Dallas Martial Arts

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good martial arts schools in Dallas, tx around shady brook ln or around the northpark mall area? I have googled plenty of schools but what I'm wanting to know is if any are any good and reputable and at a reasonable price.

Thanks in Advance

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It will be good if someone can give you advice. But remember it will be from their perspective. You need to get out and visit on you own.

Also, do you have a particular MA in mind? That will help get you answers.

OP
M

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While I do have certain MA in mind I am willing to train in something else as long as it is a good school......Like if I wanted to do judo but there was a really good kenpo school close and the judo school was not really known for good instruction than I am more than willing to go to the kenpo school. My main thoughts are is that what every I begin to study I want it to be taught well.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sonny Puzikas teaches Systema out of Dallas. http://www.russianmartialart.com/main.php?page=affiliates&loc=us&sta=TX
I can recommend training with Sonny without any reservations. The training is not for everyone, no belts, no trophies, but Sonny has real world high level experience and is an excellent instructor.
The forge http://youtu.be/gM2u_-p14G0
The archives 1 http://youtu.be/gDO9CyjkmHw
The archives part 2 http://youtu.be/LCasNAsBQWU

Regards
Brian King

Edited to add. Disclosure, Sonny is a good friend and someone I consider one of my instructors in spite of his choices of music.

BayaniWarrior

White Belt
Reaction score
Glad to see you are interested in taking up a martial art in the Dallas area. I am starting up a Training Group in the Dallas-Fort Worth area in the Filipino martial art of Kali (also known as Arnis or Escrima).

I am going to be in the DFW area teaching a Five-Day series of classes in Kali in August 2012, each day covering a different topic of the Filipino fighting arts. All the information for my upcoming Five-Day series of classes is at my website. Simply visit http://www.bayaniwarrior.com/dallasfortworthgroup.htm. It will give you all the information you need right there. :)

I look forward to working with you someday and I wish you the best of luck on your martial arts journey!

Respects,
Guro Mike Pana
Chief Instructor Bayani Warrior Group LLC.
www.bayaniwarrior.com

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good martial arts schools in Dallas, tx around shady brook ln or around the northpark mall area? I have googled plenty of schools but what I'm wanting to know is if any are any good and reputable and at a reasonable price.

Thanks in Advance

I'm not close to where you are describing (I'm in far north FT Worth/Denton Country line), however I know of several instructors in that North Dallas area.

1) My karate instructor teaches out of the Cooper Fitness Center (Preston and Forest Ln area) (been with him 30 years) so I can vouch for his and the instructors that help him teach his program.

2) I know of another instructor (Mr. Cox) who teaches up in Richardson (off of Arapaho and Custer) who teaches a blend of Shotokan (inspired karate) and Jujitsu who is very good. Again I've known the instructor for many years and he is very good and an excellent instructor.

3) Mr. Keith Yates has a organization AKATO http://a-kato.org/ that is based in that area, so there are several schools that teach American Karate/TKD and I have worked out with, competed against their students, etc. etc. many of these instructors and they are all good people and well rounded martial artists. Many of these instructors teach part time out of local Rec Centers/YMCAs so while the instruction is good the costs are low.

All of these instructors I've known for many years, trained with them, taken instruction from them etc. etc. and all are associated with the AKATO group. The good thing with the AKATO group is that there are variations within the organization such as Kenpo schools, American TKD schools, Japanese inspired karate (like my instructor and Mr. Cox), even those like me who also teach other arts like jujitsu and the FMAs. AKATO has a pretty open policy to educating their instructors (with continuing education classes and courses for the instructors) so they are inclusive instead of restrictive or having a closed door mindset. This is what I meant by the instructors being well rounded over all. Plus many of these instructors help out at different schools and different locations so again there is common bond between them (as in no in fighting amongst them) so I would recommend that you might check out the AKATO website (to see if there is art or school you might be interested in and go from there).

I teach in Roanoke TX at a Rec. Center. I teach American Karate/TKD and Modern Arnis, so if you are interested in an FMA school I can recommend an instructor over there who is in the Plano/Allen area but I would have to get in contact with them as I don't know if they still have a school or not. I can't vouch for many of the FMA instructors in the Dallas area because I don't know many of the instructors (personally) or how they teach (this is not to say they aren't good at what they do, I just don't know them on the same level I know of the instructors in the AKATO group).

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends upon what you are looking for. In your area, there is a jujutsu club that operates out of the SMU campus that has excellent instruction ... http://www.shinyokai.com/Dojos_GendaiBushi.htm

I second this post.

If you are looking for good traditional instruction in jujitsu (OK I'm not a jujitsu stylist, so what do I know about traditional jujitsu instruction) I can vouch for this club and for sensei Robbins instruction. I've known sensei Robbins for 20+ years (he sat on my 1st dan test) and we use to train with the club on Saturdays (the American TKD club). I use to train with sensei Threadgil too at SMU in the same classes and he was very good as well. Even took some classes in the jujitsu when they started teaching it (not but a class or two or three maybe) but it wasn't something I could do. The instruction was excellent I just couldn't take the falls. These instructors were good back then, 20+ years later I believe they would be much better now.

Hope this helps
Mark

BayaniWarrior

White Belt
Reaction score
I definitely agree with pgsmith's post as well. While being open to different martial arts is a good thing, it may also help to know what your goals are. Are you looking to learn self-defense? Are you looking to get in good shape? Are you looking for competition? Is it a mix of all three? These are just a few questions to consider.

By knowing exactly what you are looking for, your search for a martial arts program will be far quicker and easier. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you around the DFW area!

Respects,
Guro Mike Pana
http://www.bayaniwarrior.com/dallasfortworthgroup.htm

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I definitely agree with pgsmith's post as well. While being open to different martial arts is a good thing, it may also help to know what your goals are. Are you looking to learn self-defense? Are you looking to get in good shape? Are you looking for competition? Is it a mix of all three? These are just a few questions to consider.

By knowing exactly what you are looking for, your search for a martial arts program will be far quicker and easier. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you around the DFW area!

Respects,
Guro Mike Pana

McMoon

I answered in response to your original post about good schools "but what I'm wanting to know is if any are any good and reputable and at a reasonable price", but I was wondering too, like pgsmith and Gruo Pana what arts are YOU interested in? What are YOUR goals? What are YOUR needs in a school etc. etc. besides say location and price? Than I might be of more help if you are truly interested.

Guro Pana
Are you relocating to the DFW area? Or is this going to be a training group? Just wondering. I checked out some of your U Tube videos from your web site. Your material looked pretty good.

Mark

BayaniWarrior

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Mark. Thank you and I'm glad you like the Youtube videos. I saw your post on the other FMA discussion thread and responded there. But for those following this thread, I thought I'd post the reply here as well.

I am not planning on relocating to Texas right now. I am starting a training group in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area. This Five-Day series of classes is kickstarting the training group and we will be teaching functional Filipino fighting methods out of the DFW area.

Thanks and stay safe!

Respects,
Guro Mike Pana

OP
M

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
McMoon

I answered in response to your original post about good schools "but what I'm wanting to know is if any are any good and reputable and at a reasonable price", but I was wondering too, like pgsmith and Gruo Pana what arts are YOU interested in? What are YOUR goals? What are YOUR needs in a school etc. etc. besides say location and price? Than I might be of more help if you are truly interested.

Guro Pana
Are you relocating to the DFW area? Or is this going to be a training group? Just wondering. I checked out some of your U Tube videos from your web site. Your material looked pretty good.

Mark

Well first to answer your question I am interested in judo, kenpo/kempo, a more traditional style of jujutsu(basically not bjj), or even hapkido. While I named these arts I would be more than happy to try out other martial arts and by no means am closed minded. While I like competition it is not mandatory and just wanting it to be self defense applicable which doesnt really rule out many martial arts since most are applicable to an extent. I work out on my own so getting in shape is not really mandatory either while I would like the school to take pride in physical fitness and strive to not only train to improve techniques but improve themselves as whole which would include physical fitness.

P.S. I replied to your post in my other thread as well and could give you more insight as well

thanks for the information and replies

Latest Discussions