Left-Right

eternalwhitebelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is no left and right handed. You do what you have been taught. Is crossing talons a rigt or left handed tech? Which hand does most of the work?

I thought we were all getting along?

R

Ronin

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

My question is, if you always do something with the same arm, what do you do when that arm is out? (broken, previous injury, injured in the existing conflict?)

I think doing things on both sides is good, in that it opens options to you.
thats why i believe training both hands is very practical and should be taught everywhere. As a cop i've had a friend shot in his primary arm and thank God he learned and trained to use and operate his weapon with his support or opposite hand. it saved his life. what can it really hurt to practice both sides??? im not saying anyone who doesnt is a bad martial artist. But i think it would be just more practice to get great.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo

at least if I'm gonna give it to ya, you'll see the knife.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Clyde,

I was checking out the form 8 videos and no where in there did Mr. Tatum mention anything about having to let the person "see the knife"......you might want to double check with Mr. T.

But I bet if you trained both sides you could hold it in the other hand and the person wouldn't have to see it all....LOL

Thank you both for the enlightening discussion...nothing like bringing a little "martial" back into martial arts...

jb:asian:

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Maybe we should say initial technique - - - then mirror image? :)LOL

:asian:

Sounds good to me- since we've had that debate eveyone should have that understanding. Such a simple concept I would have thought that people would be glad for the insights... Or at least challenge the concept of mirror image along with opposites and reverses.:confused:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
some techniques don't really need an opposite side, though, like circling wing, or crashing wings or striking serpent's head. The attacks are two hand attacks and there's no way to reverse the attack, therefore there isn't any need to reverse the technique except in the case of a handicap or injury. However, on techniques like grip of death, locking horns, obscure wing, obscure sword, and the punch and kick techniques, I always reverse the technique, because the attack could come from the other side.

eternalwhitebelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

some techniques don't really need an opposite side, though, like circling wing, or crashing wings or striking serpent's head. The attacks are two hand attacks and there's no way to reverse the attack, therefore there isn't any need to reverse the technique except in the case of a handicap or injury. However, on techniques like grip of death, locking horns, obscure wing, obscure sword, and the punch and kick techniques, I always reverse the technique, because the attack could come from the other side.

If you are looking at it from all three points of view, you might change your mind. Now I think I am arguing for the other side! But seriously, If you take multiple opponents into account and your environement into account, then moving in a certain direction may not be possible or advantagous. If you do circling wing or crashing wings and you have another oppenent at 3 o'clock you may be in trouble. Just food for thought. I agree with the fact that doing techs. on both sides will only make you better. My argument is that it is unrealistic to expect people to put that much time into it. Most students I see struggle to just understand the principals on one side. In time if they stick with it the later forms begin to work both sides and I find that the problem kind of taks care of it self. Most good black belts I know can do most techs. on the opposite side anyway just because it is built into the system with all of the mirror images, opposites, and reverses, and what ifs that we get into. It doesn't really matter but it is fun to debate it though.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
Some techniques like "Striking Serpents Head" doesn't really need an opposite side, except in the case of a handicap or injury.

Well, you are on the right track but.... be sure to take in ALL considerations not just a couple ......

For example.........

What about Environmental obstructions..... (Environment issue)
What about if his head is on the right or left side of your head (Range issue)
What if he has you bending to one side or the other.... (Position issue)
What if he has your "base" arm pinned to the wall ..... (Maneuvers issue)

J

jeffkyle

Is there anyone that knows of a technique that deals with a headlock from the left side. That means they are on your right side, as opposed to your left side, and they are grabbing you with their left hand. Just curious, I can't think of any...:)

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But I have found that when we do these kinds of chokes I usually end up finishing with Grip of Death regardless of the side the choke is being applied to. Plus in short 3 you do grip of death to the right instead of the left, so I think it's one of those techniques that just works from either side without much thought.

J

jeffkyle

I am actually more inclined to do Grip of Death on the left side anyway. I always want to turn my head to the right instead of the left, which starts me in the direction of moving to my right.
But being the lefty that i am, I tend to be backwards sometimes.
:)

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by jeffkyle

I tend to be backwards sometimes.

No comment......I guess in saying no comment I am making a comment though??

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Klondike93

But I have found that when we do these kinds of chokes I usually end up finishing with Grip of Death regardless of the side the choke is being applied to. Plus in short 3 you do grip of death to the right instead of the left, so I think it's one of those techniques that just works from either side without much thought.

It's not Grip of Death on the Left Side as much as it looks like it from what I've been taught. Look at the techniques prior and you'll see the other applications.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo

It's not Grip of Death on the Left Side as much as it looks like it from what I've been taught. Look at the techniques prior and you'll see the other applications.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

That is my thinking too!

Latest Discussions