Lone wing chun practitioners need help!!!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the Black Belt.

Hey everybody...part at zepedawingchun's house!

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Black Belt only means I've gotten past beginner stage, now time to work harder and climb the ladder.

Learning is an never ending cycle, after you have an grasp of the basic, now you have to learn to understand and how to apply it.

Black belt means you had gotten pass the 1st level, now you are an white belt in the 2nd level ... now get to work already. :p

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the Black Belt.

Hey everybody...part at zepedawingchun's house!

Damn,,,,that was supposed to say party at zepeda's house....just goes to show, even black belts make mistakes

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Grats! now when I scroll down the threads every other belt is black! definitely messing up my eyes, lol!

OP
H
Reaction score
How long have you been doing the first set of SNT? 2 - 3 weeks? Continue to do the first set. . . . . . for 6 months. Traditionally, the sets were done 1 at a time for 4 months before going to the next set, and it was added to the other set(s) . The reason I say 6 months is because you don't have a sifu directly training you, you need to work extra hard at it. So 2 extra months over the normal length of time before moving to the next set should be just about right.

See, already, he's wanting to go to something more advanced and doesn't even have the first set of SNT perfect. You need to take your time. The beauty in the journey is not the arrival, but the trek to where you are going.

P.S. Wow, I just noticed, I'm a Black Belt in martialtalk! ! ! When did that happen? Just like everything else I do, I just work at whatever needs to be done and poof, next thing I know, I've arrived. But, Black Belt only means I've gotten past beginner stage, now time to work harder and climb the ladder.

Grats on the black belt Mr Z ...I am very much enjoying the journey .... Infact i think the journey has been more amazing than my last girlfriend lol Zepeda if you think i shouldn't do part 2 yet then i won't , but is there any other drill i could do along with section 1? apart from chain punches or the broomstick drill that bully told me about? Im gonna make another video after my practice session tonight which im supposed to start in about 45 minutes.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grats on the black belt Mr Z ...I am very much enjoying the journey .... Infact i think the journey has been more amazing than my last girlfriend lol Zepeda if you think i shouldn't do part 2 yet then i won't , but is there any other drill i could do along with section 1? apart from chain punches or the broomstick drill that bully told me about? Im gonna make another video after my practice session tonight which im supposed to start in about 45 minutes.

From your stance put your guard up , then raise your leg maintaining the same angle of the leg from your stance.
As you raise your leg pivot your support foot so as to keep balance , make sure your knee is on the centreline and your toes pulled back.

Try to get your knee up high enough to meet your guard so that there is no gap between knee and guard.
Stay balanced and hold the position as long as you can then do the same on the other side .
We call this full guard or hanging horse stance .

OP
H
Reaction score
From your stance put your guard up , then raise your leg maintaining the same angle of the leg from your stance.
As you raise your leg pivot your support foot so as to keep balance , make sure your knee is on the centreline and your toes pulled back.

Try to get your knee up high enough to meet your guard so that there is no gap between knee and guard.
Stay balanced and hold the position as long as you can then do the same on the other side .
We call this full guard or hanging horse stance .

Was taking a five minute break from practice when i noticed this. Wow , thanks, Mook :)

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

The first things I teach beginning students is Siu Nim Tao (also the name of the first 3rd of of Siu Nim Tao). Along with that, I teach yut chi kuen (basic punch), tan sau (dispersing hand), and then tan da (combination dispersing hand and punch).

Warning: Please read carefully, this is important and if not done correctly will screw up everything beyond this point.

So from YJKYM, after a punch, making sure the rear hand is at the punching hand's elbow position,
1. Leaving the hands where they were after the punch, on the centerline,
2. The rear hand, or wu sao (guarding hand) comes forward with the palm up in a slow motion (to become tan sao), over the punching hand, with the fingers pointed straight forward on the centerline. (some people call tan sao beggers hand because it looks like you are begging for money). As you gain experience, it can be speeded up.
3. As the fingers of the tan sao sliding forward reach the leading hand's wrist, the leading hand RETRACTS UNDER the tan sao and becomes wu sao at the elbow.
4. The tan sao continues forward but then stops when the elbow reaches the immoveable elbow position. You've just execute a tan sao.
5. Now then, you repeat these movements from #1 - 5 for each wu sao to become tan sao.

Do 108 tan sao's then change up to 108 punches, followed by 108 tan sao's, etc. until you've reached 1,062 movements (or 9 set of 108). Then start all over again. Do this everyday at least twice a day for 3 days. Then you may be ready for tan da.

The punch and tan sao must become natural for you to do without hesitation. If you have a mook yan jong, you can do this with it, standing in front of it in YJKYM, in the center. The tan sao's can be exected against the arms (your left hand sliding up, inside the left arm when facing the jong, of the dummy, your right arm sliding up inside the jong's right arm. Do this for both the punch and the tan sao. Execute slowly and precisely, making sure your elbow stays positioned on the centerline, stopping at the immoveable elbow position.

OP
H
Reaction score
The first things I teach beginning students is Siu Nim Tao (also the name of the first 3rd of of Siu Nim Tao). Along with that, I teach yut chi kuen (basic punch), tan sau (dispersing hand), and then tan da (combination dispersing hand and punch).

Warning: Please read carefully, this is important and if not done correctly will screw up everything beyond this point.

So from YJKYM, after a punch, making sure the rear hand is at the punching hand's elbow position,
1. Leaving the hands where they were after the punch, on the centerline,
2. The rear hand, or wu sao (guarding hand) comes forward with the palm up in a slow motion (to become tan sao), over the punching hand, with the fingers pointed straight forward on the centerline. (some people call tan sao beggers hand because it looks like you are begging for money). As you gain experience, it can be speeded up.
3. As the fingers of the tan sao sliding forward reach the leading hand's wrist, the leading hand RETRACTS UNDER the tan sao and becomes wu sao at the elbow.
4. The tan sao continues forward but then stops when the elbow reaches the immoveable elbow position. You've just execute a tan sao.
5. Now then, you repeat these movements from #1 - 5 for each wu sao to become tan sao.

Do 108 tan sao's then change up to 108 punches, followed by 108 tan sao's, etc. until you've reached 1,062 movements (or 9 set of 108). Then start all over again. Do this everyday at least twice a day for 3 days. Then you may be ready for tan da.

The punch and tan sao must become natural for you to do without hesitation. If you have a mook yan jong, you can do this with it, standing in front of it in YJKYM, in the center. The tan sao's can be exected against the arms (your left hand sliding up, inside the left arm when facing the jong, of the dummy, your right arm sliding up inside the jong's right arm. Do this for both the punch and the tan sao. Execute slowly and precisely, making sure your elbow stays positioned on the centerline, stopping at the immoveable elbow position.

Wow another amazing drill , o_O thank you so much for this Z , i couldnt get to read this yesterday because my ****** interenet company crashed and currently using my neighbour's pc to write this , thanks Again , my practice session starts soon again :)

won't be able to upload a video today unfortunately because of the interenet dilemma.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hmm ... yesterday's session went well ... i tried to execute both the excercises as best i could but it was my first attempt , gonna do it again tonight and gonna make a video of it, gonna make sure i do the proper horse sance and proper tansao excercise , gonna start training in about ten minutes thanks guys , you've been really supportive and inspirational. Reminds me of something i saw in a rocky movie and i quote.

"Its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward , Its not about pointing fingers and saying you couldn't do something because of him or her! Its about getting back up when you world knocks you down on your knees and tries to keep you there permanently" Sylvester stallone , i'll give it my best again today. :)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm ... yesterday's session went well ... i tried to execute both the excercises as best i could but it was my first attempt , gonna do it again tonight and gonna make a video of it, gonna make sure i do the proper horse sance and proper tansao excercise , gonna start training in about ten minutes thanks guys , you've been really supportive and inspirational. Reminds me of something i saw in a rocky movie and i quote.

"Its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward , Its not about pointing fingers and saying you couldn't do something because of him or her! Its about getting back up when you world knocks you down on your knees and tries to keep you there permanently" Sylvester stallone , i'll give it my best again today. :)

Take it easy mate , you are going to burn yourself out.
The one I gave you is just a balance exercise for kicking and leg jamming , do too much too soon and you will end up with sore hip flexors.

OP
H
Reaction score
spent quite some time falling flat on my *** the day before yesterday lol. Then i got the hang of it though ... You're right , i need to take it easy sometimes. My body Felt exhausted today so i didn't do anything , Had barbeque and soaked up some nice weather, A quiet relaxing day =D

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
spent quite some time falling flat on my *** the day before yesterday lol. Then i got the hang of it though ... You're right , i need to take it easy sometimes. My body Felt exhausted today so i didn't do anything , Had barbeque and soaked up some nice weather, A quiet relaxing day =D

When you are able to stand on one leg and have someone apply external pressure on you and you can still maintain your balance and stance then you know your on the right track.

But in regards to everyday training , you are not a machine , sometimes mentally and physically you need the rest.

I endeavour to do my three empty hand forms everday , but more often than not I might only end up doing the first one , but that is ok because I will put my full concentration into that form.

I remember my Sifu saying don't do the form when you are tired , because it will probably do more harm than good as you will probably just rush through it without concentrating properly just to get the thing over and done with .

OP
H
Reaction score
The hanging horse stance feels comfortable but i have a question Mr.mook ... when im expecting pressure do i lean into it or do i absorb it in the regular one legged stance standing straight up and i've found that a certain amount of pressure will almost always knock me over.

Secondly the tan sau technique that Mr.Z mentioned Well i did the tan sau and i read up a little on applications , on how it can be used to intercept and then turned into an attack ...like a palm strike / punch / chop is there anything i'm missing about the tan sau? Also i made a video of it but i forgot to record while doing it on my mook jong... anyway here's the link.

Last edited by a moderator:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
The hanging horse stance feels comfortable but i have a question Mr.mook ... when im expecting pressure do i lean into it or do i absorb it in the regular one legged stance standing straight up and i've found that a certain amount of pressure will almost always knock me over.

Secondly the tan sau technique that Mr.Z mentioned Well i did the tan sau and i read up a little on applications , on how it can be used to intercept and then turned into an attack ...like a palm strike / punch / chop is there anything i'm missing about the tan sau? Also i made a video of it but i forgot to record while doing it on my mook jong... anyway here's the link.

At your level don't even think about about standing on one leg and trying to absorb force.
Just use the hanging horse stance as a balance exercise .

A good stance exercise for you would be the "Palm to palm exercise" measure out your stance and sink your weight , hold both your hands up.

Get your partner to place both his palms against both of yours and exert some force , stay perfectly upright and try to absorb his force down into your stance .
Don't lean , never lean , leaning can be taken advantage of , he could latch your arm down and pull you into a elbow strike etc.

If you find that you are leaning and you probably will , get your partner to suddenly take his hands away randomly or when he detects you leaning.

You will soon find out if you are leaning or not because your weight will drop forward , him suddenly taking his force away should theoretically have no effect on your stance whatsoever

I would not worry about the Tan Sau , I would concentrate on the stance .
There is a high danger of incorrect application because you don't have a live teacher with you to supervise.

OP
H
Reaction score
At your level don't even think about about standing on one leg and trying to absorb force.
Just use the hanging horse stance as a balance exercise .

A good stance exercise for you would be the "Palm to palm exercise" measure out your stance and sink your weight , hold both your hands up.

Get your partner to place both his palms against both of yours and exert some force , stay perfectly upright and try to absorb his force down into your stance .
Don't lean , never lean , leaning can be taken advantage of , he could latch your arm down and pull you into a elbow strike etc.

If you find that you are leaning and you probably will , get your partner to suddenly take his hands away randomly or when he detects you leaning.

You will soon find out if you are leaning or not because your weight will drop forward , him suddenly taking his force away should theoretically have no effect on your stance whatsoever

I would not worry about the Tan Sau , I would concentrate on the stance .
There is a high danger of incorrect application because you don't have a live teacher with you to supervise.

The form and stance had been on my mind for a while.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

I just watched your video , get that thumb tucked in mate or it's liable to get broken by the first punch that happens to come down your centreline.

Just in solo practice drive them out at about solar plexus height , but realise that in actual application depending on the height of the opponent you will probably have to do it higher.

But overall not too shabby for a bloke that's learning off videos , I've certainly seen worse , and they were in a school
The applications of Tan Sau are endless , I'm sure there's quite a few I haven't seen before.

In our lineage they are mainly used to redirect a straight punch , one example is we might intercept on the outside of his wrist with the pinky side of our Tan Sau and strike straight through with our fingers to his throat , or curl the fingers up and change it to a punch , or my favourite a spade hand palm strike to the neck.

But if the position of the incoming punch dictates then we can just as easily go up the inside and strike from there.

At the end of the day it is just a tool to redirect force and at the same time invade the space of the opponent , once it has done it's job you can put whatever strike on the end of it that your little heart desires.

Latest Discussions