Little Kids and Hitting

OP
bugatabugata

bugatabugata

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think the little dude's on vacation or something, because he hasn't been to practice for the past two days. However, I did mention to the Master that he's been acting out (no specifics -- in general). He said he'd noticed and that he'll handle it, so hopefully my shins' structural integrity shall be compromised no more :) (I have no problem sticking up for myself with adults, but have no clue on how to "lay down the law" with kids, without feeling like a jerk, so this TKD business is turning out to be a learning experience in some unexpected ways...)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But see this is a common mistake it is not your place to talk or correct.. PERIOD... it is your place to make the Master aware of said problem and for him to fix it with his Black Belt. Talk to the instructor believe me if I saw a under belt telling my BB what to do I would have to have a talk about rank structure in the dojaang. Please communicate with the Master over things like this.

My only concern with this advice - which I don't necessarily disagree with for the most part - is that this behavior has already established itself as a regular pattern. A head instructor or master instructor who doesn't see this happening and who hasn't already done something to end it is out of touch with his students and his school, IMVHO. I'm amazed it hasn't been handled by a higher rank already.

**EDITED TO ADD** It could be they HAVE noticed it and are waiting to see how it's handled. Hard to say, but I can't imagine it's a good idea to allow the teen to continue. **END EDIT**

From a self-defense and self-respect standpoint, this could be considered good modelling. Besides, the master instructor isn't going to be around to handle all the problems ... at least, apparently, at this school.

Last edited:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the little dude's on vacation or something, because he hasn't been to practice for the past two days. However, I did mention to the Master that he's been acting out (no specifics -- in general). He said he'd noticed and that he'll handle it, so hopefully my shins' structural integrity shall be compromised no more :) (I have no problem sticking up for myself with adults, but have no clue on how to "lay down the law" with kids, without feeling like a jerk, so this TKD business is turning out to be a learning experience in some unexpected ways...)

Any more news?

OP
bugatabugata

bugatabugata

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, he's mostly fallen in line. I'm pretty sure the Master must have talked to him. Also, I finally had enough and went after him kind of hard in sparring once (I mean, not to hurt him, but just to show him that I mean business.) Used the pointy knee thing :) He looked surprised at first, but caught on pretty quickly and has been keeping his distance since. As I said -- don't think he's a bad kid, just doesn't quite grasp the concept that grownups and peers are to be treated differently. (He's not mean to his buddies -- they just roughhouse.)

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with everything. Talk to the kid. If that doesn't work, talk to the instructor. If that doesn't work:

girl-duct-taped-to-wall.jpg

Andrew

White Belt
Reaction score
sounds like this kid has a case of undisciplinary skills, and needs a lecture on it from your sensei. If that doesn't work then all hope is lost I'm afraid.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good to hear that he's realizing things.

Even when he's amongst his peers (the pre-teens and teens), this isn't acceptable behavior in the dojang, much less by a yudanja.

Latest Discussions