but i thought that giving it a shot even though i haven't completed the tan sau drills would be interesting for a session , you know i can always come back to it later if its hideous , but it also got me thinking more about the tan sau :) ... i've been doing the excercise very slowly and that seems to make it easier to keep the shoulders back when i try to speed up. getting a hang of the rotation at the end of the tan sau.

Still think the tan sau needs some work , trying to make it feel natural but it feels like something's wrong. So i guess atleast i'm thinking about it.

OP
H
Reaction score

Well , long list =p but i'm working on it .. i think i almost got it. about to start training right after i type this post out infact. :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Like the soundtrack!!

Get your mate to put you under more pressure by getting in closer and putting those punches in so they will actually hit you if you dont get your Tan right.

I would also suggest getting your mate to put some gloves on and doing some boxing shots. Crosses and jabs, these are more like the shots you will get in the real world.

Hooks after that then uppercuts etc.

I need to take some of my own advice and get some of this done myself:ultracool

hmm thanks ... i'm gonna make sure to get in closer so that the punches actually pose a hitting chance but i think the tan sau drill still needs alotta work ... it needs a little more attention that i'm giving it right now. Guess i need to stop acting like a keyboard warrior and actually get back to the practice session :Mushi Mushi

OP
H
Reaction score
Hmm, this is my tan sao after the today's morning session ... did alot of SNT first section , chain punching , wrist, hand and torso excercises and mostly worked on my tan sao. Finally got around to getting it to feel a little natural apart from the thumb sticking out. Still needs some work But i thought i'd make a recording of it anyway. Oh and alot more light this time :)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm, this is my tan sao after the today's morning session ... did alot of SNT first section , chain punching , wrist, hand and torso excercises and mostly worked on my tan sao. Finally got around to getting it to feel a little natural apart from the thumb sticking out. Still needs some work But i thought i'd make a recording of it anyway. Oh and alot more light this time :)

I like you , your a funny bastard.

• Sink your weight , you appear to be a little high in your stance.

• When you cross your arms down , I would say your arms are a little too straightish for my liking , also your arms are changing angle , make sure you maintain the angle in your arms through out the whole downwards to upwards motion

• From the downwards crossed position make sure you are using the elbows to thrust the arms back up to the top position.

• Again the thumb was sticking out and I thought I saw a hand there where all the fingers weren't together . I can't stress enough to keep your fingers together and thumb tucked in , fingers and thumbs take ages to heal once they get injured and sometimes they are never quite the same again in terms of range of motion.

• The Tan Sau's looked ok from where I'm sitting , keep up the good work Haris.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I like you , your a funny bastard.

• Sink your weight , you appear to be a little high in your stance.

• When you cross your arms down , I would say your arms are a little too straightish for my liking , also your arms are changing angle , make sure you maintain the angle in your arms through out the whole downwards to upwards motion

• From the downwards crossed position make sure you are using the elbows to thrust the arms back up to the top position.

• Again the thumb was sticking out and I thought I saw a hand there where all the fingers weren't together . I can't stress enough to keep your fingers together and thumb tucked in , fingers and thumbs take ages to heal once they get injured and sometimes they are never quite the same again in terms of range of motion.

• The Tan Sau's looked ok from where I'm sitting , keep up the good work Haris.

Mook, look at what you have done ... now I'll have to go along with you and say something nice. :p

Haris, my hat's off to you. Despite what had been said about the negative aspects of video and long distant learning, I'm glad that you chose not to listen and did not give up.

With such desire and determination, any teacher would fortunate to have you as a student.

Now go back to the beginning, work on the proper opening stance (feet) and chamber of your fists, before the lower front crossing of your arms.

OP
H
Reaction score
TY guys ... ima keep those things in mind ... i need to keep the thumb in and make sure the stance doesn't suffer because of practicing something new.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Haris Lamboo Faisal,

Your tan sao's are still sliding side by side and not one over top of the other. Your wu sao should touch your forearm and slide over top of it to the wrist, slowly for this drill. The retracting hand should be touching your forearm as it slides back into the wu sau position. Please slow it down ever more, go at a snail's pace, you're still rushing the positions.

OP
H
Reaction score
Haris Lamboo Faisal,

Your tan sao's are still sliding side by side and not one over top of the other. Your wu sao should touch your forearm and slide over top of it to the wrist, slowly for this drill. The retracting hand should be touching your forearm as it slides back into the wu sau position. Please slow it down ever more, go at a snail's pace, you're still rushing the positions.

Hmm after looking at it carefully ... that does make a little sense by that do you mean i should exxagerate the over and under movement a little bit?

Latest Discussions