Tang Yik pole vs "others"

Discussion in 'Wing Chun' started by wckf92, Sep 27, 2017.

1. KPM

KPM Senior Master

How does the article's info "jive" with discussion we had further up this thread?

2. wckf92

wckf92 Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    Seems to be what the article is hinting at...

Maybe if you deleted the "emphasized" moves...it would be shorter and more 'to the point'?

The article mentions that more circling type motions are not in line with the directness normally associated with WC. Makes one wonder...if a WC pole form contains large or larger Huen methods, is it no longer WC?

I'm starting to think the "original" WC (empty hand and/or both weapons) may well have been in the San Sik format. Just my gut feeling.

The more I read the more I'm starting to see this could be the case...

Might also explain why now we have SOOOO MANY different versions of it all... haha

It seems to say that YM's pole came from Tang Yiks...but that there is a 3.5 pole out there too.
    Also, some of the listed "principles or points" look familiar with others' as stated in this thread and the one you had started a while back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Eric_H

Eric_H Black Belt

Sorry man, but that statement makes my BS detector go off so hard it broke. Gate theory is a pole/spear concept (live + dead side) and Chi Sao is very clearly derived from the double swords. Per my own line's history, WC was made by a fusion of monk + military knowledge (debatable, I know). From what I've studied, what we do comes from the weapons, not the other way around. If you look outside of WC, this is pretty consistent across many TCMA.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. geezer

geezer Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    There is so much in WC empty hand theory that relates to weapon usage that I totally get where you are coming from. Bruce Lee famously made connections with fencing. And I encounter conceptual parallels with weapons usage in Escrima and Hema all the time... but as to which came first? That's a "chicken or the egg" argument. Both the empty-handed and weapons concepts that are at the core of WC existed long before the WC lineages we practice today emerged in the 19th Century. Most likely they evolved together with a shared conceptual base.

On the other hand, one guy I know, who is very well informed, does believe that the Biu Tze form was specifically designed to incorporate principles taken from the Baat cham dao.

• Like Like x 1