Lone wing chun practitioners need help!!!

OP
H
Reaction score
Its the headless wing chuns man. Your getting better man but most of it was cut out from the camera angle. If you were trying to show us your posture you should have done it sideways in the camera not straight on. Its hard to see that way.

LoL now all i need is my horse and i shall ride into the night of sleepy hollow and collect heads!!! muhaha (evil laughter ensues), didn't have anyone to hold the camera at 4 a.m hence 'headless' and didnt wanna move the camera phone too far away or nothing woulda been visible. DoH side angle would show it better ofcourse!

OP
H
Reaction score
Be no mistaken about it, lineage is not the determining factor of how good an WC practician you are, it's how much hard work you put into it (notice I didn't mention time ... as in years). Just concentrate on what is available to you ... now GETTT off of the computer and go put in some sweat time already. :soapbox:

The long winded answer is ... I don't know my pedigree, so I can claim being one of the many bastard sons of WC. If I have to give it an guess, I might be some how loosely related to the Cho Gar line of Mr. CWK on this forum.

Hard work , break a sweat you say man i wish i could show you my shirt right now , it was so damp a short while ago that it felt like my room was a rainforest lol, it is selfish to mention time and i agree with you and i dont care much for lineages though i just recently found out about the four and then they branch off too so i was curious. =)

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Damn the horse, you need to learn to ride the goat. Then collect heads with your feared chain punch.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hmm aight thanks though i havent found any videos of him online i have read about him a little researching lineages. :)

OP
H
Reaction score
I finally got around to recording a side view of the SNT and i hope its shows the tilt of my stance well and you guys are welcome to criticise it also i think i will upload a front view of the first part of sil lim tao to make for easeir viewing :)

here are the links:
SNT section 1 front view

SNT section 1 side view

Last edited by a moderator:

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Point your toes more inward. Tilt your pelvis more and sink into your stance. Also you fook sau is a little on the high side now. Instead of the center of your chest align with your solar plexus. But for what its worth your starting to get a little better.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree....it is looking better.

Turn feet inward to form 60 degree angle.

Sink down by bending your knees....do not let your knees go past your toes.

A good check point for posture is to put your back to the wall with heels against the baseboard...heels, hips and shoulders should all touch wall.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
One other thing, your elbow position when you form your downward X at the beginning of the form, is too close to your body. It should be at the fixed elbow position (immoveable elbow) of about 6 to 7 inches from your chest (fist and a half distance from the chest). Too close to your body and you never learn how to maintain the space needed to protect the area between your elbows forward and your body. That space is used as a buffer to understand when you need to shift, re-direct, or deflect any contact that is too overpowering. At least in our lineage. I wouldn't think it is any different in any other lines because they should know, use and understand the immoveable elbow position too.

OP
H
Reaction score
What were you doing that caused your knuckles to hurt while doing chain punching (lin wan choi)?

Well i have punching bag and i started off doing it the air but then i got into the feel of it and it seemed like it was getting easier after a few punches so i started speeding up on the punching bag making sure i retract the punch all the way back , i did around five seven and a half minute rounds of this and thats probably what caused them to hurt. Constantly punching the bag heh.

Crap i completely forgot about the immovable elbow position. Doh

OP
H
Reaction score
Also i want to add that i feel a particular muscle developing right beneath my shoulder on my back i can make it tense or relaxed but it is not that prominent right now i felt it after the punching practice today o_O

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Those are your lats. People who practice an art where you punch a lot develop them well. They are your wings so to speak. Bruce lee had huge lats.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
While on the subject of punching.....in our lineage, we don't so much pull the punching hand back as much as relax the tricep, which brings the fist back to the elbow of the other arm. If you pull the fist back you are engaging the bicep, which would make it easier for your opponent to crash through your wu sau.

OP
H
Reaction score
okay i just wanna know , if i think that i'm not makingf mistakes anymore , should i move on to the next part whilw drilling the old one?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
The beauty of WC, is it never stops...it's a continuous cycle as its name implies. Don't ever become satisfied with "good enough". Always seek to improve.
In the beginning you will see gross, dramatic improvements, but as you progress, the improvements are more subtle...but still forge ahead....

OK, down off my soap box.....to answer your question, sure, what the hell

OP
H
Reaction score
The beauty of WC, is it never stops...it's a continuous cycle as its name implies. Don't ever become satisfied with "good enough". Always seek to improve.
In the beginning you will see gross, dramatic improvements, but as you progress, the improvements are more subtle...but still forge ahead....

OK, down off my soap box.....to answer your question, sure, what the hell

*Bounces up and down* WOOT!!!111!!11one ....Alright i get what you're saying i know my Section 1 has weaknesses so i'm not gonna do section 2 without doing section 1 first , gonna try to always learn and i'm happy i'm not the one part virgin anymore hehehehe

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
*Bounces up and down* WOOT!!!111!!11one ....Alright i get what you're saying i know my Section 1 has weaknesses so i'm not gonna do section 2 without doing section 1 first , gonna try to always learn and i'm happy i'm not the one part virgin anymore hehehehe

How long have you been doing the first set of SNT? 2 - 3 weeks? Continue to do the first set. . . . . . for 6 months. Traditionally, the sets were done 1 at a time for 4 months before going to the next set, and it was added to the other set(s) . The reason I say 6 months is because you don't have a sifu directly training you, you need to work extra hard at it. So 2 extra months over the normal length of time before moving to the next set should be just about right.

See, already, he's wanting to go to something more advanced and doesn't even have the first set of SNT perfect. You need to take your time. The beauty in the journey is not the arrival, but the trek to where you are going.

P.S. Wow, I just noticed, I'm a Black Belt in martialtalk! ! ! When did that happen? Just like everything else I do, I just work at whatever needs to be done and poof, next thing I know, I've arrived. But, Black Belt only means I've gotten past beginner stage, now time to work harder and climb the ladder.