Lone wing chun practitioners need help!!!

OP
H
Reaction score
today i tried to sink in to the stance a bit more.
SNT section 1

Last edited by a moderator:

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Link doesn't work. Why did you remove the video?

OP
H
Reaction score
removed it because i uploaded an old video instead of yesterday's...this is the video i meant to upload.

OP
H
Reaction score
Had a long WC session did the tan sau alot of chain punches on the punching bag ... a lot of SNT and other excercises to condition the wrist and arms.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Had a long WC session did the tan sau alot of chain punches on the punching bag ... a lot of SNT and other excercises to condition the wrist and arms.

The tan sao drill looked better. You cheated the tan a couple of times (side by side), but all in all it was okay. Keep your wrists locked straight, the hands were bent down a bit, which may suggest you're not using your elbows entirely to drive the tan. And still need to do it slower and when you add the next part, you'll understand why. Also, tuck in those thumbs, glue them to the sides of your hand or something, but don't leave them sticking out. They make great handles for an opponent to grab, break, or rip off.

And what's the deal with the nunchakus? Terrible weapon, great for hurting yourself. Get yourself a Kali stick or long blade of some type. Why train with a farm tool when you can train with a real weapon?

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, HLF, next part to add to the tan sao drill. You will need a partner for this. The guy who holds the camera for you will do. I trust you have another way of holding the camera.

The drill is designed to help you learn how to push your tan sao’s using your elbow. It does not teach you how to use the tan sao, yet, but is close. It just helps you with the energy needed to execute tan. Also, the drill is not finished, there is yet another part. So work on this.

Okay, so start with one arm forward in a tan sao position, say your left hand, with your right hand in wu sao (guard). You partner will stand in front facing you. From that, your partner will take his right hand and slide it on top of your left tan sao, slowly, driving it across the wrist, pointed in the direction of your right quarterline (area between your centerline and shoulder). The instant his hand crosses over your wrist, you will execute a tan sao with your right hand. If done correctly, your tan sao will connect with his arm and push it off the line with your tan sao in his centerline and your retracting hand going to wu sao position. Your partner should leave his right hand in the position it is at when you finish your tan sao. Then your partner will repeat the drill for your left tan sao. Your right arm should be in a tan sao position, and your partner will take his left hand and slide it on top of your right tan sao (pulling back his right hand while sliding his left forward), slowly, driving it across the wrist, pointed in the direction of your left quarterline (area between your centerline and shoulder). The instant his left hand crosses over your wrist, you will execute a tan sao with your left hand. If done correctly, your tan sao will connect with his arm and push it off the line with your tan sao in his centerline and your retracting hand going to wu sao position. Your partner should leave his hand in the position it is at when you finish you tan sao.

Then your partner and you will repeat this drill over and over for a few minutes, doing right then left tan saos. Your partner sliding his hand/arm should be relaxed, not stiff, hard, or rigid, and go to full extention. But he should give you a little resistance so you learn to use the elbow to push. When executing your tan sao’s, drive the position with your elbows, keeping your wrists straight, and point the tan sao up towards your partners chin or nose. Also, your tan sao should be on the outer side of your partner’s arm when you finish executing your tan sao.

It is an easy drill to do once you understand what you’re doing. However, it should be done slowly.

Try to do the drill with your partner, film it and put it up so I can see that you’re doing it right.

OP
H
Reaction score
got it , i just finished up today's session currently copying the video to the pc gonna upload it soon , well he's asleep right now so i'll give it a go tomorrow morning hopefully. This seems like a very interesting drill. Ty

OP
H
Reaction score
One question though should he slide his hand across my wrist in a tan sau motion or a punching motion?

Also i got the nunchuks almost for free and they were made in 1985 i think but still very robust ... Hmm i actually did consider kali training since i've heard its amazing stamina wise. :)

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
One question though should he slide his hand across my wrist in a tan sau motion or a punching motion?

Yes, your partner should use a punching motion (wing Chun punch, with elbow pointed down or what we call a vertical punch), but do it slowly.

Also i got the nunchuks almost for free and they were made in 1985 i think but still very robust ... Hmm i actually did consider kali training since i've heard its amazing stamina wise. :)?

To me, Kali sticks are second to the Wing Chun butterfly swords. The concepts, principles, and theories are very similar. So I can jump from Wing Chun blades to kali stick or vice versa at a moments notice. Very easy. Plus because Kali focuses on weapons first, it makes it easy for Wing Chun students to understand the blades of WC much faster.

Can I make one observation in you SNT form, when you do the fook sao (fuk sao?), you're dropping your fook sao a bit too much. The wrist should stay about the same height on the fook sao as with the returning wu sao. Which is also the height of the wrist for tan sao and bong sao.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes, your partner should use a punching motion (wing Chun punch, with elbow pointed down or what we call a vertical punch), but do it slowly.

To me, Kali sticks are second to the Wing Chun butterfly swords. The concepts, principles, and theories are very similar. So I can jump from Wing Chun blades to kali stick or vice versa at a moments notice. Very easy. Plus because Kali focuses on weapons first, it makes it easy for Wing Chun students to understand the blades of WC much faster.

Can I make one observation in you SNT form, when you do the fook sao (fuk sao?), you're dropping your fook sao a bit too much. The wrist should stay about the same height on the fook sao as with the returning wu sao. Which is also the height of the wrist for tan sao and bong sao.

So fook sao bong sao and tan sao are all done at the same height.

Well Mr.Z it was our first attempt at the tan sao partner drill so any mistakes you see you should point out. i'm dunno if this is a stupid question but so far i've continuously practiced the first section of SNT and though i sorta get the basic uses of the straight punch and the tan sao motion and the wu sao position has a fairly obvious use but what about the fook sao and the shoulder block and the palm strike what is the reasoning behind them?

Anyway thanks for watching thanks for reading here's the partner drill video.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
So fook sao bong sao and tan sao are all done at the same height.

Yes.

. . . . .and though i sorta get the basic uses of the straight punch and the tan sao motion and the wu sao position has a fairly obvious use but what about the fook sao and the shoulder block and the palm strike what is the reasoning behind them?

Shoulder block? Are you talking about when you take your wu sao from centerline to the shoulder then retract it back to center? If so, that is called a pak sao, which means slapping hand. It is meant as a parry to prevent a punch or strike that slips through your defenses to be slapped away (or blocked) from hitting you.

The forward palm strike (dim or deem jern) you use instead of a punch. Basic Wing Chun philosophy is you strike a hard target with something soft and a soft target with something hard. For instance, the basic WC punch is meant to hit someone in the throat or solar plexus. If you want to hit someone in the face or ribs, you use a palm strike instead.

Fook sao means sensing hand. When engaged with an opponent, the hand that has made contact with a bridge (forearm or other body contact), a fook sao, is actively looking to feel or sense any kind of movement that may reveal your opponent is moving to gearing up to attack or retreating. Fook sao may then become a jut, a lop, a tau, a jop, a punch, a biu or any hand position as needed for that moment.

. Anyway thanks for watching thanks for reading here's the partner drill video.

Okay, the drill was pretty close to correct. But here are a few things you need to work on.

1. You guys are doing the drill too fast, slow it down. This drill is the start to sensitivity, proper position and execution of the elbow.

2. The two of you are standing just a bit too close to each other. When facing each other, one of you extend your arms forward and touch the other guys shoulders or chest with your finger tips only. That is as close as you should be standing to each other.

3. On your tan saos, your wrists are not straight. Because the wrist is not totally straight, you are not driving the tan sao fully with your elbow. The hand is partly pulling the tan instead of the elbow pushing. Plus it looks like you're begging for money instead of dispersing something coming at you. The term tan sao means dispersing hand. So straighten your wrists, no bend in the tan what-so-ever.

4. Your elbow is not at the immoveable elbow position, they are too close to your body. The tan(s) need to come out (forward) another 1.5 - 2 inches.

5. Finally, your partner is retracting his punch before he throws the next one. He should not retract his punch until his other hand has made contact to your wrist.

You (the person who executes tan sao) can also do this drill with your eyes closed because you don't perform the tan sao until you feel his punch making contact with your wrist. That is the signal to drive the tan sao with your elbow.

So make these changes and let me see how you're doing.

OP
H
Reaction score
Am very happy that the drill wasn't completely off , its about sensitivity i get that so gotta slow it down , i noticed the bend in the tan and i'm to blame there gonna do the 1st drill for the tan sau alot more and hopefully eliminate the bend at the wrist.

so its called a pak sao or slapping hand , shoulder block probably sounded weird lol.

That's enlightening , i would've never been able to guess about the palm strike and the fook sao or about this concept of hard on soft and soft on hard , though i did know that one of the applications of palm strike is that if you wanna send someone backwards quickly you deem jern (hope i spelt that right) the chin and push out.

I'm getting restless to do the drill again but my partner's sleeping and i couldn't stop thinking about it which is why i'm probably still awake lol Thank you very much that was very enlightening.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
The sensitivity = Keep light contact at the wrist so you know where he is and relax until you feel your partner about to do something, then act on it.
The wooden dummy form can be perfomed without a dummy so my point is it's good to throw shapes hard or soft on your own... might look like a weirdo to some, but still.

OP
H
Reaction score
Guess so , been practicing but also got various Things i gotta get done so i haven't had the opportunity to record any post session videos , i'm going to make one of my progress after tomorrow morning's session.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, so you are making progress.... I can see your positive vibrations will get you there....even if a car won't get you to class. :)
Remember to never forget the foundations you know, don't try progress too quickly.

OP
H
Reaction score
xD

I'm not going to forget my foundations they're always in the back of my head , but my practice partner seems to have forgotten himself somewhere lol.

Today's was a solo training session and i finally got time to record ... my lats are aching now.

Also i just read this but i think they wanted bmx riders to play basketball on this court.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...s-tripped-out-basketball-court?urn=nba-wp5743

OP
H
Reaction score
Also thank you to everyone who's been helping me progress over the few months that i've been active on these forums.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
xD

I'm not going to forget my foundations they're always in the back of my head , but my practice partner seems to have forgotten himself somewhere lol.

Today's was a solo training session and i finally got time to record ... my lats are aching now.

Is that a real mook yan jong you're working on? Where did you get it?

First off, the jong it set too high for you. The top arms on the jong should be at a height between the nipples on your breast and the collarbone. No higher and no lower. If the jong is not adjustable, you'll need to find a way to make it be that height. Too high doesn't help you (as I can see what it is doing to your tan sao) and too low is bad also.

Okay, the drill. Your tan sao's should slide across the wooden dummy's arms, not crash or thump on the arms like what you are doing. Just like the alive man drill you do with your partner, tan sao works because it slides and torques forward, not bumps and crashes. Go back and make the tan smooth by engaging the arms with a smooth sliding motion.

So lower the dummy to the suggested height and practice sliding your hand/arm across the dummy's arms.

Still waiting to see what your two man tan sao drill looks like with your partner.

OP
H
Reaction score
Is that a real mook yan jong you're working on? Where did you get it?

First off, the jong it set too high for you. The top arms on the jong should be at a height between the nipples on your breast and the collarbone. No higher and no lower. If the jong is not adjustable, you'll need to find a way to make it be that height. Too high doesn't help you (as I can see what it is doing to your tan sao) and too low is bad also.

Okay, the drill. Your tan sao's should slide across the wooden dummy's arms, not crash or thump on the arms like what you are doing. Just like the alive man drill you do with your partner, tan sao works because it slides and torques forward, not bumps and crashes. Go back and make the tan smooth by engaging the arms with a smooth sliding motion.

So lower the dummy to the suggested height and practice sliding your hand/arm across the dummy's arms.

Still waiting to see what your two man tan sao drill looks like with your partner.

Alright , my partner's back , he was away or a day but i'm actually about to start training , gonna upload the two man drill after the session.

Its a self made mook. Made it in the beginning when i had started researching WC. :)

OP
H
Reaction score
alright done with training , i think it went okay , not sure TT

Tan sau partner Drill:

Latest Discussions