Learning Taekwondo from Video

Devlin76

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There was an interesting thread in the Internal Chinese Martial Arts section about learning Taijiquan from video. I was just curious if the thoughts about learning Taekwondo from video would be the same or different. Taekwondo is arguably a simpler style/system since it is more external and linear, so what do you all think about the possibility of someone learning at least the gup level material of Taekwondo from video?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Short Summary of My Opinion:

It is definitely possible to learn some things from a video, even if you are a rank beginner. Generally, the more simpler the movement, the more likely it is possible. Compound movements are not good candidates for transmission this way, and neither are any techniques that require a lot of physical sensitivity and partner feedback such as joint locks.

It should be realized from the start that it is extremely unlikely anyone could learn substantially without a physical teacher; learning from a video cannot even began to compare to training under an expert, and successful students need some type of two-way feedback and correction in place. At the same time, it's illogical to think that a curriculum could not be intelligently designed such that some appropriate topics could be covered mostly through asynchronous learning methods such as video/book. Just because it has not been done traditionally in the past due to barriers like technology or funding or cultural norms, doesn't mean it could not be done successfully with the right people and resources in place.

Not all people would like to learn or teach this way or frankly, would be able to, which is fine.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that it is not possible. I started training 2-3 days a week with a very good instructor and would regularly go to his house away from class to learn extra plus attended training camps and I still found learning tkd (properly) was difficult, so to try learning from a video seems impossible from my experience. Learning/memorizing a bunch of moves is not learning the art, to learn the art you need hands on instruction regularly, particularly in the gup ranks. I feel that now as a black belt I would be better equiped to learn from a video because I know how the art "works" and so could read between the lines a bit when learning off a video. In saying that I dont rely on videos/youtube for any part of my training.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd question whether Tae Kwon Do is really simpler, but that's food for an entirely different thread.

I'd say that video or online training can be a valuable supplement to formal training, but in no way would it be a replacement.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, it is very possible for someone to learn form video, but it is not for eveyone. I have used videos and books to supplement my training with an instructor. By doing this, I accelerated my progression dramatically.

I have competed against people at toruneys that learned their forms from books or video and they were technically identical to their traditionally trained counterparts. Some were even better. I would say that you need to have a pretty solid base to build from. If you are still learning the basics, it will be considerably more difficult to learn anything.

It would be better if you could have someone assess the forms as you go to make sure they are correct and done properly.

And truly, it all comes down to what you wish to do with it. If you are just wanting to expand your own knowledge, go for it. If you wish to teach it, I think you need to get some help and make sure your students know you are "self-taught."

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The bottom line here is the word supplement.

Your body would not do well if you only ate nutritional supplements.
Your skills would not do well if you only practiced from video.

Supplements can help fill gaps or add where extra is wanted, but it should not be used as the foundation.

Carl

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There was an interesting thread in the Internal Chinese Martial Arts section about learning Taijiquan from video. I was just curious if the thoughts about learning Taekwondo from video would be the same or different. Taekwondo is arguably a simpler style/system since it is more external and linear, so what do you all think about the possibility of someone learning at least the gup level material of Taekwondo from video?
Some people learn in an entirely visual way. They are the ones who will get the most mileage from a video course.

I am of the opinion that if want to learn taekwondo, you need more than a video. You need a live instructor who can see what you're doing wrong and correct it. You cannot always see the mistakes that you are making.

If a person's interest in video learning is for fun and personal enjoyment, then that is fine, but video training as the sole or primary means of instruction is incomplete at best. Videos make good supplementary material. The medium should not be asked to deliver beyond what it is capable of.

Daniel

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you have no other alternative, video is better than nothing. I do believe for tournament purposes, video tape is invaluable to see one's weaknesses and also the weaknesses of your opponent. When you reach a certain level, you fight the same people over and over, so if you have video of them, it can definitely help you prepare. I know there was a ten or fifteen year period when I would watch video for one to two hours everyday of tournament footage or other kinds of stuff, often times rewinding and slow motion or frame by frame stuff. But all that paid off because people used to tell me I had "esp" because I could predict what someone was going to do before they did it. I prefer video tape over dvd, because I cannot do frame by frame on my player. Now I hardly watch anything, not even on youtube. I must have at least 400 or more videos on korean martial arts. I used to get all of Mark Williams' stuff for example.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the others who have said that it can be a great supplement to one's training, but no substitute for an instructor who can be the guide to help one do it well. A few years ago, I changed where I was teaching my classes from a space with mirrors to a space without mirrors. For the last 3 years, I'd been training without being able to see how I was doing my techniques. A few weeks ago, I began training in a room with mirrors again and I was finally able to see my techniques. Wow, was THAT not a minute too soon! Now I can correct myself because I know how I'm doing. Learning from a video can be a benefit for a student. But having someone to mirror back to the student constructive critiques is where the student can really start to learn.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
A few years ago, I changed where I was teaching my classes from a space with mirrors to a space without mirrors. For the last 3 years, I'd been training without being able to see how I was doing my techniques. A few weeks ago, I began training in a room with mirrors again and I was finally able to see my techniques.

I think a mirror is an indispensable tool for the Taekwondoin, especially for form work. You have to see how you are doing. Perhaps it is less important in weapon arts or grappling stuff.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think a mirror is an indispensable tool for the Taekwondoin, especially for form work. You have to see how you are doing. Perhaps it is less important in weapon arts or grappling stuff.
Don't know about grappling, but it is equally important in weapon work, particularly if the art contains solo forms, and likely for the same reasons that it is a valuable tool for the taekwondoin.

Daniel

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The bottom line here is the word supplement.

Your body would not do well if you only ate nutritional supplements.
Your skills would not do well if you only practiced from video.

Supplements can help fill gaps or add where extra is wanted, but it should not be used as the foundation.
Well stated. Nothing will beat feedback from a live instructor.

Latest Discussions