Left-Right

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson

And again: why is right-handedness built into kenpo at the level of basics, of forms and sets, of ritual and salutation as well as (for some, not all) techniques? I'd argue that it is because this enables a student, from early on, to adapt a tech like Obscure Wing (as one poster remarked) for a left-sided grab.
[/B]

Well, the reason I do both sides, (and my instructor doesn't require it, I do it on my own) is that when you need to adapt a technique like the one above...and I haven't learned any kenpo techniques for a left sided rear one hand grab, only the one from the right side.... I'd rather have adapted them in the studio, so I know what I'm doing.

Personally, I practice my techniques to improve my reaction time and limit my think time to a minimum. I try to train myself to the point where I react first and think later. However, this theory only works (and it does work, I've been there) if you've practiced things in the right situation. In the test situation in my previous post, if I hadn't practiced obscure wing on the other side, I probably would have stood there for a second and thought about it. Not only would that have looked stupid, but more importantly, if you have to take a second to think about something in a street situation, that'll probably be the last second of your life.

I don't always do all the techniques reversed. I do them where I see that the left side attack isn't well covered. We have techniques for left hand punches, so I don't always reverse those. We don't have many techniques for a grab with the right hand (most people will grab lefty and hit righty) other than handshake techniques, and we don't have a lot of techniques for opposite hand pushes. Those are the techniques I concentrate on doing the opposite side of.

Like I said earlier, I'd rather take the time to adapt a technique in the studio and have a plan, than go into a street situation and have to adapt in the street. Studio is a much safer place to learn.

Respectfully,

Nightingale

R

Ronin

I've always been under the belief that it's better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it. That is my opinion on this left/right debate. Professor Kenpo believes it to be a waste of time. I believe it to be just merely another training drill to become that much better of a student. Further more thats like me saying as a cop, whats the use of learning how to shoot and operate my gun with my opposite hand. Because someday I may need that extra training. All it is a greater opportunity to do the art we love. We all know that there are many great martial artisits out there however, there are even more bad ones than good ones out there who are poisoning the martial arts community. I just want to be known for being a versatile kenpo student. Again I never ment to upset anyone on my first response. Theres a lot of people in here who tear apart anyones opinions if they are not in tune with their own. I think we should get along and not be so offended with what others post. Excuse me for my writing style and mistakes I'm a kenpo student not an english professor. All the best in Kenpo!!

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Here are several benefits that I have experienced either physically or perceived ...

* Increased reaction time
* Increased physical mobility
* Increased coordination
* Greater understanding of Self Defense Techniques
* Increased confidence
* An arsenal of drills without leaving the system
* Increased focus on movements
* Smoother transitions between movements
* A greater sense of completeness thru knowing
oneself to a greater degree
* An increased understanding of Master Key actions
* A clear increase in ambidextrous movements
and others

I have much more class than to make rude comments like that.

:asian:

Dennis, these are all good reasons for training Kenpo, but not L/R specific other than the ambidextrous one, but that falls in line with symmetry. A greater sense of completeness, would you explain that for me? How would you get an increased understanding of Master Key actions by simply doing them on the opposite side?

As for you being to classy to be rude, hmmm, I'd disagree with your comment . Me, I make no bones about about being rude or obnoxious, in fact, I take pride in it, and as I've said in the past, at least if I'm gonna give it to ya, you'll see the knife. I am my own man and hide behind no barriers and if you don't like what I say, you can do something about it, or ignore it, either way is good with me.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

R

Ronin

mental note to self: Kill Professor Kenpo actions: rude and unwarranted comments to senior kenpo members.

K

Kirk

Please, keep the discussion polite and respectful.

-Kirk
-MT Mod-

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it getting hostile in here or what....

When people refer to killing one another I think it is time to leave the thread alone....:asian:

eternalwhitebelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Everybody place your bets!!!!!!!

I have seen both of you move. No contest.

It will be quick and fatal.

So long Clyde.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

B

brianhunter

I can not believe that people are being "beaten up" for having ideas outside the norm. I thought that is what kenpo is all about, is thinking outside the box or outside the norm.......If you agreed with someone 100 percent of the time you are not being your own person and you are not properly expressing yourself in spirit or in life.......its called brown nosing. To come on here and say you will "kill" someone because of the simple fact that they disagreed with someone is wrong. I dont care what the rank is or who they are disagreeing with. Last time I raised the colors at work they where Red White and Blue not red with a little splash of Yellow! This should be what kenpo is all about the right to practice the art the way they see fit and disagree when they honestly object. Sometimes people can agree to disagree and I think alot of us (myself included) shoudl practice this more often. Stating you will "kill" someone because they do not agree or you object to their statements Is close minded and absolutely against what being a martial artist is all about. No Im not a senior in the art by any means, and no Im not even a black belt, but these qualifications do not automatically validate any point that will come out of your mouth. Clyde and Mr. C can agree to disagree on their own. Some of you guys are just too entirely eager to jump off the bridge because you watched everyone else do it. I respect both men greatly and I think some of you need to be more objective.

R

Ronin

Hey guys it appears my comment which was ment to be a joke has blown up out of control. I never meant any harm to PK just saying I disagree with his thoughts. I forget that with this computer lifestyle that comments I write can be taken literally. For this I am sorry to have offended you all. People on here that do know me realize I am a wise ***. So again for anyone whos feelings I have hurt I'm deeply sorry and bow to you with respect.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
A greater sense of completeness, would you explain that for me?

I have felt (and students have related to me and said the same) that it makes them feel like they know the "front and back" and have greater confidence and feel like you understand the movement more completely training this way. Granted it takes a while until you feel more comfortable but like anything it just takes time.

How would you get an increased understanding of Master Key actions by simply doing them on the opposite side?

Well, It could be just me, however, after doing the movements for as long as I have and after hours of careful examination you realize the duplication of major actions no matter which way you step or which of the 2 arms that you use. There are only a certain amount of options available. It was a help to me in that understanding.

As for you being to classy to be rude, hmmm, I'd disagree with your comment .

Well, you don't know me well enough but :rofl: I would agree that I do have the ability to be rude! :rofl: I do try to be civil on these public forums and respect others positions and opinions most of the time even if I disagree with them.

Me, I make no bones about about being rude or obnoxious, in fact, I take pride in it, and as I've said in the past, at least if I'm gonna give it to ya, you'll see the knife.

I'm sure everyone received that message.

I am my own man and hide behind no barriers and if you don't like what I say, you can do something about it, or ignore it, either way is good with me.

I certainly didn't challenge You, your manhood, or said that you hid behind an barriers, so I really don't understand your comment.
:rofl:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Keep the discussion polite and respectful or this thread will be locked.

Cthulhu
-MT Mod.-

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by eternalwhitebelt

Everybody place your bets!!!!!!!

I have seen both of you move. No contest.

It will be quick and fatal.

So long Clyde.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What have you been smoking?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

W

warriorsage

I'm a big fan of trying to do everything both handed. I can play ping pong, throw a football and play basketball fairly well southpaw. Still, I don't know if forcing students to do all tech's both ways in a necessity. For me, YES, but for everyone, the jury is still out.

OK, here's my question: If you have a lstudent who is a lefty, wouldn't it be in his/her best interest to allow them to do the opposite of the technique? Aren't they being cheated out of the opportunity to "put their best foot forward?"

Or for a righty, how many techniques do we have that use a left inward block to the inside of a left punch...or a left extended outward to the inside of a right punch? I ask these questions for righties because I'm picturing myself standing in such a way that an opponent may attack from my left flank with a punch that won't allow me the angle to do, let's say "Thundering Hammers" or won't give me the time to step back into a right neutral bow. It would seem that if I was well versed with the motion contained in "Sword of Destruction" from the opposite side, then I could respond quicker, more naturally with this type of motion.

Any ideas?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My question is, if you always do something with the same arm, what do you do when that arm is out? (broken, previous injury, injured in the existing conflict?)

I think doing things on both sides is good, in that it opens options to you.

R

rmcrobertson

It isn't a question of, "always doing things with the same arm." It's a series of questions about: a) doesn't kenpo privilege the right side, b) is there a reasonable ground for this, c) how does our tendency to boredom influence our "discovery," of "newer and better," training methods, d) what is the best way to bring others along with us, e) what are the advantages to all this supposed ambidexterity, f) what proofs can we offer for advantages on any side of this discussion, g) what in the tradition of kenpo is right-sided (as opposed to right-handed), h) doesn't the ordinary course of training bring the left along with it, in its own good time.

Thanks,
Robert

W

warriorsage

Robert and Eternalwhitebelt, I also agree to the last question, but again, what about the left-handed person? Should we make that person wait for the "eventually" that we all speak of, when their left hand is finally taken into consideration?

Hypothetically speaking, say you had a new or prospective student and you were taking him/her through some basics and went on to teach Delayed Sword and Sword of Destruction. And let's say you mentioned how these techniques allow them to work off the front side for strength/speed/convenience/proximity to targets/etc. At this point, what if (uh oh) the student asks, "Well I'm left handed...couldn't I do DS for the left attack and SOD for the right attack?" What is the hypothetical response? I look forward to the answers.

~whip

Latest Discussions