Leaving soon after starting

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I posted a thread about schools in certain Dallas, tx area but for right now I will be working in Plano but it is a temporary position and will be done in december so what I was wondering is starting a martial art that you know that you are more than likely going to leave rather soon. I really enjoy martial arts and just want to get back to training while working in Plano but once its over it is too far of a drive for me to keep going back to plano for just a martial arts class. So how would you feel about this?

Thanks in Advance

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lets say the Art is X.

If You learn X at Plano, explain to Them that Youre just there on work, and You wish to keep up training.
When You go back to Dallas, continue learning X, in Dallas, with Your Training in Plano as just a bit of additional experience.

I had to do that once, and had a good bit of Training. They understood on My end - If They dont accept it in Plano, just seek out another outlet. Or just hit the Gym if all else fails. But Im pretty sure They wont mind. Youll probably just have to pay a fraction of the membership costs and the class fees. Or if Theyre from the same organisation You normally train under, just the class fees. Who knows! But find out, it cant hurt.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree that it won't hurt to train in any available art, even if it isn't your preferred art. All learning should be good. Better of course if it is the art you wish to learn. But I would advise to try to stay in shape with some art no matter, and keep the learning back in your mind when you return to your preferred art.

OP
M

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I go to the gym regularly already. I used to train and compete in MMA so staying in shape is something I already do. Many of the the martial art schools in the Plano area aren't really something close to schools where I live so I'll probably have to do something different when I am done working in Plano.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I go to the gym regularly already. I used to train and compete in MMA so staying in shape is something I already do. Many of the the martial art schools in the Plano area aren't really something close to schools where I live so I'll probably have to do something different when I am done working in Plano.
Will You be able to stay similar in principle? Such as, learning Grappling in Plano, then Grappling back in Dallas? Substitute Grappling with Striking for the other option, of course.

OP
M

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Will You be able to stay similar in principle? Such as, learning Grappling in Plano, then Grappling back in Dallas? Substitute Grappling with Striking for the other option, of course.

Thats more or less what I was thinking I would have to do. There is a Goshin Jujutsu Place in Plano that I was looking at and while it is not straight grappling I would still be able to relate with my background in grappling and when I had to leave I could continue roughly, in principle, what I was learning in Plano.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I posted a thread about schools in certain Dallas, tx area but for right now I will be working in Plano but it is a temporary position and will be done in december so what I was wondering is starting a martial art that you know that you are more than likely going to leave rather soon. I really enjoy martial arts and just want to get back to training while working in Plano but once its over it is too far of a drive for me to keep going back to plano for just a martial arts class. So how would you feel about this?

Thanks in Advance

Start training. No excuses. If you move or leave, then find another place and continue training. Even if the art is different, you'll have gained something and perhaps more importantly, you'll have a base in perseverance.

If martial arts is about one thing, it's perseverance. People don't have much of it these days, and it's the key to success in any martial arts system.

If you don't start now, you won't start ever. You'll just keep finding reasons not to do it. I don't mean you personally, I mean people in general. But it might apply to you.

Start now, or suck.

Those are your choices.

OP
M

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Start training. No excuses. If you move or leave, then find another place and continue training. Even if the art is different, you'll have gained something and perhaps more importantly, you'll have a base in perseverance.

If martial arts is about one thing, it's perseverance. People don't have much of it these days, and it's the key to success in any martial arts system.

If you don't start now, you won't start ever. You'll just keep finding reasons not to do it. I don't mean you personally, I mean people in general. But it might apply to you.

Start now, or suck.

Those are your choices.

Not sure if you read my earlier post but I'm not new to the martial arts. I used to train and compete in MMA and the reason for quitting was moving after college. I know for a fact I will begin training again that is not question but was just wanting input on my situation. While I did train and compete in MMA I am looking more for an actual martial art not just MMA or bjj for that matter. A big reason for this is that in Dallas they are fairly expensive and I also would like to learn something a little more traditional

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure if you read my earlier post but I'm not new to the martial arts. I used to train and compete in MMA and the reason for quitting was moving after college. I know for a fact I will begin training again that is not question but was just wanting input on my situation. While I did train and compete in MMA I am looking more for an actual martial art not just MMA or bjj for that matter. A big reason for this is that in Dallas they are fairly expensive and I also would like to learn something a little more traditional

No, I did not see your earlier post, sorry. I was giving my usual 'newbie' speech. Many newbies wander in to MT, ask about what art they should train in, talk about how far away it is to the nearest training center of any kind, give lots of excuses why they should not train, and ask for advice they are not going to take anyway. I just try to head 'em off at the pass and perhaps shock a few into actually doing something.

Train or suck. That's all there is. Waiting is sucking, and waiting short time is the same as waiting long time; it means NOT training. Talking about training and not training is sucking also.

Sounds like you have it handled. My apologies.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Thanks in Advance
Take an art that has high portability. Judo is among the best for portability, but BJJ, Kendo, and a few others fit the mold too.

TKD would seem a natural, but there are too many TKD orgs and they don't always recognize each other's ranks, training, etc.

Judo.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
M

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Take an art that has high portability. Judo is among the best for portability, but BJJ, Kendo, and a few others fit the mold too.

TKD would seem a natural, but there are too many TKD orgs and they don't always recognize each other's ranks, training, etc.

Judo.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Originally I was looking for judo because I have a background in grappling already and they are normally fairly cheap compared to other martial arts. I've looked for some in the area but haven't found one close enough yet but am going to keep looking.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Mcmoon

On your other thread I posted some schools that were in the AKATO organization that teach American Karate/TKD, Mr. Cox's school (class) blends shotokan (inspired) karate with jujtisu (I likened it to Wa Do ryu, but it is not Wa Do ryu but is a similar concept of blending). Sensei Cox is very good and is a pretty high level of instruction, only teaches adults, teaches the bunkai (applications to the kata moves) etc. etc. I think he has a class on Sunday's in Richardson (which is closer to Dallas than Plano and nearer to Plano than Dallas).

To be honest if I found a good school in Plano I would drive from your area in Dallas to take good instruction from a good school. Back in the 80's I use to drive from Plano to Richardson to go to Demetrius's school which is where I met my instructor and then I started training at his home dojo in Garland. In order to find a JKD Kali class I use to travel from N. Ft. Worth to Arlington and work 3rd shift in order to attend. So I can't go along with this do I train or not in a school that I like (or study an art) that is in one city and I live in another. Believe me I've been there and done that and it is a pain but my enjoyment of the martial arts is worth it to me and I wouldn't give it a second thought. Not finding a school or art you like is one thing, but wondering if you should travel or not, sorry give me a break.

Coming from a MMA background (not meaning to dish MMAs out there) maybe finding a good school or a good instructor isn't as important. It is more about you, your conditioning, your fighting ability, work ethic etc. etc. However a more traditional approach or school in the martial arts it is the instructor and method (style) organization etc, etc. that is important and the individual conforms to the art (so to speak). So to me driving a distance to attend class is not an issue. For instance a couple of weeks ago it took me almost 2 hours to get to the Cooper center for the AKATO Kobudo class for a drive that normally takes me an 45 min-1 hour due to Tex DOT shutting down HWY114 and LBJ (HWY635) and yet class was still worth it. It is what it is. I know traffic is poor but Central (HWY 75) isn't near as bad as LBJ now. I recommend that while you are in Plano, Richardson you check out local schools and see if you find one you like and not worry about the drive later. (I don't have to make the drive from N. Ft Worth to Dallas now but once a month, I would not make that drive now to attend class but that is not what you are talking about, going from Dallas to Plano.)

I recommend you to check out the AKATO website and see what schools are in the area, there is another instructor who teaches a jujitsu style (Mr. Etthington (?)) who is in the organization who might be nearer to you in Dallas. I suggest this because AKATO is a loosely based organization that have a variety of instructors who are of high quality teaching various methods of martial arts in your area (Plano, Richardson, Garland, Dallas, etc. etc.).

In closing while I wouldn't recommend starting a style only to leave it a few months later (unless I was pretty skilled in a previous or another art form and I was only doing this to further educate myself). I don't think that is really an issue in your case, I believe you could start at a school and stay there if you liked even if you lived in another city, but you don't want to travel. It is a mind set issue. How important is your training, how much do you desire to learn the martial arts? What are you going to sacrifice to do it? I'm thinking that sitting in an car (even stuck in traffic) being cooled by the A/C, jamming to the radio, is much easier than getting my arm locked in a painful hold, busting my a$$ trying to learn a new kata or getting out of the way of a incoming stick feed, or getting thrown over someones shoulder etc. etc.

Don't pass up an opportunity to train because of a drive.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Depends on how badly you want to learn a particular thing. I drive from Blue Ridge to Richardson (45 miles each way) every Monday to train with our Mugai ryu study group, but the next closest group is in Virginia. :) It seems to me that you are looking at it more along the lines of going to the gym. If you can find a decent gym close to you, then you can go there. However, good martial arts training is a little bit more involved than your local 24 Hour Fitness. A good martial arts class requires a good instructor, with good background knowledge, and good students. It also involves developing a good relationship with your instructor so he can determine how best to teach you what you need to learn. Finding all of this within walking distance would be a tremendous stroke of luck.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on how badly you want to learn a particular thing. I drive from Blue Ridge to Richardson (45 miles each way) every Monday to train with our Mugai ryu study group, but the next closest group is in Virginia. :) It seems to me that you are looking at it more along the lines of going to the gym. If you can find a decent gym close to you, then you can go there. However, good martial arts training is a little bit more involved than your local 24 Hour Fitness. A good martial arts class requires a good instructor, with good background knowledge, and good students. It also involves developing a good relationship with your instructor so he can determine how best to teach you what you need to learn. Finding all of this within walking distance would be a tremendous stroke of luck.

Paul

I couldn't have said it better, you are absolutely right here.

Mcmoon

I just thought of a Wa Do ryu school near Custer and 15th street in Plano, that you might be interested in. It is located in the shopping center. I pass by it every time I go to Plano to visit my parents. Anyway if I remember right, I researched the school a few years ago and it turns out that (I believe) the head instructor's instructor at one time was with a dojo mate of mine when I studied Wa Do in Waco back in the 80's. Anyway I believe that later on he (the head instructor) got hooked up with an European Wa Do group so it should be a pretty traditional MA school and not a day care center.

With your grappling background the mix of karate and jujitsu might be a nice fit for you.

OP
M

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Paul

I couldn't have said it better, you are absolutely right here.

Mcmoon

I just thought of a Wa Do ryu school near Custer and 15th street in Plano, that you might be interested in. It is located in the shopping center. I pass by it every time I go to Plano to visit my parents. Anyway if I remember right, I researched the school a few years ago and it turns out that (I believe) the head instructor's instructor at one time was with a dojo mate of mine when I studied Wa Do in Waco back in the 80's. Anyway I believe that later on he (the head instructor) got hooked up with an European Wa Do group so it should be a pretty traditional MA school and not a day care center.

With your grappling background the mix of karate and jujitsu might be a nice fit for you.

I understand that finding a good school and art involves developing relationships with the instructors as well as the other students and honestly I am not opposed to traveling a little distance myself but I am married and my wife does want me to train because I do enjoy it but she does not want me gone all the time which is the issue with traveling too far. Also to what you said about mma being more about me and my abilities; my coach, trainer, instructor or whatever you want to call him actually had a fairly traditional approach to mma and was a 6th degree in judo and believed more on the technique and how well you knew it than how many things you knew so it wasnt just go in and train to get in better shape and step in a cage.

Also I am aware that good martial arts training is a little more involved than a 24 hour fitness gym and expect to learn techniques, the philosophy of the style, and building relationships with the people involved in it as well. I can keep in shape on my own time so while I expect to get somewhat of a workout it is not my priority when choosing a school.

I do value your opinion and want to thank you for your input and might check out some of the places you have mentioned but please do not mistake my not being able to travel and my past training to be any indication to my dedication and willingness to learn martial arts.

P.S. while I do enjoy mma very much and may in the future compete again I want to be a martial artist and not just a cage fighter

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand that finding a good school and art involves developing relationships with the instructors as well as the other students and honestly I am not opposed to traveling a little distance myself but I am married and my wife does want me to train because I do enjoy it but she does not want me gone all the time which is the issue with traveling too far. Also to what you said about mma being more about me and my abilities; my coach, trainer, instructor or whatever you want to call him actually had a fairly traditional approach to mma and was a 6th degree in judo and believed more on the technique and how well you knew it than how many things you knew so it wasnt just go in and train to get in better shape and step in a cage.

Also I am aware that good martial arts training is a little more involved than a 24 hour fitness gym and expect to learn techniques, the philosophy of the style, and building relationships with the people involved in it as well. I can keep in shape on my own time so while I expect to get somewhat of a workout it is not my priority when choosing a school.

I do value your opinion and want to thank you for your input and might check out some of the places you have mentioned but please do not mistake my not being able to travel and my past training to be any indication to my dedication and willingness to learn martial arts.

P.S. while I do enjoy mma very much and may in the future compete again I want to be a martial artist and not just a cage fighter

Mcmoon

Thanks for your reply and that sheds some light on the issue. OK so there are family issues involved, I totally understand that area of concern. I hope you understand that I was speaking in a general terms about your prior training in the MMAs and meant no offense to you or your instructor.

Since you have already established a training routine to keep you in shape you might consider taking an art like karate/TKD, Iaido, or something that can be practiced at home in the back yard, or at a near by park without the need of a training partner. That way you could train at the school of your liking but not everyday so you can keep the wife happy.

Lets face it, from the sounds of your background you can fight, you probably could handle yourself in a self defense situation, and it sounds as if you have a desire to learn and a good work ethic. So I would put off arts off to the side that require training partners (if your wife has issues with you training or traveling) for instance as much as I enjoy the FMAs I believe you need training partners and the more the better. Olympic style TKD you need training partners, likewise for kendo (kumdo etc. etc), same with judo. Karate, Kung Fu, TKD, Kenpo, etc. etc. while training partners are good and needed you still can work out on your own without the instant feedback of a training partner.

However you could pick out a school that only teaches 1-3 days a week and then you wouldn't be gone as much either. If you pick out a school that does that then maybe you could open your search pattern a little more.

Once again thanks for explaining a bit more about your situation and what you are looking for, it makes it much easier to give advice about.

Mark

Latest Discussions